Page 882 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 38278283287288088188288388489293298213821882 ... LastLast
Results 22,026 to 22,050 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Smoking bans are immoral, unjust, and no laws at all. People have the right to smoke on their property if they want. The health department in this case is nothing but criminal extortionists.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    They committed a minor legal offense, it was reported, and the worst that can happen is that they'll be fined $100 if they do it again. Why is this sickening?

Because people at home watching the game on TV had nothing better to do than call in and tattle on them for smoking cigars where they shouldn't.

That's pathetic.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Cigars are a stupid celebratory device anyway. "Mouth Cancer - the ultimate symbol of suceess."

Quote Quoting Barty (view post)
    Smoking bans are immoral, unjust, and no laws at all. People have the right to smoke on their property if they want. The health department in this case is nothing but criminal extortionists.

Well, to be fair, I don't think anyone's being stopped from smoking on their own property are they?

I thought that in and around your own home you can smoke if you want?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Because people at home watching the game on TV had nothing better to do than call in and tattle on them for smoking cigars where they shouldn't.

That's pathetic.
    You do realize that you're doing essentially the same thing, right? I mean, you're sitting at home, reading the internet, and you have nothing better to do than tattle on these tattlers for tattling when they shouldn't have. So the baseball team gets a meaningless warning, and the tattlers get a meaningless public shaming.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    You do realize that you're doing essentially the same thing, right? I mean, you're sitting at home, reading the internet, and you have nothing better to do than tattle on these tattlers for tattling when they shouldn't have. So the baseball team gets a meaningless warning, and the tattlers get a meaningless public shaming.

You know what? You and your moral quandaries can go home.

[]

Earth-sized planet with livable climate found 20 light years away.

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today. "I have almost no doubt about it."

I guess this got lost on the last page.

Quite a big piece of news. I'm going to be following this to see how it develops.

Even if they find some kind of plant life, that would be incredible.

Thinking about ditching cable, especially once Hulu Plus is available on PS3 w/o PS3 plus.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Really, other than in an effort to try and grab hold of the youthful need to socialize and spend money, I have no idea why anyone would live in New York City. Great place to visit, and the coolest people I've ever met, but it's a miserable place to live. How do you like it so far, eights? Meg, have you moved yet? Did I miss that news?

So far, it's had the opposite effect of miserable on me, but your view is not exactly uncommon. There are many here who HATE IT to death.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Thinking about ditching cable, especially once Hulu Plus is available on PS3 w/o PS3 plus.
    Ditching cable was one of my smartest decisions last year.

I guess this got lost on the last page.

Quite a big piece of news. I'm going to be following this to see how it develops.

Even if they find some kind of plant life, that would be incredible.
    I'm not sure what else can happen. They found a planet that is likely to be able to sustain life. There is no way any of us (or our children, or their children) will live long enough for this to matter. The planet is 20 light years away. It might as well be on the other side of the universe, even with whatever technologies we develop over the next 100 years it'll still be out of our reach. We would need to develop a spacecraft that can travel 671 million mph just to be able to reach the planet in 20 years, let alone the 20 year wait for a signal to be sent back to Earth to tell us what it found. Our fastest current technology allows us to send a probe at around 38,000 mph (Voyager 1 is still the fastest I believe). We would have to improve our technology so that we can send spacecraft 17500+ times faster than we are currently able to, even though we haven't improved on what we sent up 30 years ago. Until we are able to bend space/time to make the distance "shorter," this is nothing but non-news or maybe pre-news for our descendants many years down the line.

A note: Voyager 1, the fastest man-made object has gone 2/1000th of a light year in 33 years.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Really, other than in an effort to try and grab hold of the youthful need to socialize and spend money, I have no idea why anyone would live in New York City. Great place to visit, and the coolest people I've ever met, but it's a miserable place to live. How do you like it so far, eights? Meg, have you moved yet? Did I miss that news?

No, I am leaving on October 12th.

...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Ditching cable was one of my smartest decisions last year.
    I just moved into my new place and am planning on not getting cable. What do I need for my HD-TV to get just the basic networks? Rabbit ears or is there something better/easier?

Speaking of the move, I'm so excited to have pretty much everything in place and organized. I can already tell how nice it's going to be to have all this space to myself, not to mention the joy of knocking off an hour a day from the daily commute.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I just moved into my new place and am planning on not getting cable. What do I need for my HD-TV to get just the basic networks? Rabbit ears or is there something better/easier?

Speaking of the move, I'm so excited to have pretty much everything in place and organized. I can already tell how nice it's going to be to have all this space to myself, not to mention the joy of knocking off an hour a day from the daily commute.
    I should have been clearer. I watch everything through my computer now. My monitor is way nice, much more so than my TV, so it just made sense for me to go that route. I just stream what I want to watch. No sports is the trade off, but really if it's an event I need to see I'll just go to a local bar.

The daily commute. Let me tell you how much I miss the 405 to the 55 Fwy commute at 5 PM in my beater manual transmission Bronco with no AC.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I bought a digital tuner to watch network shows on my television, although I also generally watch things on my computer. It works fairly well, although reception can be a little hit-or-miss depending on your area.
    ...and the milk's in me.

You know, I'm not a particularly nice person.

But for some reason, I am a sucker for lost causes. Desperate people find me like lost puppies and I always say I'm not going to get involved, and I always do.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    You know, I'm not a particularly nice person.
    You're definitely quirky, but I think this is not true. It may be what you believe about yourself, but it's just not what the people sense in you. "Lost causes" in particular.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    You're definitely quirky, but I think this is not true. It may be what you believe about yourself, but it's just not what the people sense in you. "Lost causes" in particular.
    I don't mean I'm an awful person or anything, but I know that I'm temperamental and I can be quite cutting when I'm angry. And I'm not randomly compassionate to strangers on the street like some of my friends.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Desperate people find me like lost puppies and I always say I'm not going to get involved, and I always do.
    What happened?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    What happened?
    I've got about four pity projects going right now, but I'm most embarrassed that I'm trying to get my new roommate a job at my work because she's broke.

I know this is a bad idea. I KNOW IT.

In three months when I come in here ranting and foaming at the mouth, feel free to quote and mock me.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The fact that you took on someone who's jobless and broke as a roommate means that you are a nice person.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm not a particularly nice person.
    :lol:

Joke of the day.

I just came back from a bar where I found my fav. daughter-in-law for my first-born. Too bad he is not allowed to such bars yet.

I've got about four pity projects going right now, but I'm most embarrassed that I'm trying to get my new roommate a job at my work because she's broke.

I know this is a bad idea. I KNOW IT.

In three months when I come in here ranting and foaming at the mouth, feel free to quote and mock me.
    Instead of quoting and mocking you further down the line I'd prefer to tell you now not to do that. You're right, it is a bad idea. I suggest one of two things.

1) If she's behind on the rent give her notice to either pay up or get out.
    2) Help her apply to get a job somewhere else (perhaps network, use a friend of yours). Better to owe a friend a favor then to have to deal with this individual day in and day out.

Even in the best situations living and working with a roommate is not ideal. But in a situation where she started living with you and doesn't seem to have a job or reliable source of income, and where elements of her behavior are already trying to grate you, yeah, it's a terrible idea.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+