Page 819 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 31971976980981781881982082182986991913191819 ... LastLast
Results 20,451 to 20,475 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

You can say whatever you want, to whomever you want. It's probably not a good idea to say "nigger" or "nigga" to or about a black person, if ever, if you're a white guy, especially if you're not keen on offending, hurting, condescending to, or putting down someone.

The word has evolved the way it has. That's just where we are. There's myriad opinions on the word, in any number of ethnic communities.

Why does it upset you so much that other groups "can" say what you, a white male, "cannot" say?

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Why does it upset you so much that other groups "can" say what you, a white male, "cannot" say?

That really doesn't upset me at all. Like DaMU said, I pretty much just leave the word alone.

If I'm going to be racist, I'll make Irish "mick" jokes, because I myself am of Irish ancestry. Or I will make Dutch jokes to my Dutch friends.

And we laugh.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

There is no fairness in vocabulary.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    It's just that the situation with blacks directing unwarranted hatred towards whites in general is something I have, myself, seen. And it leaves me befuddled.
    It's not exactly unwarranted. The state of the inner cities (poverty, lack of education, drugs) came about due to a lot of things white people did. It's not like "Oh slavery. That's been outlawed since the days of Lincoln. Get over it black people!"

My stance on white people, combined with the Louis CK clip can be summed up here:

[youtube]4Gfnke34LQw[/youtube]

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Looks like I have to repost this.
    OK, yes, this was hilarious.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

If it makes you feel any better meg, that black guy who kills a white guy for saying "nigger" would be more likely to get capital punishment, so white people still kinda have the edge on that one.

Ah Wonder Showzen! My favorite from that show:

[youtube]Hf-xePlM-zg[/youtube]

There is no fairness in vocabulary.
    To elaborate, there's nothing inherently "wrong" with the fact that it's socially acceptable for black people to say certain words while it is not acceptable for white people to do the same. I don't think it's about entitlement, and anyone who says that they can lay claim to a word is obviously fucking retarded. It's merely an issue of sensitivity. Just how sensitive you want to appear to others? If you say "yo, nigger" to a black person and you get beat up for it, well, that shit's heinous, but in truth, what the fuck was your intention doing that in the first place, when you already know that it's generally not a good idea?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm unable to watch that clip, Derek. It says embedding is disabled by YouTube.

With something like achieving a high school diploma, I really see absolutely no reason why anyone of any race or financial circumstance can not reach that level.

Public education up to high school graduation is free all across North America. If, as a parent, you do not put your kids through school at least to the level of high school graduation, you have absolutely no one to blame for their having "no future" other than yourself.

It's a free service that can and will make or break your child's ability to make it in society. A high school diploma can get you a job. It may not be a wonderful job, but it's a job. And with a job you can save, continue your education, and get something better.

Similarly I feel there is no excuse for people who choose to continue the cycle of poverty by dropping out of high school and having 3 kids before the age of 20, then bringing them up on welfare. When there are contraceptives readily available and abortion is becoming a similarly readily available and socially acceptable practice, there is no reason at all for this to happen, let alone at the incredible rate it does.

You are ignoring just how maddeningly powerful social influence and conditioning are.

Watch The Wire.
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The closest I come to racial jokes is, for example, telling an Asian person to go back to Africa. Everyone can laugh at inept racism.

And I think it's been established here that beating someone up or killing them for any reason is ridiculous.
    Let it not be said that Match Cut isn't a force for good in this world.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The closest I come to racial jokes is, for example, telling an Asian person to go back to Africa. Everyone can laugh at inept racism.
    Yeah, that's a pretty adorable joke.

You are ignoring just how maddeningly powerful social influence and conditioning are.

Watch The Wire.
    Good advice. It's a place to start.

During my nap this afternoon I dreamed that D_Davis changed his avatar to a white background with red lettering that said, "This is funnier in Dutch."

So.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Things we learned today:

1) "Nigger" is an offensive word.

2) Killing is bad.

3) White people dominate.

4) Mara dreams about Match-Cut.
    Movie Theater Diary

4) Mara dreams about Match-Cut.
    I would say it was the first time, if that weren't a complete and total lie.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Man, is this a Match Cut rerun? I think this might be a rerun.

Catching up on AwkwardFamilyPets and dear sweet heaven. Might be a little NSFW.
    ...and the milk's in me.

She's sexy. And the owner is cute too.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Yeah, that's a pretty adorable joke.
    The context for that was a group of three Asian friends joking around, calling me a cracker, and my response was intended to mock racism by upping the idiocy (and making the "joke" on me). It deflated the entire situation (they laughed, we all moved on), but if you do think it offensive, please tell me. The only person I wanted to insult was myself.

"Nigger" is a bad word no matter who says it. And racism is bad no matter who engages in it and towards whom.

Can we agree on this?

And racism is bad no matter who engages in it and towards whom.
    Spoken like a man who has never met a Samoan.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Spoken like a man who has never met a Samoan.

I admit, I don't even know what this means.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The context for that was a group of three Asian friends joking around, calling me a cracker, and my response was intended to mock racism by upping the idiocy (and making the "joke" on me). It deflated the entire situation (they laughed, we all moved on), but if you do think it offensive, please tell me. The only person I wanted to insult was myself.
    I sincerely meant it. It's a cute joke.