Page 714 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 21461466470471271371471571672476481412141714 ... LastLast
Results 17,826 to 17,850 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Leonard Nimoy signs all his tweets with "LLAP". That is just too awesome.

Has anyone ever seen The Mikado? Is it good?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Has anyone ever seen The Mikado? Is it good?
    I love it. As a primer, you should watch Topsy-Turvy. I think it's much more fun than Pirates, which has become too much of a holy cow for me to get entirely behind (but I still like it).

I love Pirates, but I'm woefully unfamiliar with most of G&S's other work. Mikado is playing in DC, so I may go.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I love Pirates, but I'm woefully unfamiliar with most of G&S's other work. Mikado is playing in DC, so I may go.
    It's not PC, but that goes without saying, right? Keep in mind that it is not PC. I'm very bored with people complaining about how offensive it is.

One time, I was the manager (and sole worker) in a warehouse shipping, stocking, and assembling foreign language kits. It was a great job, as it allowed me a lot of ME time. And one way I utilized that time was to read nearly every play by G&S. It was some very fun times.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it. If you like Pirates, you ought to like this. This is less of a comic romp, though it has plenty of comedy. And I'm telling you: check out Topsy-Turvy. It's one of the great films about theater.

Turns out the three days of horrible internet connection were due to upgrades... T-Com doubled my internet speed for the same price.ritch:

My mother put down our family dog of almost 15 years this morning. I hadn't seen her since Christmas. I'll miss her.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    My mother put down our family dog of almost 15 years this morning. I hadn't seen her since Christmas. I'll miss her.

I'm so sorry, Sycophant.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    My "childhood" dog (got her when I was 13) died just a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen her much in recent years (living far away from my parents who kept her). It was a sad story though. She had developed a couple years ago a large cyst/tumor on her lower back and she never seemed in pain and the biopsy would have been hundreds of dollars and my parents weren't able to really spend the necessary costs for treatment should it be malignent, so we just always hoped it was simply a large fat deposit. But over the last year or so she had gotten a little worse, moving a bit slower but every time I would visit or someone else would see her she'd perk up and she still always looked forward to walking along the golf course where my parents live. Then, about three months ago, she was getting very bad and my parents considered putting her down since they didn't know exactly how much pain she was in, but every time they considered it, she would have a good day and they would not go through with it. Then, about six weeks ago, my dad woke up and she was laying in the corner of the room, awake and breathing very heavy. He decided right then to have her put to sleep that day. My mom went to work, saying goodbye and my dad got ready and dressed. He laid the blanket in the cage and went to get her. She had crawled in the closet, he bent down and picked her up (she was a cocker spaniel, not too big) and she licked his face and that was it. She died.

It happened exactly like that. I'm damn near tearing up just typing it. Sorry if that is a little sad for anyone. It's both sad and somewhat nice the way she died. My dad adored that dog, so it was a nice ending. She didn't die ugly.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

My mother put down our family dog of almost 15 years this morning.
    That's what, almost 105 years? Impressive.
    I had a cat who made it 17 years on my side. Died years ago but I still miss him.
    Yes, was a black one. Never had another since.

Dang dude - that is a total bummer.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It happened exactly like that. I'm damn near tearing up just typing it. Sorry if that is a little sad for anyone. It's both sad and somewhat nice the way she died. My dad adored that dog, so it was a nice ending. She didn't die ugly.
    The poor girl. I'm glad she didn't suffer much.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Wow, Raiders. I'm sorry. That is sad and beautiful all at once, how she passed. :sad:

The situation with my dog is so similar. She was also a cocker spaniel, and we got her when I was 12. Since moving away in 2001, I'd seen her only a couple times per year. When I lived at the house, she was effectively MY dog, though, and she was heartbroken when I moved to college. She developed a heart problem, her always delicate digestive system got worse in her last year, and she was constantly shaking when sitting, but she still was active and happy right up to the end.

Sadie was my favorite non-human animal. And the only pet I've ever had that died while in our care. This is heartrending.

I haven't spoken directly to my mother yet about how it happened. I'll give her a call tonight.

Don't worry syco. She's up in there in Doggie Heaven playing with the Powerful Dog.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Very sorry for the losses Syc and Raiders. I was just reminiscing about my own dog last night. Even months later it can still bring watery eyes.

Man, I can make myself cry about a dog I had to have put down over 3 years ago. All I have to do is concentrate on that drive to the vet's office, and that look in the dog's eyes. Good god...I'm getting choked up now! Seriously.

My girlfriend's dog of 10 years died in her arms from heart failure as she was taking her to the vet. She was crying for weeks afterwards, and still can't talk about it without tearing up.:|

Seriously. You get me? Get me, though? Seriously. Get me?

Who here read X-Entertainment back in its heyday? Probably the funniest website of all time. At least that's how I remember it.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Who here read X-Entertainment back in its heyday? Probably the funniest website of all time. At least that's how I remember it.
    Oh, I remember that stuff. They used to do lots of funny stuff on GI Joe and Transformers, way back before they were fodder for movie franchises. I stopped going there when the site became way too cluttered with ads.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I love dogs like heavily maternal women love babies.

Domesticating the dog is one of our species' greatest achievements in terms of our humanity, imo.

I want a dog (non-family, just me) so badly, but I almost can't bring myself to do it because I can actually feel, palpably, how I will feel at the end, even should that be 15 years from now. I also can't take care of a dog right now, space/time-wise.

If a person attacked a dog in my presence, I would explode, utterly livid and pulsing with rage.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I don't think I could ever have a dog as good as Sadie. She was a wonderful creature. I can't imagine what it's gonna be like next time I go home and she's not there. We got her shortly after we moved into my mother's house 15 years ago.

One day, I think I'd like to get a dog for myself. I could conceivably take care of one now, but there are too many ambiguities and variables in the coming years to make that kind of commitment. I occasionally look at local pet shelter websites anyway (especially spaniels), and make myself feel sad.

Bus Stop DRAMA!!!

Today I walked up to my normal bus stop, which is just outside a community college. There was a girl there, somewhere close to her early 20s, yelling at somebody over her cell phone ...

Her: You said you were gonna go out with me and then you never called back! Look, I don't neeeed to be friends with you, I don't neeeeed to be your friend! So, I'm just going to go do something else, and you have fun.

She hung up. A moment later, her cell rang.

Her: What? Oh, I'm the pain in the ass? No, you're totally a pain in the ass! I don't neeeeeed this friendship, I have other friends. I don't neeeeeed to be friends with you.

She hung up. Her cell rang a moment later.

Her: What? Oh, I don't care! I told you, I don't neeeeed this friendship, ah-kay?

Hangs up. Rang. She answered.

Her: What?

At that point, I was tempted to tell her that she seemed incredibly needy to me, what with her answering every single phone call from this so-called friend, but I was too entertained by her behavior. I just wanted to listen. And she just kept doing it over and over until my bus arrived. I assume she kept going long after I left, too.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Oh, I remember that stuff. They used to do lots of funny stuff on GI Joe and Transformers, way back before they were fodder for movie franchises. I stopped going there when the site became way too cluttered with ads.
    Yeah - basically when they got bought up by UGO they sucked.

If I went to my kids' school and they performed this, I would be the proudest father in the world.

[youtube]6m5TuxdkfkE[/youtube]
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."