Page 665 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 16556561565566366466566666767571576511651665 ... LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,625 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

You have to wonder what went through his/their minds.

"Hmm, so Jay's been criticized a lot lately as being a backstabber douche, people have been saying that he incites the feeling of a money-hungry corporate shill stealing jobs from the good guys. When he comes back, we have to sell him. We have to make him likable again. We have to do promos that remind people why he's not all those things they say about him...

I know! How about we do one where he's zooming down the highway driving his expensive sports car, smirking winningly at the camera!"
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

When did they start posting latest Tweets from actors on their IMDB profiles?

My grandmother died last night.

:cry:

It was very, very unexpected. We knew something was wrong, but the nurse who had come by late yesterday afternoon was the first to tell us "This might be it" and told us to prepare for the end over the next couple of weeks. We were barely wrapping our minds around it, and grandma slipped away.

I was there in the room with her, and my mother, and we were just talking quietly and checking on her, and she was fine. Then she wasn't. We couldn't believe it.

We're doing... okay. I'm proud of how well my mother is handling everything so far. But we're trying to reach all her relatives and put together a funeral.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That sucks, Mara. Sorry for your loss.

Very sorry to hear that Mara. I hope she wasn't in pain or suffering. Hope your family is doing ok.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm bad at condolences, so I'm just gonna post this.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My condolences to you and your family, Mara.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Condolences, Mara.

I've got a grandpa and grandma who are 96 and 94, respectively, so I often worry about their loss.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Thanks, you guys. My grandmother was only 74, but has been seriously ill for a couple of years. She had Alzheimer's, and it advanced quite rapidly. She was a two time cancer survivor, with chemo and radiation and everything, and they think that maybe it aged her-- the stress and wear on your body is phenomenal. (Not that I'm complaining-- it kept her alive 15 years longer than otherwise.)

My poor mother is really suffering, but she's doing well, considering.
    ...and the milk's in me.

:sad: Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Mara. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I'm so sorry, Mara. :sad: I hope all of you get through this OK. I know that losing a grandparent can be very hard.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

I'm so sorry, Mara. It always seems sudden. Best wishes to you and your family in the next while.

sorry to hear about that mara.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I'm very sorry for your loss Mara.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mara. :sad: My condolences.

I'm so sorry, Mara.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

A box of fun arrived today:

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    How do you guys deal with getting pissed off at work? Lately I've been trying to take at least one break a day where I go for a fifteen-minute walk with my iPod, but that's doing little to nothing. The unpredictability of everything drives me nuts, and my oblivious prick of a boss isn't helping.

Just a quick note about my grandmother: we've come up with a plan that (mostly) everyone is really happy about. We're not going to have a funeral right now. My grandmother wanted to be cremated so we're doing that right away, and then we're going to wait until spring and do a memorial service, and do the whole thing properly. With that much forewarning we'll really be able to gather together the extended family, and we want to make it special and planned-out. We really want to do it somewhere outside and beautiful-- like in the National Arboretum, or at a National Park-- and let everyone share favorite stories and sing songs, etc.

It would be much more in line with my grandmother's personality than to have it in a church (she's not religious) with a lot of stuffy talks and crying.

It's also a huge relief to my parents and I, since we're still kind of reeling, and aren't in a good place emotionally to be putting together a large event and hosting dozens of out-of-town relatives.

I feel really good about this plan.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Sorry to hear that, Mara. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    How do you guys deal with getting pissed off at work? Lately I've been trying to take at least one break a day where I go for a fifteen-minute walk with my iPod, but that's doing little to nothing. The unpredictability of everything drives me nuts, and my oblivious prick of a boss isn't helping.

I've taken to drinking quite heavily. I drink about 4 bottles of wine and 20 beers every week.

Sorry, that's probably not the response you were looking for.

But seriously, I am pretty frustrated with coworkers right now, too. I'm in a crappy situation where I have three different bosses, and frequently all three of them tell me something different.

On top of that, I'm paid peanuts for doing all of the work. I'm not even exaggerating when I say "all of the work" - I do it all, and they watch the cash roll in. The 15 year olds who work at the local grocery story get paid more than I do.

Needless to say I've started to look for employment elsewhere.

DaMU, is this a job you're trapped in or really wanting to advance in? Is this situation with your boss something that could potentially be rectified with a conversation?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    DaMU, is this a job you're trapped in or really wanting to advance in? Is this situation with your boss something that could potentially be rectified with a conversation?
    Nah, he's a d-bag who got his job cause he's college buddies with the line producer. So he's not going to change or leave or anything. I was just looking for stress-relieving advice, because there's not much that can be done immediately.

I'm also looking for other employment opportunities.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Nah, he's a d-bag who got his job cause he's college buddies with the line producer. So he's not going to change or leave or anything. I was just looking for stress-relieving advice, because there's not much that can be done immediately.

I'm also looking for other employment opportunities.

Well, bac0n, KF and I were planning to open a strip joint called "Burgers, Beer and Boobies". If you want, we could crunch the numbers again and see if there's room for one more person at the top.

DAMU has an awesome job working for a television show. I would imagine it's a great place to network with good oportunities for advancement, even if he's unhappy with the way it is right now. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've had a number of jobs where I get phone-breakingly angry. I'm not sure there's a magic solution, although a little sunlight, music and exercise sure ain't a bad idea. It's terrible that it isn't working.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I've had a number of jobs where I get phone-breakingly angry. I'm not sure there's a magic solution, although a little sunlight, music and exercise sure ain't a bad idea. It's terrible that it isn't working.

Have you ever had a job where one of your bosses leaves you alone during peak hours so he can go upstairs and have sex with one of the customers' wives?

Or where one of your bosses (same guy) takes 3 weeks vacation between December 15th and January 15th, then gives you shit for getting 4 days off in March?