Page 1980 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 9801480188019301970197819791980198119821990 ... LastLast
Results 49,476 to 49,500 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

So I just learned a fun little story editing this book on Tucson.

During the Great Depression, people were outta jobs, lost their money, despondent as all get out, as you can well imagine. Well, in the Tucson area, one newspaper editor decided to try to cheer families and kids up by hiring Santa to appear for a parade. Standard stuff, right? Well, he thought, let's take this to the next level and hire a guy to jump out of a plane and parachute to the site dressed as Santa, and then they could start the parade. Brilliant. Given the times, though, many people were self-medicating with alcohol, including the guy the editor hired. So he was out. Next best thing? Find a department store mannequin, slap Santa's clothes on it and the parachute, get it on a plane and give them instructions to pull the cord as they shoved it out over the site. When he reached the ground, they'd swap out with some earthbound person-Santa and the parade could proceed. Well, as I'm sure you can imagine, what actually happened is that they did not pull the cord when they shoved him out. And given that he was a mannequin, he could not pull his own cord. So, for all the families and children watching below, it looked for all the world like Santa plummeting earth-ward and smashing into the ground at whatever the terminal velocity for a mannequin is. Parents were furious. Children just came apart at the seams. Absolutely undone distraught. Crying for hours. And all of this happened, remember, during the Great Fucking Depression.
    Last edited by Wryan; 07-02-2021 at 11:58 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I shouldn’t be laughing this hard.

But I am.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yep, I'm laughing as well. Gonna try to not choke on a baby carrot.

The town my store is in painted one of their crosswalks with pride colours on July 1st.

By the 2nd (yesterday) it was already vandalized.

Just drove past it coming to work and it's already completely destroyed.

People are great.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I downloaded a language learning app on my phone. It makes learning the language a bit like a video game, so I'm all over this thing, lol. It asked what language I wanted to learn, and I was honestly torn between Italian -- impractical, but I REALLY want to visit Italy someday -- and Spanish -- very practical and could actually be used relatively frequently. I went with Spanish. So far, so good. It doesn't require a subscription, you can watch advertisements in place of that, but I may actually subscribe to this. Duolingo, in case anybody is curious.
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 07-06-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

People who are proud of the fact that they never cry and talk it up like it's some kind of flex are really weird.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    People who are proud of the fact that they never cry and talk it up like it's some kind of flex are really pyschopaths.
    I altered that a smidge

I cried a bit yesterday at a stupid youtube video of a couple reacting to Aliens for the first time

Producer
    The new Little Women is leaving my Netflix so I rewatched that and cried at the double ill-Beth scene all over again.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

While Bac0n and Spun are getting sloppy at the beer festival, I’ll be moving a bunch of shit into our newly finished basement. No regrets.

And I’m throwing a brisket on late tonight to gorge on once me and some of the guys are done moving heavy shit.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Got a PM on here saying someone's sister found a nice man on here for sex, and now she's interested in me for the same!

Man, my MatchCut membership is really paying off!

Enjoy the sloppy seconds, bro. *flexes*

Overnight brisket with long rest is the best brisket I’ve ever done. Few hour rest on the flat while the burnt ends caramelized.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to iced my back. Reverse bench pressing heavy shit down the stairs will leave me sore, but awkward lifts all day will Jack my back up for days.

Pictures and video have come out of Mel Gibson saluting Trump at the MMA fight the other night.

Dude has lost his mind completely.

Saluting like american army saluting or saluting like Hitler saluting?

One is odd and one is evil.

Military salute.

Am I right in thinking its friggin weird for a citizen to salute a military person (not Trump, but any military in general)? Thats not a thing, is it? Or does Gibson have a military background I'm unaware of?

Was it a full on click the heels chin-up salute, or was a more casual hey there yes sir type of salute?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Was it a full on click the heels chin-up salute, or was a more casual hey there yes sir type of salute?
    It was a full on salute.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Am I right in thinking its friggin weird for a citizen to salute a military person (not Trump, but any military in general)? Thats not a thing, is it? Or does Gibson have a military background I'm unaware of?
    No, you're not wrong. It's really weird and tacky.

But you know what's worse?

When the US President salutes the military generals of one of the world's last standing fascist dictatorships.

- - - - -
    TBH, it looks like a casual gesture mimicking a salute, with Gibson holding the pose until he's sure Trump sees him. I think calling it military is overselling it.

Gibson was raised crazy by crazy parents and he might be crazy, but, if so, he's also crazy in a mostly private context. He does shit and says shit without trying to sway public opinion. He might hold noxious ideals and rancid opinions, but then I think you should be allowed to have shitty opinions in private.

That's also the main diff between him and a lot of other loudmouth shitheels, and it's weird to me the online mob of narcs and gossips can't tell the difference between someone like Mel Gibson and someone like James Woods or Kirstie Alley.

How do you go from directing a whole movie about Desmond T. Doss to saluting Trump?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    TBH, it looks like a casual gesture mimicking a salute, with Gibson holding the pose until he's sure Trump sees him. I think calling it military is overselling it.

Gibson was raised crazy by crazy parents and he might be crazy, but, if so, he's also crazy in a mostly private context. He does shit and says shit without trying to sway public opinion. He might hold noxious ideals and rancid opinions, but then I think you should be allowed to have shitty opinions in private.

That's also the main diff between him and a lot of other loudmouth shitheels, and it's weird to me the online mob of narcs and gossips can't tell the difference between someone like Mel Gibson and someone like James Woods or Kirstie Alley.
    I see your point, I do. And I agree.

BUT...

Neither James Woods or Kirstie Alley were recorded making anti semitic and sexually explicit comments to a female police officer during a DUI stop where they were found to absolutely most definitely be driving while blasted.

And I 100% agree with you that people should be able to have their beliefs and live their lives how they want privately. That's a cornerstone of our society that I would never want changed. But a vast majority of Trumpers' beliefs and practices involve stopping others from doing that, as well as openly encouraging the harassment of people that don't live the way they approve. So, saluting that guy? Gross.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    How do you go from directing a whole movie about Desmond T. Doss to saluting Trump?
    Maybe he saw it more from the perspective of "even a conscientious objector can be a good soldier."
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Simple observation: That’s a casual salute, something I do all the time. Do I agree with the context? No. But that is NOT a YESSIR superior office salute.