Page 1901 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 90114011801185118911899190019011902190319111951 ... LastLast
Results 47,501 to 47,525 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Same question as meg: How do you discover things on the web? How do you get your news?

Kinda curious what everyone's morning routine is like. (I come here and then I go to twitter, just to get a sense of what's going on in the world.)
    I hit up a few local news sites, a couple national ones, and a couple international ones, then do a few scrolls through Facebook.

I also keep an eye on the markets, and of course scan the MC.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I usually scroll through Instagram, maybe Twitter if I'm not in a rush, then hit up a few entertainment and movie news sites (The AV Club, Dark Horizons, Pitchfork) while eating, fiddle with Letterboxd based on what I watched the night before, and listen to either The Daily or Up First podcasts in the shower and on the ride to work.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Constantly amazed how fucking stupid twitter is. Its like edgelords from 2003. I make what I think is a controversial tweet...2 likes, no comments. I tweet something off-hand that is undeniable fact and not the least bit controversial, 12 like, 75 comments attacking the shit outta me by nameless nobodies who clearly did no read the tweet. Its a total shit site.
    Do you have multiple accounts? o.O

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Do you have multiple accounts? o.O
    Yeeees, but not really a burner account, if that makes sense. One for me, one for the podcast, and one called Fuck You and the only thing it has ever posted is "Fuck You". That last one is just for when I'm feeling randy lol. Its never got any attention or response. I believe if you're gonna make statements on social, your name should be attached to it.

Chatted with some pissed of home remodelers at Menards this morning. Trying to find just a decent dust mask is next to impossible to find around here. They say all the big stores have shipped most of them to China, (Might want to take that with a grain of salt). They said you can still find them at auto parts stores. Anyways, they still had the half mask respirators and filters. Grabbed some goggles too. Really hope I don’t need to use that combo.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quit Twitter for Lent just in time for life to turn into It Comes At Night.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Wanted to invest in the biggest company for respirators, but they aren't publicly traded.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

You know, one can say a lot about Twitter, but it's probably the only place where someone like me can interact with both my favorite podcast host and one of my favorite critics in a single day.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

I still love physical media.

Die hard horror movie collector.

So much of this stuff isn't available to stream or download and I'm afraid it never will be.

I'm scared we are flat out losing a lot of stuff in this transition to digital media.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Hmm. I never thought about that. What movies are you worried about Meg? I may need to run through my favorite movie list and gobble up some DVDs before it's too late.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hmm. I never thought about that. What movies are you worried about Meg? I may need to run through my favorite movie list and gobble up some DVDs before it's too late.
    A lot of the lesser known horrors and genre stuff that gets released on DVD / BluRay by companies like Kino Lorber, Arrow, Synapse Films, etc.

I would also worry about a lot of the classic kung fu flicks. Many of them never got proper western DVD releases to begin with, so they will be lost to obscurity unless someone backed them all up digitally and decided to share.

Think of a movie like Versus. I have it on DVD, but it's been out of print for the better part of 10 years, and never got a widewestern bluray release. Just some small print limited release that's now $300.

I seriously doubt there's a streaming service that would add Versus to their library.

So outside my DVD copy, I don't expect I'll ever see it available again.

Edit: looks like that's a bad example, as its available to rent for $5 on Amazon in the USA. Nothing in Canada, though.
    Last edited by megladon8; 03-02-2020 at 08:18 PM.

- - - - -
    "Versus" is still a good example tho because it's the kinda movie genre fans remember and everybody else forgets.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/versus-2000

There's a slew of Japanese horror movies made during that period that aren't talked about too much and are, I imagine, difficult to find.

But physical media has its own problems (bit rot, old players).

I'd like to see real, actual copyright reform so that smaller movies don't disappear or aren't trapped and plagued by rights issues.

"Versus" is still a good example tho because it's the kinda movie genre fans remember and everybody else forgets.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/versus-2000

There's a slew of Japanese horror movies made during that period that aren't talked about too much and are, I imagine, difficult to find.

But physical media has its own problems (bit rot, old players).

I'd like to see real, actual copyright reform so that smaller movies don't disappear or aren't trapped and plagued by rights issues.
    Agreed.

I feel like we are at a point where there's no excuse for films (or art of any kind) to be lost to obscurity.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I didn't even realize Versus was out of print. That's a copy I own.

I would also throw Hard Boiled and the Killer on that list.

I feel like the horror stuff is everywhere, more than the Japanese films.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I didn't even realize Versus was out of print. That's a copy I own.

I feel like the horror stuff is everywhere, more than the Japanese films.
    I've still never been able to get a copy of The Killer.

Back when Dragon Dynasty was releasing all those flicks, I remember reading something about their transfer of it being flawed, so I never went for it.

Now I wish I had. Never even seen it.

- - - - -
    Oh my God you touched on a big one there. I'm always shocked that Woo's earlier movies are so hard to find. I think there was a Criterion edition of "The Killer" sometime in the 90s and then it went out of print and the film virtually disappeared.

Ditto early work from some pretty big Hong Kong names, like Johnny To's "Heroic Trio" from 1993, which isn't available to stream.

BTW, does anyone remember a late 90s, maybe early 2000s, Japanese horror film featuring two teenage girls as vampire hunters? I think "vampire" was in the title. It was sorta horror-comedy and one of the movies Weinstein butchered, for a U.S. release.

BTW, does anyone remember a late 90s, maybe early 2000s, Japanese horror film featuring two teenage girls as vampire hunters? I think "vampire" was in the title. It was sorta horror-comedy and one of the movies Weinstein butchered, for a U.S. release.
    The Twins Effect

It was released as Vampire Effect in the U.S.

(Or that's my guess. It's a Hong Kong film.)
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    The Twins Effect

It was released as Vampire Effect in the U.S.
    AHHHH THANK YOU !!!!

When Meg mentioned "Versus," it somehow popped into my head and I could picture the DVD cover but couldn't remember the title.

The Twins Effect

For quite a long time, Lost Highway was only available widescreen on laserdisc. I'm still not sure if the dvd thats out there isn't pan and scan? I'll have to look.

I still maintain the only legal copies of the unaltered Star Wars OT in widescreen is my laserdisc set.

I still collect vhs because a lot of movies never even made it to dvd.

Theres no arguing digital media is convenient. I've been collecting for over 30 years, and not about to stop...ever.
    Last edited by Skitch; 03-02-2020 at 10:30 PM.

I still maintain the only legal copies of the unaltered Star Wars OT in widescreen is my laserdisc set.
    They were included as "bonus features" on the second discs in the 2006 (?) DVD release. They're not anamorphic and I believe are just the laserdisc transfers, but they look and sound pretty nice.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

...some research later...

It looks like the aspect ratio on the dvd of Lost Highway is correct, but I've heard (and read) nothing but complaints on the look and sound of the transfer.

...some more research later...

Well holy shit they finally released it on blu-ray. I'll be buying that soon.
    Last edited by Skitch; 03-02-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Well... Peer to peer file sharing is our friend.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-03-2020 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    They were included as "bonus features" on the second discs in the 2006 (?) DVD release. They're not anamorphic and I believe are just the laserdisc transfers, but they look and sound pretty nice.
    Arent those pan and scan?

Arent those pan and scan?
    Nope, correct aspect ratio, but they don't scale to a 16:9 TV, you have to zoom in. It's the 2.35:1 image with black bars above and below in a 4:3 package. Not ideal, but it is the widescreen originals on a DVD, which is the best official version of them available.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd