Page 1877 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 877137717771827186718751876187718781879188719271977 ... LastLast
Results 46,901 to 46,925 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

We need more MCers to see Greasy Strangler to firmly establish who's who of that civil war like CHUD and Speed Racer.

Hot take: I think it's okay to care about both Notre Dame's repair and non-Notre Dame tragedies. Even at the same time.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Hot take: I think it's okay to care about both Notre Dame's repair and non-Notre Dame tragedies. Even at the same time.
    Yeah. How about no?

Imagine a friend runs up and says their aunt was just in a car accident, what kind of person responds with, "But mine has cancer."

It's like yeah, and that sucks, but now is not the time.

Nothing makes me resent people on the left more than this type of petty bullshit.

The only thing that annoyed me about the Notre Dame thing was people posting their pictures at it from the past. It was kind of weird.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The only thing that annoyed me about the Notre Dame thing was people posting their pictures at it from the past. It was kind of weird.
    Totally.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yeah. How about no?
    I'm confused--are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? Tone is hard to read in a "Yes...but actually no" kind of post.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

It's funny how people seem to think $600-700 million, or whatever the pledged number is, is anything but a drop in the bucket in terms of solving any of the outstanding world problems like hunger in Africa etc.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

That's kind of what I was saying, although I probably could have been clearer with my language.

Every time some big international or national event/tragedy like this happens, there is inevitably some blowback from people who toss around things like, "Oh sure, you care about a building burning down now, but where were you when the churches in Louisiana were being set on fire!?" And I find that a tad unfair, almost as if these folks expect people to think, "Oh no! A cultural and historical icon is on fire! This is terrible! This is....wait a minute. I don't have time for this shit. There's Puerto Rico to worry about! And Flint! And black churches burning down! Fuck this.....ugly ass building anyway." While I understand it must be frustrating for people concerned about certain specific things to see the attention of the country shift away, they shouldn't stress that much about it--because it is going to happen. It's kind of our nature to react strongly to whatever's in front of us, maybe our collective key-jangling short attention span. But I don't think just because mass attention has shifted away that it ipso facto means the caring has shifted with it. Personally, I was shocked and saddened by the damage to ND and hope for its repair, but I do still care and check up on these other things too, most of which are actively being worked on regardless. I think there's a demand for people's attention that is unrealistic sometimes. With so many things happening daily--look at the multifarious suppurating wounds gashed in by the Trump administration for one simple example--it's difficult to keep focus on everything for the "appropriate" amount of time, whatever that even may be. But I think it's fine and possible for people to care about several things at once--to show emotion over ND for the moment it's happening but still have space in their minds and hearts for the other things on the back burner.

--Homer

I think in this case the blowback against donating money to rebuild Notre Dame is justified, given that the Catholic Church has more money than God.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Notre Dame is owned by the French government, not the Catholic Church.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    Notre Dame is owned by the French government, not the Catholic Church.
    They also have a lot of money. In any case, I'm sure the French government wouldn't turn down a donation from the Vatican, which could easily pay for the restoration itself.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

What baby doll is saying is a reality (the Vatican could theoretically pay to restore one of the most famous and ancient symbols of its franchise) but besides, I've been to Notre Dame, I didn't post the fucking picture but my Mom probably has it, I think it's a fucking tragedy same as the Library of Alexandria BUT... it's true that you don't see the same crocodile tears in the media over, I dunno, Palestinians bombed with French money.

It might be a leftist catchphrase to you but that doesn't make it any less true. It's an 800 year old mythical building that won't ever exist anymore. It's not wrong if its fall makes you ponder other things.

- - - - -
    TFW when you read an incredible piece of writing followed by ... absolute, absolute shit.

I want the goddamn algorithms to save me from bad writing. There's just so much of it.

- - - - -
    On the plus side, I heard a really great cover of "This Must Be the Place" on the radio today. So that was nice.

I'm sick as a dog so hey...I guess lets watch 9 hours of Westworld season 1. That was two hours ago. And I'm 3 deep in season 2.

- - - - -
    Dunno if you like crime/copy stories, Skitch, but "Bosch" season 5 debuted on Amazon today, too. Good show to kill time when you're sick.

I don't have Prime, sadly. Otherwise I would check it out.

On the plus side, I heard a really great cover of "This Must Be the Place" on the radio today. So that was nice.

Hmm...what to do today...

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Hmm...what to do today...

Are we looking at Topher Grace's desktop?

--Homer

- - - - -

He's always tweeted well. Except when he's overly aggressive towards the police force.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    In other news: I seriously enjoyed the public reaction to Olivia Munn's weird twitter essay/ freakout.

Catching up now!

In other news: I seriously enjoyed the public reaction to Olivia Munn's weird twitter essay/ freakout.
    Haven't heard about this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter