Page 1852 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 852135217521802184218501851185218531854186219021952 ... LastLast
Results 46,276 to 46,300 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

They would if I peed on them, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Am I weird for really enjoying a lot of different meats cold?

Steak, a nice chicken breast, a BBQ pork chop.

I’m not saying I prefer it to freshly grilled, but if I bring a steak or something to work for lunch, I often don’t reheat.

Please tell me you eat the cold meats with your bare hands like a caveman...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Please tell me you eat the cold meats with your bare hands like a caveman...
    Only after smacking them a few times with a big club.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Only after smacking them a few times with a big club.
    Attaboy.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Eating stuff cold rules.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I can't do cold foods whose primary state is hot. It just feels wrong. I mean I will if I'm starving or something, but I'll go to odd lengths to try to get it back to its more freshly cooked state as accurately as possible.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Freshly baked pizza > cold pizza > reheated pizza. Fight me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I must stress that I mean COLD. Like, right outta the fridge.

Room temperature is yucky. If a steak has just been sitting on the table for a while and is neither hot nor cold, I’ll pass.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Freshly baked pizza > cold pizza > reheated pizza. Fight me.
    Agreed! But I did just discover fairly recently that pizza is best reheated on a low heat on a pan.

It crisps up the crust.

Microwaved pizza is the pits.

Grilled pizza rules them all.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I can't do cold foods whose primary state is hot. It just feels wrong. I mean I will if I'm starving or something, but I'll go to odd lengths to try to get it back to its more freshly cooked state as accurately as possible.
    Take a nice filet or ny strip, give it a hard sear and cook it rare - mid rare and then chill it. Slice it thinly across the grain and there ya go. I generally reserve this for left overs.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I think "My Heart Will Go On" is a perfectly fine song.

EDIT: Aw fuck, this was my 5000th post. Now I feel like shit.
    Last edited by Wryan; 07-27-2018 at 04:37 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

You should print out this post and place it in a revered spot above the mantel of your fireplace.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    You should print out this post and place it in a revered spot above the mantel of your fireplace.
    ...and then bac0n will pee on it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    ...and then bac0n will pee on it.
    urine the right track for some rep!

Speaking of pee, I love roasted asparagus, but I can't stand the way it makes my urine smell. It's like a pine tree covered in soap.

--Homer

Speaking of pee, I love roasted asparagus, but I can't stand the way it makes my urine smell. It's like a pine tree covered in soap.
    Then don’t drink too much peaty scotch. The next morning can be quite fragrant....

Don't have to worry about that. When I was in Scotland with friends, we did a distillery tour and sampled a flight, like 5, 10 and 15 year or something close to that. I...did not enjoy it. Not for me.

--Homer

Congrats. Also damnit bac0n I only have so much rep to give
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Omelets>Waffles>French toast>Pancakes>Buttered Toast>Cereal. Oatmeal is gross and I have no interest in grits.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -
    Grouchy, you've exceeded your quota of private messages and nobody can send you anything. Delete some of your shit!

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If there is any good place to vent it's MC. Vent away.
    This took a LONG time for me to get back to, if only because it was hard to keep short.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep moving forward on my life in film, guys. There's just a lot going on in my head right now because I financed this short film with my own money. Ultimately, I’m VERY happy with it and wouldn’t change a frame, and that's all that should matter in theory. But also, two of my best friends in the world that helped me produce it told me they think it’s not having any success because festivals are looking for films about diversity from female and diverse filmmakers, which does make sense, and is for the greater good on a societal level in the grand scheme of things. But as someone on the autism spectrum, film for me is a way of expressing my feelings and emotions, and so to be told that on top of all the rejection makes me wonder if my voice as an artist is even wanted. This anxiety even carries over into my side gig as a critic for a website: I’m confident in myself as a fair critic that stays informed about everything going on in current events (as detrimental as it’s been to my anxiety) and capable of reading what a film’s story is really about. But to say that critics like me should only review movies “made for me” and the audience I belong to is ludicrous in my opinion because every filmmaker and critic should keep themselves open to every film no matter where it comes from to gain new perspectives, knowledge of other cultures and sources for inspiration to continue to grow themselves as artists. I'm supportive of the end goal of all this, which is more inclusiveness in film criticism, but to be limited to see/make films for my own demographic based on one's gender and skin color feels unnecessarily restrictive. I also think there needs to be a bigger market for film criticism first and foremost and that's out of wishful thinking, but I digress.

Being at a crossroads in my personal life at the moment doesn’t help, either: I turn 30 in a couple months and still have no relationship while weighing the pros and cons of moving to LA (it might be too late for me given my age), Atlanta, or maybe even somewhere outside the country (that’s a pipe dream but with a conservative Supreme Court on the horizon, I need some desirable end destination). What's also discouraging and unsettling is that everything going on in the industry today, from Disney’s growing monopoly on the film industry, the inevitable death of movie theaters, HBO’s descent into mediocrity thanks to AT&T running their employees into the ground for the sake of creating content, to social interaction being more cutthroat than ever thanks to today’s politics, really makes me think that everything's on the decline and there's nothing I can do because my life is out of my control. . .but all I know and want to do in life revolves around film. Maybe I’m just overthinking everything and need to quit looking at Twitter past midnight. Maybe I need to feel more confident about my opinions and use that confidence to get myself out of this rough patch. Maybe I need to buck up and embrace the starving artist lifestyle. Maybe I need to get a therapist. What I do know is I’m tired of feeling like all I’ll amount to is a statistic, and I don't like how that feels.

Swinging this to a more positive direction, I did get an e-mail from a film festival I got rejected from saying that I was a semi-finalist, and the head of a local festival near me e-mailed me personally to tell me he came close to accepting my short, but it already had its local premiere. I'm getting an all-access pass to this one for free despite the rejection, so that was nice of him. I've also submitted my short to a festival that will actually give me feedback whether I'm accepted or not, so I'll finally know what I can improve on the next time around.

If there's anything I've said that you guys want me to expand upon, I'd be happy to do it through PM or somewhere in the film discussion forum, for the sake of keeping the off-topic forum restricted to non-film stuff.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    And on another light note, Omelettes > French Toast > Waffles > Cereal > Cinnamon Sugar Toast > Pancakes > Buttered Toast.

Oatmeal is boring.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I think it's only natural to feel discouraged Ivan. Anyone would be. But I think you also nailed it with " wouldn’t change a frame" line. If you want the work to be a reflection of your art then you already succeeded, and that's all you should worry about. Success coming from that is what every film maker in the world deals with. And let's face it, the industry is one of the hardest to break into. Do you think Peter Jackson worried about that when he was making Brain Dead? Or Darren Aronofsky when he made Fortune Cookie? I'm excited to see your work and hope that you don't quit fighting for your dreams.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?