Page 1829 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 829132917291779181918271828182918301831183918791929 ... LastLast
Results 45,701 to 45,725 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Happy Turkey Day, ya'll. Gobble gobble!

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

That movie rocks. Gobble gobble Turkey day hurray!
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -

Happy Thanksgiving!

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

Hap Hap Hap Happy Thanksgiving!

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Happy Turkey Day, ya'll. Gobble gobble!

Just watched that with my sister last night. They really do not make comedies like they used to anymore.

Happy Turkey Day, y'all!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

#8 - I had a super weird dream you were in where me you and a friend of mine were in Bangkok and you got her addicted to cocaine and I was like “wtf dude” and all you did was smile with satisfaction that you’d turned her into a drug addict.

Anyway, Happy Turkey Day all!

I don’t really do that anymore.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)

Hap Hap Hap Happy Thanksgiving!
    Kristen Wiig steals that sketch.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -
    What's the dullest day of the year, do you think? The day after Thanksgiving or the day after Christmas?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    What's the dullest day of the year, do you think? The day after Thanksgiving or the day after Christmas?
    January 16th.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Neither if you work retail.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Or service industry. Went to a theater that's only showing 3 Billboards, Mudbound, and Lady Bird yesterday and place was packed, showings sold out. I don't even want to imagine theaters showing Coco.

Restaurants were packed too.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Wait...do you guys work in service or retail?

I work for a retail company that sold $103 million in the stores yesterday, not even counting online business.

Those two days are anything but dull.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

. The wife is a manager at Sam’s Club.

This time of year the PS4 gets plenty of lovin’.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    . The wife is a manager at Sam’s Club.

This time of year the PS4 gets plenty of lovin’.
    Ha! Fair enough.

(I was bored to tear yesterday.)

- - - - -

I took a nap and woke up with this in my head. I hate my brain.

"I JUST HATE THE FUCKING EAGLES, MAN"

Disney is pretty slow on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Then again "pretty slow" is still crazy busy to the average person.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Disney is pretty slow on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Then again "pretty slow" is still crazy busy to the average person.
    I didn't realize this, but the parks are the busiest the first two weeks of November and then the last 3 weeks of December. Then there's a lull from Thanksgiving to the first week of December.

I need to experience the Disney-Christmas experience. It looks incredible.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Christmas at Disneyland is incredible.

So the Russos counting down to the Infinity War trailer got me shower-thinking.

For a 3-2-1 countdown device, the number of actual beats is four, not three, since such a countdown is usually related to even-beat time and there's an even beat from 3 to 2, as for 2 to 1, as for 1 to "0," whereupon the thing happens, but it starts with a generous space at the front with 3. Would it be silly to suggest that "3" refers to the beats, the spaces between the marks, rather than the numbers themselves? But this is not true of count-ups (?), where someone gives another someone until the count of three to drop the Golden Dagger of Zinj or else they'll get shot, since by the time someone gets to 3, either the other person has given up or tried to dodge or the action sets off immediately upon hitting 3 (either someone gets shot or "I give up!"). But we make such a big cultural/literary deal about giving someone "3 seconds" to do something, when it's actually kinda 4. In a count-up, the terminating action usually happens immediately. But in a countdown, it's given the same space as other beats, which seems to total 4.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    For a 3-2-1 countdown device, the number of actual beats is four, not three, since such a countdown is usually related to even-beat time and there's an even beat from 3 to 2, as for 2 to 1, as for 1 to "0," whereupon the thing happens, but it starts with a generous space at the front with 3. Would it be silly to suggest that "3" refers to the beats, the spaces between the marks, rather than the numbers themselves? But this is not true of count-ups (?), where someone gives another someone until the count of three to drop the Golden Dagger of Zinj or else they'll get shot, since by the time someone gets to 3, either the other person has given up or tried to dodge or the action sets off immediately upon hitting 3 (either someone gets shot or "I give up!"). But we make such a big cultural/literary deal about giving someone "3 seconds" to do something, when it's actually kinda 4. In a count-up, the terminating action usually happens immediately. But in a countdown, it's given the same space as other beats, which seems to total 4.
    Curiously, this is covered in "Lethal Weapon 2" when Murtaugh is stuck on the toilet bomb and Riggs is set to pull him off. They decide to move on "the count of 3." Riggs starts the count and then Murtaugh interrupts, saying, "Wait wait wait. Is it one-two-three-and-then-go? Or one-two-three-means-go?" Riggs says, "I dunno. It's your ass so you decide."

Anyway, from what you're describing there are only three beats, with one beat unspoken:

3 (to 2)
    2 (to 1)
    1 (to 0)

I don't think there's a generous space before 3 because nobody thinks the count starts until someone actually begins counting.

The Riggs-Murtaugh problem is that there's no cultural agreement on what means "go"---the number 1 or the unspoken 0? Other countdowns, such as one would find at a race ("ready...set...go!"), don't have this problem.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    This is important to talk about because the countdown (or count-up) is a common part of everyday life, an unspoken agreement that says, "Hey stranger, let's synchronize for a moment to help the world run efficiently"--but no one really agrees on what it is exactly.

First of all, the tempo of the countdown is determined by speed and forcefulness of the breath before the "3." (Or, in a count-up, the "1".) The breath should be exactly one-half the length of the time you want between the numbers. If there is no breath then the lead counter better make gestures as to the tempo. And if there is no lead counter? Give up.

When you utter the phrase "on zero," that actually means something. It means the action should occur exactly when the count reaches "zero" (May God have mercy on the poor souls, and they do exist, who say "On zero!" and then press the button on "1"). It means the count should start at "3" and not "1" (yes this happens too). It also implies that you are lead counter. If you have a tendency toward bad rhythm and/or choking under pressure, then don't unwittingly volunteer as lead.

On to Wryan's dillema: While I appreciate the thought process that leads you to count the spaces between the numbers, I think you're focusing too much on what the numbers symbolize. The purpose of a countdown is to provide a pattern and therefore an anticipation--it's the form that is important, not the content. (Let's say that numbers no longer exist, and instead of "3, 2, 1, 0" countdowns are performed "root, stump, branches, leaves"--you could still perform a good countdown without ever hearing of a tree.) I think it rather has to do with our tendency to count "0" when counting backwards, but skipping it on the way up.

- - - - -
    Duke FFS stop walking around naked and get a goddamn avatar on! Have some self respect, man!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm questioning my next move. Wasn't feeling very chipper this morning.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?