Page 1813 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 813131317131763180318111812181318141815182318631913 ... LastLast
Results 45,301 to 45,325 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I usually take the route of "Bill Clinton couldn't get blown in the White House and not have it come out because no one can keep their mouth shut" when dealing with conspiracy nutters. 9/11, the moon landing...these would require hundreds if not thousands of people to all stay hush-hush. Yeah right.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I usually take the route of "Bill Clinton couldn't get blown in the White House and not have it come out because no one can keep their mouth shut" when dealing with conspiracy nutters. 9/11, the moon landing...these would require hundreds if not thousands of people to all stay hush-hush. Yeah right.
    Right, and there are also things like "jet fuel can't melt steel beams," but they don't have to melt the steel beams, they just have to make the beams sufficiently pliable. It's just so damn weird when you hear that from people whose opinion you respect and are otherwise smart people. And there comes the condescension again. : /

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What does that even mean? Inside Job? That the President ordered this to happen so we could go to war?

This is like trying to find a good resources supporting the Bermuda Triangle. It's logically an oxymoron because of how retarded is that level of thinking.

Very noble of you to take the high road here. Not sure i could keep my mouth shut.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Right, and there are also things like "jet fuel can't melt steel beams," but they don't have to melt the steel beams, they just have to make the beams sufficiently pliable. It's just so damn weird when you hear that from people whose opinion you respect and are otherwise smart people. And there comes the condescension again. : /
    There's been two very memorable times in my life, I clearly remember respecting someone so much, only to have them say something like this which completely dismantles the prior months and months of idoling.

The first was a co-worker when I was fresh out of college. Super Intelligent. Understood VHDL and Verilog unbelievably. And one of the last days he worked with me, he said something to the effect of: "you know NASA airbrushes the photos the rovers send back from Mars to hide the alien structures right?"

Another time was a really intelligent guy who hosted an SAT prep-course when I was in high school. He Knew how to logically step through every math problem you could throw at him. And again, on the final day of working with him, he started telling me about Reiki and how he can heal people from great distances with his hands.

Ugh

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What does that even mean? Inside Job? That the President ordered this to happen so we could go to war?

This is like trying to find a good resources supporting the Bermuda Triangle. It's logically an oxymoron because of how retarded is that level of thinking.

Very noble of you to take the high road here. Not sure i could keep my mouth shut.
    I think the theory is that the US government caused the disaster as a means of passing war powers, starting wars, increasing surveillance, gaining military control of oil in the Middle East. I know our government and spy agencies are capable of terrible things, but the issue is I just can't square the claim with available evidence.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Some say they arranged it for that, some say they just allowed it to happen so they had an excuse to go after oil.

Also, chemtrails. Those people weird me out.

I would say that you're toeing a precarious line, because you'll come across certain things that would support a belief in a conspiracy, but not necessarily argue for its existence. I'm talking, for example, about stuff like the 9/11 Commission report's revelation that the CIA told President Bush in a daily briefing in August 2001 that Al Qeada was about to launch a large attack on US soil, and his administration ignored the warning. To most of us, it just shows a lack of foresight and caution, but to someone who already believes the worst, it could appear to be coordination.

Scientifically and pragmatically, I think the whole notion of that belief is absurd since there's no concrete evidence to back it up (occam's razor and all that) and the benefit seems dubious. But since the US government has historically flirted with false flag operations (I think it's probably significant that 9/11 happened only a few years after the details of Operation Northwoods went public), I get how the emotional component of it would compel someone--regardless of how they otherwise process reality--to find the idea plausible. I often question official stories from authority figures myself, especially when they've been proven over and over to be repeat liars (coughNYPDcough). I imagine the scenario is even easier to believe for people who have been on the receiving end of the military's meddling on their affairs and thus have no reason to extend them the benefit of the doubt.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I would say that you're toeing a precarious line, because you'll come across certain things that would support a belief in a conspiracy, but not necessarily argue for its existence. I'm talking, for example, about stuff like the 9/11 Commission report's revelation that the CIA told President Bush in a daily briefing in August 2001 that Al Qeada was about to launch a large attack on US soil, and his administration ignored the warning. To most of us, it just shows a lack of foresight and caution, but to someone who already believes the worst, it could appear to be coordination.
    For sure, and I tend to be very hard-headed and evidence-based with stuff like this, so post hoc benefits aren't sufficient, and the prior briefings going ignored seem more a consequence of ignorance than anything.

Scientifically and pragmatically, I think the whole notion of that belief is absurd since there's no concrete evidence to back it up (occam's razor and all that) and the benefit seems dubious. But since the US government has historically flirted with false flag operations (I think it's probably significant that 9/11 happened only a few years after the details of Operation Northwoods went public), I get how the emotional component of it would compel someone--regardless of how they otherwise process reality--to find the idea plausible. I often question official stories from authority figures myself, especially when they've been proven over and over to be repeat liars (coughNYPDcough). I imagine the scenario is even easier to believe for people who have been on the receiving end of the military's meddling on their affairs and thus have no reason to extend them the benefit of the doubt.
    I think that last line is the most probable source of belief. There's a lot of skepticism about government narratives and spy agencies and the goals of neoliberalism (all of which I can respect on their own terms) that I think is playing into their decision-making about 9/11.

Coincidentally, a former classmate on Facebook who I've considered unfriending for a while posted this link today and so that made the decision easier.

http://yournewswire.com/cia-911-wtc7/
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't disagree with anything you said. I chock it up to gross incompetence more than planned evil genius-ry. I just can't conceive of W being a mastermind of anything more complicated than a sock drawer. I definitely don't think we should swallow explanations without questioning (especially of those in power), quite the opposite.

It's the same thing as denying the Holocaust to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I used to really like the Tina page on FB because it was frequently hilarious and had some on-point feminist memes.

But lately it has devolved into full on man hating, and I'm questioning whether I still want it on my feed.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Thought this was really cool.

Hey there! Sorry I lost my patience last year. I missed some of you, so I might be posting again.

Hey Davis!
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Neato.
    Movie Theater Diary

The big question on everyone's mind is: How much did you love Alien Covenant?

Hey there! Sorry I lost my patience last year. I missed some of you, so I might be posting again.
    Please do, I missed you. Actually I was thinking of you today ... ever read any of this Mazalan Books of the Fallen?

Quote Quoting kuehnepips (view post)
    ... ever read any of this Mazalan Books of the Fallen?
    I read the first, and liked it. Never read any others, but have thought about them. Recommended?

I missed you.

Hello Everyone!
    Although I'm new here, I do already know some of you. I used to post on Rotten Tomatoes and the Axis site under the name Orca. Been wanting to get back in the game and this seemed like the best place to go. I've been checking out Match Cut periodically and like the camaraderie here. Looking forward to some cool discussions.

Hi Devlin. Welcome. Definitely remember the Orca screen name on axis. That site was really cool. It was a bummer when it split.

Yeah. Too bad about the Axis. But, it looks like you've got some good things going on here.

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time, a long time.....

Welcome.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Good to see you, Scar.