Page 1810 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 810131017101760180018081809181018111812182018601910 ... LastLast
Results 45,226 to 45,250 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

People literally can't fathom circumstances outside of their own. For fuck's sake.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    My two best guess:

1) "Hark" is the most common romanization of the character's pronunciation. You usually just go with the norm when it comes to English spelling. It is an actual word, after all, so it's likely been romanized already by the time he changed his name to it (it's not his actual name).

2) Tsui Hark is actually very fluent in English (passing brag: I interviewed him in person a few years ago) and maybe he just wants his name to be like "Hark! It is I."
    Good stuff and great brag. :thumbsup:

Cool thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the romanization was done by the native country.

I was (ignorantly) thinking that a bunch of English-speaking individuals would have decided that "Tsui" is the best phonetic representation of what is pronounced as "Choy", and was scratching my head.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Done with this forum.

Some of you im friends with on FB or cell phone or whatever, please keep in touch.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Done with this forum.

Some of you im friends with on FB or cell phone or whatever, please keep in touch.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Done with this forum.

What the fuck, why? Because of our discussion in Political thread??
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

8 stitches in my face after a soccer injury!

Yaaaaaaaaay

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    8 stitches in my face after a soccer injury!

Yaaaaaaaaay
    Did ya get cleated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

No, head on head action.

No, head on head action.
    Did it sound like slamming to coconuts together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Don't remember the sound. But the gash was something else.

PICS

Don't remember the sound. But the gash was something else.
    Don't open if squeamish, or like to rag on wrestling:
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    PICS
    Meh. Do you really want to see it?

I looked like one of the vampires from Blade 2.

I don't wanna spread rep around....

Here's a question. It feels like every time we engage in debate on this forum, somebody winds up leaving because of it. But why is that, exactly?

Here's a question. It feels like every time we engage in debate on this forum, somebody winds up leaving because of it. But why is that, exactly?
    It's strange. I thought the conversation was really civil. Meg essentially left because he doesn't share the same opinion as me and can't handle being on the same forum as someone who thinks as I do. Even though Meg was the one passive-aggressively provoking me. Almost like he was looking for an excuse to leave.

I sent him a PM apologizing after the discussion.

We are in a halfway house where we know each other pretty well, but we are all still (essentially) anonymous, so I think there are often a lot of differing expectations in terms of what constitutes civilized discourse.

That's my guess.

AND: we are such a small community that it is easier to remember times when you clashed with a certain poster over something, and any subsequent clash has a larger chance of being taken as a feud, rather than just, you know, people disagreeing over movies, as you do.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 06-13-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    We are in a halfway house where we know each other pretty well, but we are all still (essentially) anonymous, so I think there are often a lot of differing expectations in terms of what constitutes civilized discourse.

That's my guess.

AND: we are such a small community that it is easier to remember times when you clashed with a certain poster over something, and any subsequent clash has a larger chance of being taken as a feud, rather than just, you know, people disagreeing over movies, as you do.
    It's like road range. People take it so personal. On the road you have this barrier of being in your own vehicle. On the internet it's behind the keyboard. The key is NOT taking it personal.

How funny would it be if someone left the forum because I disagreed with trans on the new Mummy movie? It's the same thing only it's politics.

It's like road range. People take it so personal. On the road you have this barrier of being in your own vehicle. On the internet it's behind the keyboard. The key is NOT taking it personal.

How funny would it be if someone left the forum because I disagreed with trans on the new Mummy movie? It's the same thing only it's politics.
    Let's not forget the Prometheus kerfuffle. Scenes!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Well there's also people who have left who weren't even involved in the debate at hand, such as when D_Davis left because we were arguing about Baywatch, seemingly because he just didn't like seeing us argue in general. But I dunno, not that every debate needs to get heated, but isn't essentially the purpose of forums such as this to exchange ideas and discuss things? So I guess what gets me is, why are people leaving because of a discussion? I mean, I would understand it if we were getting personal and attacking one another (which to be fair, has on occasion happened), but there's almost always someone who swoops in to try and steer things away from that direction whenever it does go there, too, to try and keep things more civil and get back on track. So, I dunno...

Well there's also people who have left who weren't even involved in the debate at hand, such as when D_Davis left because we were arguing about Baywatch, seemingly because he just didn't like seeing us argue in general. But I dunno, not that every debate needs to get heated, but isn't essentially the purpose of forums such as this to exchange ideas and discuss things? So I guess what gets me is, why are people leaving because of a discussion? I mean, I would understand it if we were getting personal and attacking one another (which to be fair, has on occasion happened), but there's almost always someone who swoops in to try and steer things away from that direction whenever it does go there, too, to try and keep things more civil and get back on track. So, I dunno...
    I mean yes. If we didn't have differing opinions here it would be a pretty boring forum. I'm a member of a small gaming forum, (unfortunately) and every single time, someone says something negative about a game, it becomes less about a discussion and more about people calling other people out for "trolling". So apparently if you post anything negative, it's trolling. Not discussing. Then it becomes a personal insult battle.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    A political thread in general has greater opportunity for division, because obviously someone's core social beliefs and personal experiences are going to factor in (as opposed to us arguing over the value of The Mummy). It's sometimes difficult to not take such things personally. Not to speak out of turn, but that conversation clearly involved people who were speaking of their own personal experiences with wages, job availability, etc. even if they weren't saying so explicitly.

The idea of not taking such things personally is a nice one, but I admit I'm someone who's found it increasingly difficult over the years to "detach" myself from an argument or discussion, especially when I feel like an opposing party isn't even making a good-faith effort to understand me (as I've conversely made a greater effort in most cases (I hope) to approach these conversations with empathy and open-mindedness). Not to say that this is what happened; all I'm saying is that I can completely understand the struggle and/or failure to "not take things personally" when the matter at hand clearly has deep personal significance.

The challenge is to have sufficient self-awareness to recognize when emotions have overtaken you. And it can be a real challenge. I recently had to apologize to Irish over PM for letting that happen.

I mean yes. If we didn't have differing opinions here it would be a pretty boring forum. I'm a member of a small gaming forum, (unfortunately) and every single time, someone says something negative about a game, it becomes less about a discussion and more about people calling other people out for "trolling". So apparently if you post anything negative, it's trolling. Not discussing. Then it becomes a personal insult battle.
    I've been on those types of forums, and I don't tend to stick around for long on those types of forums. I literally wasn't able to share a single movie opinion on one forum without being called out for my "blatant trolling". Jesus fucking Christ... But yeah, anyways, I tend to think that this isn't one of those types of forums.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    A political thread in general has greater opportunity for division, because obviously someone's core social beliefs and personal experiences are going to factor in (as opposed to us arguing over the value of The Mummy). It's sometimes difficult to not take such things personally. Not to speak out of turn, but that conversation clearly involved people who were speaking of their own personal experiences with wages, job availability, etc. even if they weren't saying so explicitly.

The idea of not taking such things personally is a nice one, but I admit I'm someone who's found it increasingly difficult over the years to "detach" myself from an argument or discussion, especially when I feel like an opposing party isn't even making a good-faith effort to understand me (as I've conversely made a greater effort in most cases (I hope) to approach these conversations with empathy and open-mindedness). Not to say that this is what happened; all I'm saying is that I can completely understand the struggle and/or failure to "not take things personally" when the matter at hand clearly has deep personal significance.

The challenge is to have sufficient self-awareness to recognize when emotions have overtaken you. And it can be a real challenge. I recently had to apologize to Irish over PM for letting that happen.
    That's a very levelheaded post D&MU. The detach part is probably virtually impossible in a political discussion. But at the end of the day, it's still just a discussion.