Page 1806 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 806130617061756179618041805180618071808181618561906 ... LastLast
Results 45,126 to 45,150 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Have scientists figured out why when you fart in the shower, it smells like someone found a dead body in a barrel of sauerkraut?

That shit blossoms in the air like a microbe in a petri dish. It expands, filling the nostrils with an acrid, pungent weight. It stings the eyes.

My diet is actually pretty good, btw. I'd like to stress that.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Wryan: Ew.

Anybody have theater lighting experience? Is a handheld spotlight basically just a flashlight? If I needed to light someone moving around on a stage (on a shoestring budget and of the "we aren't professionals" quality) would a handheld spotlight be worth the money or would a strong flashlight do just as well to basically draw attention to a single actor over their surroundings? Crystal clear lighting isn't necessary.

- - - - -
    What's your go-to strategy for dealing with old friends who call up drunk late at night?

Assume (1) you didn't screen the call and (2) they won't shut the fuck up.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    What's your go-to strategy for dealing with old friends who call up drunk late at night?

Old friends as in how far ago?

I'll usually answer, just in the case that they're in trouble. At the worst, I can just hang up if they don't shut up

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Be sure everything's fine. Say I have a migraine and hang up. Go to bed.

I tell them the truth, but do it in a super lovable and charming way.

edit: was it depressed drunk call, bored drunk call, or happy-party-guy drunk call? if it's depressed drunk call you just gotta hang in there. no way outta that, imo.
    Last edited by amberlita; 04-15-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I have yet to master this skill.

ETA: In fact, last night someone was drunken rambling to me and anything I said that was supposed to signify, "Okay, let's move on to another conversational topic," was taken to mean, "Please explain in more detail."

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Old friends as in how far ago?
    Old. We were close in highschool & for a number of years after, but I haven't seen or spoken to him in years. We're friends-in-name-only at this point.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)

edit: was it depressed drunk call, bored drunk call, or happy-party-guy drunk call? if it's depressed drunk call you just gotta hang in there. no way outta that, imo.
    Mostly happy, the typical drunk telephonitis.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    ETA: In fact, last night someone was drunken rambling to me and anything I said that was supposed to signify, "Okay, let's move on to another conversational topic," was taken to mean, "Please explain in more detail."
    This was exactly my problem --- it's like, how the fuck do I get away from [person] without wildly violating the social contract?

(Although, I'm kinda warming to Damu's and E's "just hang up" concept.)

"Hey, I've got another call coming though, let me put you on hold."

Oops.

Screen, screen, and screen again.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Be honest.

Answer call. You okay? Yeah? Youre drunk? Sweet! Have a good night, I have shit to do early so I have to go to bed, I was just about to turn phone off. Later dude!

I've hung up on my best friends while they were drunk and they've never been offended. Why? Cause they were drunk lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Duke's standard rule is never answering the phone past 10PM unless it's a family member.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I've recently had weird thoughts about what the next economical crisis as it feels like it's going to happen at some point. Ten years since 2007, and the overall recovery was by 2008.

If there is a serious one down the line, I worry more than ten years ago. Start-up companies could all just belly up because what contribution would they be able to do when people are having to wisely spend money? They're done for.

Gentrification of neighborhoods, especially in Denver with fun/cute restaurants literally everywhere would all be going down as well.

Retail companies are already going down the tubes with online purchasing being the way to go. So more brick and mortar stores continue to close.

Start-up company employees aren't exactly trained in blue collar work.

I worry.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

We definitely did not recover in 1 year from the mortgage crisis. The worst times were in 08.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    We definitely did not recover in 1 year from the mortgage crisis. The worst times were in 08.
    A year later.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    A year later.
    I'm not following your point. The fed rate just went up for the first time last fall.... 8 years after the worst economic collapse since the great depression. We were in a recession for 10 straight quarters between 2008 and 2010. One third of the country was out of the job market up until 2015. Detroit went bankrupt in 2013. Greece almost fully collapsed if they didn't accept bail outs in 2010. There were several counties in Europe that almost left the Euro because of how badly their economy was in 2012.

In other words, it was a world recession that we didn't fully recover from until 2016.

Well folks its been fun and all. See you...when I see you.

Last edited by MadMan; 07-14-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

What's the over / under on his return?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Fez was 1 month. So 15 days?

Why is he leaving?/announcing that he's leaving?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Fez was 1 month. So 15 days?

Why is he leaving?/announcing that he's leaving?
    No idea.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

He's been saying it off and on for quite some time. He's trying to go out on an even 18k.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Sayonara, MadMan. You'll be missed.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    He's been saying it off and on for quite some time. He's trying to go out on an even 18k.
    18k is a nice, neat number. You could tell from MM's posts, he'd been thinking about hanging up his hat for a while.

I was thinking about doing the same thing when I hit 12,000, but I don't think so. I've been posting here for more than ten years now, and checking this place is just so much a habit for me that I would guess as long as it remains on the Internet, I'll be using it.

Not that anybody asked for an update!

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

We'll, he's still lurking since I got rep for one of my comments.