Page 1798 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 798129816981748178817961797179817991800180818481898 ... LastLast
Results 44,926 to 44,950 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Parks and Rec > Back to the Future confirmed.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Meh, they were both off by a year. Math tells me the correct equation to use would be Parks and Rec = Back to the Future.

And sports theory would tell me that Back to the Future did it 20 years earlier, before any knowledge of Theo or Joe Madden getting hired by the Cubs and without the Cubs ever making it to the WS in those 20 years.

So Back to the Future > Parks and Rec.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It wasn't off. The scene took place in 2017. They were talking about the previous year's series.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Back to the Future is still more impressive. Cubs were trending towards something good a few years ago.

[/chiming in on silly meme]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I always thought that the Cubs enormous streak of futility was one of the great things about baseball. It was something that could be relied upon. Something that was integral to the story of the game. I never understood why I should consider a team from a huge market like Chicago 'lovable' just because they didn't win championships. I would have loved to see them go on without a championship until the day I die.

Because there was a time when a young kid could look up to his father with hope in his eyes and say, "Gee, pop, do ya think the Cubs'll ever win it all?" And the father could look down with a little dismissive chuckle, playfully rub the kid's head and say, "Kiddo, you've got a lot to learn about baseball."

And all that is gone now. I think that's a shame.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I always thought that the Cubs enormous streak of futility was one of the great things about baseball. It was something that could be relied upon. Something that was integral to the story of the game. I never understood why I should consider a team from a huge market like Chicago 'lovable' just because they didn't win championships. I would have loved to see them go on without a championship until the day I die.

Because there was a time when a young kid could look up to his father with hope in his eyes and say, "Gee, pop, do ya think the Cubs'll ever win it all?" And the father could look down with a little dismissive chuckle, playfully rub the kid's head and say, "Kiddo, you've got a lot to learn about baseball."

And all that is gone now. I think that's a shame.
    Who takes their spot now?

In sports, in general...

The Vikings or Lions?
    Cleveland Indians? Although I don't know many Indians fans.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Who takes their spot now?

In sports, in general...

The Vikings or Lions?
    Cleveland Indians? Although I don't know many Indians fans.
    The Cleveland Browns.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Browns for sure.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

sigh

Fuck the loveable loser bullshit. I can die in peace now. I don't know if the Cubs won't go another 100 years without a title but they have 2016 and I'll always remember it foundly.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Fuck the loveable loser bullshit. I can die in peace now. I don't know if the Cubs won't go another 100 years without a title but they have 2016 and I'll always remember it foundly.
    Completely agree. Its appalling to me that anyone would want to cling to the loser title (we have them in Cleveland too).

At least we have the Cavs.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Completely agree. Its appalling to me that anyone would want to cling to the loser title (we have them in Cleveland too).

At least we have the Cavs.
    Yep. Had the Cavs also lost I fear what Cleveland people would have done.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Very seriously considering quitting my office job and going to teachers college to teach primary school. My maximum potential pay after like seven years doing it would be about what I'm earning now. Smart?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Very seriously considering quitting my office job and going to teachers college to teach primary school. My maximum potential pay after like seven years doing it would be about what I'm earning now. Smart?
    Do you like teaching kids? That is the only question that matters.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I think I would. Spent a few days in an school to make sure and it confirmed it. Been shortlisted to do a Masters in the subject so will see how that goes.

Nothing wrong with change. Just evaluate how the lifestyle will change and what sacrifices you'd have to make.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yep. Had the Cavs also lost I fear what Cleveland people would have done.
    Nothing. We're used to losing. Hell, we don't know how to handle winning! Lot of "old" Cleveland still very negative and bipolar...we lose one game and they freak out, season blown! Nah, us "new" Cleveland younger ones stay positive. I wasn't upset we lost the World Series for fucks sake! Hell of a ride, and we go down in the history books, forever tied to ending the Cubs streak. Obviously I wish we had won, but I was more pissed that I wasted so much time watching a broken ancient sport. (I'm not a huge baseball fan.) 5 hours I watched that last game. Ridiculous. Get rid of the umps calling balls and strikes. We have computers that can nail it better without such massive mistakes, NOT saying thats why we lost, just that these old dudes add a level of subjection that is unnecessary. Rain delay?? These guys need to suck it up. PLAY. Other sports play in the rain, play on.

While we're at it, if you want attendance to increase, cut the season in half. 190 some games? Thats just dumb. Same goes for basketball. The playoffs end and in a month its season opener lol. Not to say football is without its issues, but every single game matters.

162 games and the average attendance is higher than NBA and NHL, lol. I think it is down from last year, but it's surprisingly higher than most think. Mostly because stadiums are just so big I think. A typical Rockies game that looks half full is a sold out Avalanche/Nuggets game.

I'd be fine with a shorter season though. End the season in August, playoffs in September. Would totally break the pitcher system, but the minor leagues already do it.

Game 7 of the World Series is exactly what's fantastic about baseball. Every pitch gets nerve racking when things matter. Manager decisions are huge. Play those manager decisions over any other time, and the Cubs lose.

The rain delay was pretty silly though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I have plenty of issues with how Joe Maddon managed Game 7. Pulling Hendricks too early, putting in Lester (wtf) and overusing Chapman. He relies a bit too much in the fact that the Cubs have a dynamic offense to bail him out. I'm glad Chicago won but they got lucky in the end.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Also Skitch yeah the younger fans are nice because they have optimism and are a tad more realistic and calm about things.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The MLB season used to be shorter by 8 games. They could go back to that, at least. I doubt the owners will do it. I liked it when the NBA had that strike shortened season the year LeBron won his first title, but I'm sure the owners were not happy about the lost revenue.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I wish there were less interleague games, or at least have them all in one month. April with Interleague games always seems kind of weird.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, if the Cubs are your team, then great. You have every right to be happy. What annoys me is this assumption from casual baseball fans that I should be happy for the Cubs finally winning. I don't believe in the concept of 'America's Team'. I've had people come up to me and say, "Hey, how about those Cubs winning?" To me, it's like saying to me "Hey, how about those Mets?" Uh, they're not my team and I don't give a shit? If the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim haven't won another championship in 100 years, it still wouldn't turn me into a supporter. It's not even like they're from some small city like Milwaukee with an inherent disadvantage. They're from Chicago. So, sure, fans should be happy. But stuff like Bill Murray singing Cubs songs on SNL is just annoying.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I watched that SNL clip multiple times already. Everyone else gets to celebrate winning a title. Also I'm going to be kind of obnoxious because for years I took shit for being a Cubs fan.

Anyways I don't think any baseball team is America's team. The county is too fragmented for any sports team to really clam that mantle anymore.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Ugh...case just closed on an RCMP officer and his wife who had a boy (his son) chained up in their basement. Starving, beating and abusing him.

Both were found guilty after pleading not.

The house where this all happened is not 5 minutes from where I work.

It's one of those things you hear/read about and think "that type of thing doesn't happen around here".
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."