Page 1790 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 790129016901740178017881789179017911792180018401890 ... LastLast
Results 44,726 to 44,750 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Thank you! And Nice! Will it be something you'll be able to share with us once it's done?
    My goal is to submit it to festivals, but I could send a private link once its over and done with. I'll keep you posted!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    My goal is to submit it to festivals, but I could send a private link once its over and done with. I'll keep you posted!
    Awesome! Yes, definitely do keep us posted, and good luck with all that.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    K-pop scene question for Stay Puft and any others... are Wonder Girls's reggae-inflected "Why so Lonely" or Black Pink's "Boombayah" the best of this year so far, or am I missing out on particularly interesting tracks?

CL is putting something out today, but this year just seems more "eh" than the last couple...
    I enjoyed Luna's solo, I suppose, but no, nothing exciting this year really. It's been pretty boring.

I haven't really paid any attention to Black Pink. It doesn't matter how hard YG tries, you can't replace 2NE1.

And on that note, I thought CL's new track was boring, too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Oh but dreamdead, have you listened to Neon Bunny? She's an indie artist, probably my current favorite in the Korean scene. She just released her second album, Stay Gold. I think you'd like it.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Obviously I will play the shit out of that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hey Duke, I was having a fun discussion with my neighbor the other night about some classic FPS's, and it occurred to me I've never asked if you like the Serious Sam games. They're not Duke Nukem level R rated, but they similar silly over the top fun. I still play those on the OG xbox in my office occasionally.

OMG. I love Serious Sam. Combining the oncoming waves of enemies (like doom) with great levels and FANTASTIC drop in/drop out co-op.

Fun. As. Hell. Played them all.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I didn't even know there was a part 3! Nice.

*looks around*

*whipes dust off chair*

So... how's everybody doing?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Hello. Good to see you around.

Here are today's random thoughts:

- What's the opposite of a nightmare? And why isn't there a word for this? I had a good dream last night and it put me in a great mood all day.

- Has anyone ever followed the work of a critic or writer and then eventually heard them on a podcast or seen them in a video and it just, like, ruins their entire persona? I ask this because I just found out Wesley Morris of the New York Times sounds like a cheesy game show host.

- Where the hell are Spun Lepton and megladon8?

And opposite that, have you ever heard someone on the radio and their looks don't match what you imagined? I always run to see what people look like that do radio/podcasts.

Not sure what the opposite of a nightmare is. And now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I felt refreshed from a dream.

It's a daydream.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Daystallion.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Hello. Good to see you around.
    Oh, I never left. Just haven't had anything interesting to post lately.

- What's the opposite of a nightmare? And why isn't there a word for this? I had a good dream last night and it put me in a great mood all day.
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Daystallion.
    DaMU wins!

- Has anyone ever followed the work of a critic or writer and then eventually heard them on a podcast or seen them in a video and it just, like, ruins their entire persona? I ask this because I just found out Wesley Morris of the New York Times sounds like a cheesy game show host.
    Hasn't happened to me, personally, but I wonder if anyone reading In Cold Blood ever thought that when hearing Truman Capote speak for the first time.

- Where the hell are Spun Lepton and megladon8?
    Spun quite MC a while ago for reasons unknown, but Megs still lurks, I think.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Meg participates, just reduced.

- - - - -

today's random thought

Last edited by Irish; 09-07-2016 at 11:30 PM.

IV please

- - - - -
    I think we just killed the thread, Duke.

If I couldn't kill it with k-pop, you guys needn't worry.

Sometime within the week, we will be starting a new round of the Fantasy Box Office game. Basically, all you need to do is participate in a draft of the movies (to be released in the next 6 months) you think will earn the most money in their first 4 weeks of release. After the draft, you mostly just sit back and watch the results.

We have 2 open slots for new players. If you are interested, post in the thread titled [Summer '16] FANTASY MOVIE LEAGUE! in the Off-Topic forum. I'll add players on a first-come, first-serve basis.
    Last edited by Spinal; 09-12-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    God I loathe film critics

God I loathe film critics
    What inspires this?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What inspires this?
    Ugh, don't get me started.

- Critics who make ridiculous, useless comparisons to other films in their reviews. This is the height of laziness because they're using a wholly separate, other film to represent their point and to do all their descriptive work. But if the reader doesn't know the reference, the association falls flat. It's totally empty. Like, if I told you that "the latest Malick film evokes the visceral strains of Cuthbert Hoone's 'Tears Dancing in the Rain.'" If you don't know Hoone (and you won't, because I made him up), what does that actually tell you? Not a fucking thing. Weirdly, this is something I see more and more critics doing. Even "good" ones. In the last week, I saw one critic compare elements of The Shallows to The Revenant (because they're both about survival, you see); another one name drop Bunuel and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie when discussing The Wailing (because they both employ surrealistic dream imagery); and another make a connection between Memories of Murder and The Wailing (because they both feature scenes of local cops and crime scenes in the rain, and take place in Korea). Good God. These are dumb for distinct reasons*, but really got me was the way those name-drops were presented-- completely out of context with zero follow up. (*mostly because all these films are wildly different from each other in tone and intent, and separated by whole genres).

- The trend of viewing every film through a single "woke" lens, warranted or not: https://twitter.com/DrPuppykicker/st...60978116849664

- Critics who badly abuse the formal structure of traditional newspaper reporting or traditional film criticism. Most of them don't seem to realize that lede followed by nut graf followed by bullet-points-of-complaints rendered out of context isn't the form and isn't interesting. It's just a stream of empty adjectives.

- Critics who use their platform to tell you about the time their grandpa took them to see Star Wars (seriously, nobody cares) or why Batman vs Superman hurt their feelings on a deep, deep level and that's really why Zack Snyder should be ashamed (again, nobody cares). Every other one of these guys tries to be the half-remembered Hunter S Thompson they read in high school, and fails miserably at it.

- Critics who talk about the people who made the art while not talking about the art itself. Usually, this is a dude talking about a female star, and it's always embarrassing. (Sometimes, it can go the other way, especially when it's a female critic with an axe to grind against a prominent, overbearing white male, eg: Franzen, Sorkin, Safran-Foer). This isn't to say the person of interest doesn't deserve the adulation or the stink-eye -- but who do they think they're fooling? They're not gonna pull off some New-New Journalism bullshit on the level of Pauline Kael or Lester Banks in the pages of The New Republic, The New York Times Magazine, or good Christ rogerebert.com in 2016. I've read entire "reviews" that were about the critic's ride home on the subway after the movie (written in the third person, ffs); or the critic's reveries on the attractiveness of one starlet over another, and mistaking one for the other; another that was more about "Why I think this Famous Author is a total dick" than his latest novel.

- Young critics who shit on older critics who are politically out-of-touch and, heh, might be a little nutty on a personal level. What the kids don't know, or won't acknowledge, is that the older guys can write circles around them, easily, even when they say socially awkward things. The old guys know how to edit their own stuff, work a deadline, and have spent decades developing their voice. Skills that seem totally lost on the younger crowd. I care a little less these days about anyone's faded non-insight and more whether the fucking piece was worth my time, and a good read.

- Critics who write their reviews as if they're in the 6th grade and delivering a book report.

- Critics who make calls to their own authority ("I've been writing about movies for 10/15/20 years") to garner credibility. (I'm seeing this one more and more lately, especially from fanboy critics.)

- American critics who review foreign films and express zero curiosity about the country or culture represented, and thus provide no insight into that country or culture in their reviews. Like, seriously, what's the point?

- Outlets who don't provide editors of any kind for their reviewers. So then the crazies and the hacks are left to ramble on for 1,400 words about an 80 minute horror movie.

- Lotsa silly tweets around TIFF, bad micro-reviews packed with empty adjectives, and this construction: https://twitter.com/mallory_andrews/...66965818470405

- Critics who pump out severely bad writing. Half the stuff I come across reads like a forum post circa 1999, not formal film criticism. I know these guys gotta churn content and work under harsh deadlines, but c'mon.

- Critics who talk about that whole "film is dead" thing from a couple of weeks ago as a lede in an article about the Telluride Film Festival, which is so f'ing dumb on several levels. I mean. Jesus. Some of these people went to good schools, ffs, and write for big publications. I sense that a lot of them, even the "good" critics, aren't writing to inform readers, but to impress other critics.

- Critics who are still super-defensive about the whole "film is dead" thing, while refusing to acknowledge that an art form can exist (eg: opera, ballet, painting, sculpture, theater, MLB) and not be culturally relevant (especially not the way it was 60+ years ago). And that's fine. But why is that so hard to admit?

Mostly, I'm just frustrated (can you tell?). Occasionally, I go back dig up classic newspaper reviews from Siskel, Kael, Canby, Maslin, Ebert. The difference between what they did back then and what "critics" do now is startling. Decades past, everybody knew they were writing tomorrow's fish wrap but they still made it useful. They still had the reader in mind. Too many pros today are looking to score points or satisfy their own egos.