Page 1763 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 763126316631713175317611762176317641765177318131863 ... LastLast
Results 44,051 to 44,075 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Especially Top of the Lake.
    Gorgeous!

Rapey, but gorgeous.
    ...and the milk's in me.

A bit late to the Grantland eulogizing, but that site was special in that it had multiple writers whose work I valued. Andy Greenwald's writing pushed me onto The Americans and You're the Worst, and has me anxious for Christmas break, when we can power through Halt and Catch Fire's first season to get to the good stuff in season two; Steven Hyden's focus on smaller label artists like Bill Callahan helped push me into more indie fare; Mark Harris's build-up to the Oscars was always provoking; and Wesley Morris's best writings always engaged the culture surrounding a film.

It's gonna be sad trying to keep track of where all they move on to, though I'll be tracking their respective twitter updates.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Gorgeous!

Rapey, but gorgeous.
    That was a poorly thought out national tourism slogan.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Yeah, definitely get in touch if you end up living here. But I honestly wouldn't recommend it. Other than some beautiful countryside, England doesn't have much going for it. And isn't New Zealand like paradise? That's what I got from pop culture. Especially Top of the Lake.
    Just a bit sick of NZ at the moment. And it's nice to be on the doorstep of so many countries. I got a car and boat from Belgium to London for 18 pounds.

Would probably rather live in Edinburgh or Dublin, or maybe Berlin though.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Gorgeous!

Rapey, but gorgeous.
    I was just thinking of the rape, misogyny, and child abuse. But the landscape was nice too.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Just a bit sick of NZ at the moment. And it's nice to be on the doorstep of so many countries. I got a car and boat from Belgium to London for 18 pounds.

Would probably rather live in Edinburgh or Dublin, or maybe Berlin though.
    That's some impressive budget travelling. I spend that much to get halfway to London. Never stayed in Edinburgh, but I agree with you about preferring Dublin and Berlin.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I find it a little eerie but mostly fascinating how dreams can make you earnestly feel things you’ve never felt before. How you can encounter something in a dream for which you have no real-world experience and come out of it intuitively knowing something close to what it would feel like out here. (We’ve probably all woken up to thoughts like, “Well…now I sort of know what it feels like to be sexually attracted to that person. That was…odd.”)

I had a dream this morning that I was holding a niece. A beautiful little girl with short curly blond hair; toddler or thereabouts. I loved her. I understood in the dream what it felt like to wonder if she was warm enough, to hope that she felt safe in my arms. She was funny and smart. I woke up sort of shocked. I have never had a dream like this, and I don’t necessarily consider myself paternally angled (or suited?). I’ve never held babies before. Too nervous or too much dislike of shrieking, fatty little pods of limbs. But it’s rather interesting to me how much my perspective on it can change after something as “unreal” as a dream. I can say that I sort of get it now. Even if that feeling is just the “good part” and ignores the difficulties, I feel different about it.
    Last edited by Wryan; 11-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Ok sincere question about genders / pronouns:

If someone dresses as and looks male (facial hair, masculine features, deep voice) but identifies as female, how can you know this (and in turn use the proper pronouns) without asking them?

As I understand it, it is considered very rude to ask someone how they prefer to be addressed. But in a situation like this, how could you know otherwise?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    As I understand it, it is considered very rude to ask someone how they prefer to be addressed.
    This is absolutely not true. The general wisdom among the trans/genderqueer community is to just ask instead of guessing.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That's news to me and good to hear.

Maybe Jen talks to me too much about Tumblr SJW's, but it seemed to me that it was considered offensive to ask.

From my understanding, a good innocuous way to ask someone is, "what are your preferred pronouns?"
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

There are certain things that are generally understood to be rude to ask (say, genital status) and certain things that are probably okay to ask but I personally prefer to do research on my own instead of saddling them with the explanation (say, definitions of community terms), but pronouns are personal choice of address. Asking "What's your preferred pronoun?" is as common as asking "What's your name?"
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Interesting that this topic should come up at this time. As I think some of you know, I teach sex ed for 8th graders twice a week at two of the local Unitarian Universalist Churches here in town, and the curriculum typically lines up between the two, and we've been talking about Gender Identity, Gender Expression, and Gender Roles the past few weeks, so this topic has come up a lot.

One of the things we do, is at the end of class we hand our index cards and pens, and the students are granted the opportunity to write down any question they have about sexuality or relationships, anything at all, fold up the card, and place it in the question box. If they don't have a question, they still have to write something and place the card in the box, in order to preserve the anonymity of the folks who actually do have questions.

Well, in the wake of all our Gender Identity stuff, we did get a question in the question box that said "can we go around the room and have people say their preferred pronouns". Our answer was, no, we won't. While i think it's okay on a one-on-one basis to ask someone, to go through a crowd of close to 30 and put each person on the spot in front of their peers (when they may be struggling with the question themselves) is unfair. Their pronouns are kinda their business, and they may just not be ready to share them with you. So, I think the social context of asking such a question is a very important consideration to be aware of if/when you decide to ask that particular question.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

The reason I brought this up was due to a situation at work. We hired someone for overnights who looks, dresses and sounds male, but identifies as female.

During a morning meeting for one of their first shifts, one of their peers referred to them as "him", and the person got very upset.

At the risk of victim blaming, I felt this was a bit unreasonable of them as everything about them would point to them being male, and the peer was never made aware of this person's preferred pronouns.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Well, in the wake of all our Gender Identity stuff, we did get a question in the question box that said "can we go around the room and have people say their preferred pronouns". Our answer was, no, we won't. While i think it's okay on a one-on-one basis to ask someone, to go through a crowd of close to 30 and put each person on the spot in front of their peers (when they may be struggling with the question themselves) is unfair. Their pronouns are kinda their business, and they may just not be ready to share them with you. So, I think the social context of asking such a question is a very important consideration to be aware of if/when you decide to ask that particular question.
    Ahhh, I always think that it goes without saying that context is important, but I suppose that's too presumptuous of me. I had to remind myself that a lot of men still don't understand the difference between asking for a woman's name in a social setting and asking for it randomly in the streets. But yes, good call. Intention is the key, I think. Why are you asking? If it's because you know you're going to have a social interaction with the person, then of course ask so you know and they know that you're attempting to be respectful. If it's just out of distant curiosity, then yeah, maybe it's none of your business.

That's always been my approach, anyway. I ask (or they'll tell me first) if it's someone I hang around with. If it's a friend of a friend who attend the same party I do about once a year, then it's mostly irrelevant to me so I just let that curiosity be.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    The reason I brought this up was due to a situation at work. We hired someone for overnights who looks, dresses and sounds male, but identifies as female.

During a morning meeting for one of their first shifts, one of their peers referred to them as "him", and the person got very upset.

At the risk of victim blaming, I felt this was a bit unreasonable of them as everything about them would point to them being male, and the peer was never made aware of this person's preferred pronouns.
    I wouldn't treat that as a big deal. I mean, that happens, right? People always assume I'm straight because they see me dating women. I understand why, but I still get annoyed by it. I can't help it.

So I'd try to understand in that situation and would simply say something like, "Hey, my bad, I had no idea and just assumed, but now I know and will keep it in mind in the future." If that's not enough, then whatever. They're free to hold a grudge, but you did your part and can just move on with it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's a shitty day....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

A yoga class here in Ottawa that has been running for 7 years, has been cancelled because of complaints from white idiots stating that it's a case of cultural appropriation, since yoga originated in India.

Several media establishments (including the CBC) have reached out to members of Ottawa's Hindu community, who have unanimously said they aren't offended or bothered by the class and don't know why it was cancelled.

This shit has to stop. Privileged white people telling everyone what they should be offended by has become a scourge in society, an attack on free thought and instead of helping cultural minorities like they think they are, they are causing an embarrassing and, frankly, frightening regression.

Links?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

CBC article.

Also being reported by the Sun, Globe and Mail, Global News, pretty much every big news organization.

The University is now saying that they cancelled several programs to "make them more accessible".

I was going to make an authentic Mexican dish - nachos - tonight for dinner, but now I don't think it would be right.

Instead, I will make only traditional American food - fried bread and corn.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish news from satire.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I know. In case you're wondering, nachos are NOT an authentic Mexican dish.

I told my wife (who is Puerto Rican) that she has to stop making me her delicious pork, rice and beans.

I am white. I should be eating burgers.

Actually since burgers are German and I'm Irish, that's a little iffy too.

I'll just stick with potatoes 24/7.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I have no outrage to offer you. I can offer you a soft sigh and one of those things where you pause, close your eyes, then open them and resume your day.