Page 1719 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 719121916191669170917171718171917201721172917691819 ... LastLast
Results 42,951 to 42,975 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I'm so sorry about how you're feeling TGM. I have known a few people who have pursued careers out of hobbies and have ended up hating that activity because of it.

A lifelong friend of mine is an animator for a Disney subsidiary, and he frequently talks about how he both loves and hates his job. He says the turn-around in studios is surprisingly high, as people who "like to draw" get into the field and quickly find that (for them) it was better left as a hobby rather than their sole means of income.

I don't know that I have any profound advice to give you other than what you have probably thought yourself or been told a million times - step back from this all, take time to remember why you did it in the first place, and try to return to that being the reason for doing it. Do it for yourself and your own fun and gratification, not for others.

Again, I'm sorry for all the stresses you are going through right now. I wish you the best.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I know this is a very odd question but...

Is there anywhere one can go to talk and learn about feminism in a friendly and positive environment?

I've taken a very active interest in these issues but it seems next to impossible to find a place to learn more and discuss these issues, that isn't either a Tumblr-esque fountain of man hatred, or filled with 4chan levels of misogyny.

I'm frustrated by the apparently common viewpoint that because I am male (a white middle class male at that), I have no right to discuss or have an opinion on these issues and should basically shut up and accept that I was born an asshole.

I really want to learn more, to talk about things with level headed individuals, and to find ways in which I can make make a positive difference in the world around me.

So, does such a place exist?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I know this is a very odd question but...

Is there anywhere one can go to talk and learn about feminism in a friendly and positive environment?

I've taken a very active interest in these issues but it seems next to impossible to find a place to learn more and discuss these issues, that isn't either a Tumblr-esque fountain of man hatred, or filled with 4chan levels of misogyny.

I'm frustrated by the apparently common viewpoint that because I am male (a white middle class male at that), I have no right to discuss or have an opinion on these issues and should basically shut up and accept that I was born an asshole.

I really want to learn more, to talk about things with level headed individuals, and to find ways in which I can make make a positive difference in the world around me.

So, does such a place exist?
    Heh passive aggressive insult to MC? (I'm kidding but it could have been taken that way)
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

No I wasn't talking about MC at all.

One of the best things I have learned in my 20s, actually, is really coming to terms with the idea that there are a lot of situations where my perspective is not welcome or needed, and that that's very much okay. It has been incredibly beneficial to me in my social life AND my social media life. This idea that another group (women, black, etc) can discuss and process through issues and the best thing someone on a position of privilege (which I often find I'm in, especially when it comes to feminism) can do to support it is to shut up and listen to what they have to say. I've grown a lot from it, and really, it started with someone else telling me this too.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    TGM, I felt similarly about my blog for the past couple years, and I made a conscious decision this year to not post something for the sake of posting something. My views are down, but I feel less stress and can focus on chipping away at a piece until I feel good about it. I'll never be able to keep up with people who update every week, because that turnaround means less time to revise and proofread and make sure I'm saying something in a reasonably unique way.

I also deactivated my Facebook account two months ago, and one of the nice surprises is that it's pushed me to be more social and focus on the friendships that truly matter. I didn't exactly love turning that site into a public relations network. It felt like so many people were essentially hawking their brand to their friends.

Consider deactivating Facebook, but definitely try to lose the feeling of obligation for your blog. Having a blog means so little these days, there's no point in stressing over it. Use it only when you feel really compelled to say something. When you can't hold it in.

I've been putting words to the noises my stomach makes this morning. "Ohh, yeah yeah yeah. Oooooh yeah."

Where the hell is everyone? I can't remember the last time we were this dead.

Snow's here.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Giada is getting divorced. So youre saying there's a chance.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    who?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    who?
    I'm guessing you don't watch the Food Network. She has an Italian cooking show, among other things.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I'm guessing you don't watch the Food Network. She has an Italian cooking show, among other things.
    I would rub mascarpone all over her.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Sounds like Benny wants to give her an Italian Massage.

who?
    The hottest model/chef ever.

who?
    Food Network host, Dino DeLaurentis's daughter.

This year I'm going to look into changing careers.

I've always wanted to be a funeral director, so I'm going to to look into that and get the ball rolling.

Is the job market that good in Seattle?

People die every where.

This is the strangest New Years ever. Normally I sit around all day snacking and watching football game after football game until I go to bed. Now, the first game doesn't start until 6:30pm local. So that's the whole day gone before I do my normal thing. On top of that, my team plays at 2:30am, which I've gotten... not used to.... but I've dealt with it already a couple times. So do I stay up all night to watch the games and feel normal, or say "fuck it" and go to bed early so I can be rested at 2:30 when it matters?
    *coming soon*

Top 100

People die every where.
    I just mean that I can't imagine being able to change careers on a whim. Unless you want to be a cashier at a grocery store, there aren't a lot of jobs out there.

But of course congratulations and best of luck in the career change! Do you have to go to school for it or anything?

Just starting to look into it. 5 year plan. Need to go to Mortuary Science school, get certified, apprentice, and all that. Just getting the ball rolling into something new.

Just starting to look into it. 5 year plan. Need to go to Mortuary Science school, get certified, apprentice, and all that. Just getting the ball rolling into something new.
    That's freaking awesome. Is it an online program? As in, will you be able to continue working while you go to school?

There are a great number of online courses available at the community college in town. You can basically choose how intense you get into it - you can take a 1 year program and stretch it into a 4 year part time if you want. Or, similarly, you can take a 2 year and turn it into 9 months of just go go go.

Happy new year match cutters.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]