Page 1667 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 667116715671617165716651666166716681669167717171767 ... LastLast
Results 41,651 to 41,675 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mitty (view post)
    Does anyone know if an administrator or a moderator can adjust someone's screen name? I sent Ezee E a PM about this, but I'm not sure if he successfully received the message.
    What do you think this is? RT?

Kidding, I know it's been done once or twice before.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What do you think this is? RT?
    Do screen names get changed there often or something?

I picked mine in haste, as I just wanted to register to make a thread (which never really took off, but that's OK) and a few posts. I guess I never anticipated sticking around this long.

I fiddled in the mod section and I don't think I can change a username. It might take an admin (so, Ezee or number8.)

I can, however, change someone's signature, avatar, or edit reputation (!).

/drunk with power
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I fiddled in the mod section and I don't think I can change a username. It might take an admin (so, Ezee or number8.)

I can, however, change someone's signature, avatar, or edit reputation (!).

/drunk with power
    Thanks for looking, though.

The notion of a forum moderator changing signatures and avatars based on megalomaniacal whims is pretty funny. As for more sensible and warranted uses, like removing offensive or inappropriate avatars, I doubt that's ever been really necessary here. I don't recall seeing much banning, either.

I think a person got banned once for threatening another person.

It's much more likely that interpersonal conflicts with one person leaving in a huff. (Not judging-- I've not it myself, though not here.)

I was recently given software at work that makes it possible for me to (theoretically) mess with people's phones. Like, in the display where it says someone's name, I could change it to say something else, or I could change their pass code for voice mail. I idly wondered if I could abuse this power in a humorous way, like giving everyone silly names for Halloween or changing pass codes on April Fool's, but was told very harshly this would not be funny.

I still think it would be kind of funny.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Do you believe in luck? Like, do you believe that a person can be inherently "lucky"?
    ...and the milk's in me.

I mean, I think a lot of things in life are dictated by chance. Some people end up being lucky, but I don't think its an inherent property or anything. They just exist in the tails of the bell curve of life.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Do you believe in luck? Like, do you believe that a person can be inherently "lucky"?
    Yep. I've got an old friend who dropped out of high school, and has moved around since then - early '90s. Every where he goes, awesome, good paying, unique, incredible jobs land in his lap. He'll move to the middle of nowhere, go to a bar, and someone will approach him out of the blue with an amazing opportunity. It's crazy.

I've got another friend who was never into bands or music much, but he played trombone in the high school marching band. He moved to Kentucky out of the blue, and in two months he was playing live shows as a drummer with Lou Barlow and joined Sebadoh and Folk Implosion.

Needless to say, I'm a bit jelly of that guy! I've worked my ass off for 25 years, recorded 30+ albums, and have gone nowhere (well, financially - musically I've accomplished a hell of a lot, so I'm totally OK with that).

It's all about luck. All the talent and hardwork in the world can't make good luck happen.

The last time we saw each other, we joked about how crazy that was.

I know he's an easy target, and this is surely one of my most frivolous posts, but whose diabolical mind is responsible for this sartorial disaster? ''Fashion'' as thoughtless lark. Incredible.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    My apologies for being crude, but it honestly looks like he has a pound of shit in the back of his pants. It looks like my toddler sons when they had a full diaper. That is absolutely embarrassing, Beiber aside.

I'm smitten by the notion of luck, and it's one of the more superstitious ideals I buy into. I regard Allen's Match Point more highly than the average bear. I also had a weird thing where I would buy tshirts/underwear with four leaf clovers on them. No, I don't have an ounce of Irish blood in me.

Somebody with Photoshop skills needs to change that image into a cover sleeve for Justin Beiber's newest CD, "Poopypants."

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I mean, I think a lot of things in life are dictated by chance. Some people end up being lucky, but I don't think its an inherent property or anything. They just exist in the tails of the bell curve of life.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I fall. In the grand scheme of life, and the nearly 8 billion people currently living it, there's going to be such a vast array of constantly changing circumstances that there will people who appear to have everything fall their way, and others who appear to have nothing go right. It's the Law of Infinite Probability in action.

I have trouble believing in luck as an outside force, or that it can be something someone possesses, like a sense of humor.

But...

My sister once pointed out that my brother-in-law is "lucky" and then I started seeing it all the time. In big things (like finding my sister-- zing!) or in small (he always finds a parking spot, stumbles over things that are lost.) It's almost eerie.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Do screen names get changed there often or something?

I picked mine in haste, as I just wanted to register to make a thread (which never really took off, but that's OK) and a few posts. I guess I never anticipated sticking around this long.
    It was a running gag that so many people changed their names it was hard to keep track of who was who.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh. What's the story behind yours? I get that it's a variation on Duke Nukem (a video game series I have never played, incidentally) but how did you end up with "Dukefrukem"?

My understanding of the low-rider pants thing is that it's a "prison culture" thing. The idea is that assigned orange uniforms for inmates are often the wrong size and thusly don't stay up. So, as a prison-solidarity/street-cred sort of thing, people starts dropping their pants or deliberately wearing pants that are too big.
    Hey, look, it's that animation nut from RT.

Oh. What's the story behind yours? I get that it's a variation on Duke Nukem (a video game series I have never played, incidentally) but how did you end up with "Dukefrukem"?
    The year was 1996, I was 12, AOL 2.5 was just released, I needed a screen name, and all my friends added a "2000" suffix or a random number sequence like Goofy20202 after their scren names. I didn't want that. "Dukefrukem" came to mind and it made me laugh. I kept it for everything moving forward. So chances are if you run into Dukefrukem's Youtube Channel or Steam page, it's me.

Quote Quoting Alex Weitzman (view post)
    My understanding of the low-rider pants thing is that it's a "prison culture" thing. The idea is that assigned orange uniforms for inmates are often the wrong size and thusly don't stay up. So, as a prison-solidarity/street-cred sort of thing, people starts dropping their pants or deliberately wearing pants that are too big.
    Someone once told me kinda the same thing, except sagging was to indicate you were willing to be sodomized.

I find it very depressing thinking about luck (which I totally believe in) because it often seems that it belongs to too many of the wrong people.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Goofy20202
    I guess I've found my new screen name. Thanks!

Quote Quoting Alex Weitzman (view post)
    Actually the explanation I heard was that it signalled to other prisoners that you were down for some love makin'.

So, I work for a huge company based out of Texas, my group of about 10 or so is based out of Minnesota. Our boss's boss, who is based out of India, came to pay us a visit today for a meet and greet. One of the topics that came up was career advancement, and he was refreshingly blunt in stating that if we wanted to move forward with our careers in the company, we would need to move to Texas where the company is headquartered.

I'm fine for now, but I think that when it is time for me to move my career forward, that I will instead move to a different company.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    I'm smitten by the notion of luck, and it's one of the more superstitious ideals I buy into. I regard Allen's Match Point more highly than the average bear. I also had a weird thing where I would buy tshirts/underwear with four leaf clovers on them. No, I don't have an ounce of Irish blood in me.
    Ya know, that luck of the Irish thing cuts both ways.