Page 1617 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 617111715171567160716151616161716181619162716671717 ... LastLast
Results 40,401 to 40,425 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Historically, that is not true in Seattle. For decades, Seattle was a great renters market. The tides have changed this year.

The apartment I was renting 3 years ago for $800 is now renting for $1200.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Alan Turing was posthumously pardoned by the Queen for being gay. I'm sure that completely makes up for his being chemically castrated. Way to make yourselves feel better about something horrible you did, royal family.
    In all fairness, this was in response to a massive petition by scientists and mathematicians. I think it's more of a nod to the scientific community, which is nice. And it's not like the royal family chemically castrated him in the first place-- that was just the regular government.

I went through an obsessive period about four or five years ago where I was completely fascinated by Bletchley Park and everyone there, most especially Turing, and read a bunch of books on the subject. It's totally worth digging into. For some reason, though, I'm nervous about The Imitation Game, which is the film about Turing with Benedict Cumberbatch. However, I loved The Bletchley Circle, though that was only tangentially about Bletchley Park.
    ...and the milk's in me.

FYI, although there are dozens of books on the subject that I haven't read, the best I did read was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Enigma-Battle-...he+code+enigma
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    In all fairness, this was in response to a massive petition by scientists and mathematicians. I think it's more of a nod to the scientific community, which is nice. And it's not like the royal family chemically castrated him in the first place-- that was just the regular government.

Fair enough. I figured somebody with a leveller head than mine would talk some sense.

Bought myself a new guitar for Christmas.

Plays like a dream, and sounds amazing. Squier has really been stepping up their game recently - this thing plays and sounds like a guitar three times its value.

So, Elderly Instruments is in Lansing, Michigan. Growing up that's where we got family instruments (for instance, if someone wanted to take up cello) and also sheet music and used CDs, etc. Since the internet became a thing it has reinvented itself as a really cool online place to get great used instruments, and I'm kind of proud of it in a hometown way. It was such a nice shop.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    So, Elderly Instruments is in Lansing, Michigan. Growing up that's where we got family instruments (for instance, if someone wanted to take up cello) and also sheet music and used CDs, etc. Since the internet became a thing it has reinvented itself as a really cool online place to get great used instruments, and I'm kind of proud of it in a hometown way. It was such a nice shop.
    That's cool. I like it when good things survive the changing times.

Man, I've never held a Squier that wasn't an absolute chore to play. Albeit, it's been about 10 years.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Man, I've never held a Squier that wasn't an absolute chore to play. Albeit, it's been about 10 years.
    They are hit and miss. The two best basses I've ever owned and played were both Japanese Squiers (still have them - incredibly solid instruments, and preferred them to the regular Fenders) - absolutely incredible. The Squier strats I've played have been terrible (but then again, I can't stand strats). This J5 special Tele is the best sounding sub $1500 guitar I've ever played. I'm going to swap out the kill switch with a beefier one, and replace the tuners. Once I do that, this thing will be as good as any guitar I've ever played. And all for about $399.

The J5 tele is some custom tele made by some guitar shredder dude called Johnny 5 or something (I have no idea who he is). I love teles (the shape and build), but I can't use originals because of the single-coil pickups - too much interference with all of my analog synths. This one has custom double humbuckers and a unique dual volume/no tone control. With the added kill/pickup switch you can get many different tones from this thing.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Just.... Wow.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They are hit and miss. The two best basses I've ever owned and played were both Japanese Squiers (still have them - incredibly solid instruments, and preferred them to the regular Fenders) - absolutely incredible. The Squier strats I've played have been terrible (but then again, I can't stand strats). This J5 special Tele is the best sounding sub $1500 guitar I've ever played. I'm going to swap out the kill switch with a beefier one, and replace the tuners. Once I do that, this thing will be as good as any guitar I've ever played. And all for about $399.

The J5 tele is some custom tele made by some guitar shredder dude called Johnny 5 or something (I have no idea who he is). I love teles (the shape and build), but I can't use originals because of the single-coil pickups - too much interference with all of my analog synths. This one has custom double humbuckers and a unique dual volume/no tone control. With the added kill/pickup switch you can get many different tones from this thing.
    Next time I'm in a music store I'll have to check one out. I see they have a J Mascis Jazzmaster too; I've always wanted a Jazzmaster.

One of my friends has the Fender Vintage '72 Tele which has humbuckers. I always love playing that guitar.

My friend is a Jazzmaster nut, and he recently bought a Squier Jazzmaster and said he prefers it to any of his 5 or so vintage ones. Says they have better electronics on the switches. He traded out some of the hardware and now its his preferred guitar. Again though, I think it's all hit and miss since quality control is something you can't count on as much with a budget guitar.

One thing my friend said to do on the Squier Jazzmasters is to change out the transistor on the tone pot. He said they used the wrong one, but that you can get the same one they used in the vintage guitars for about $5.

Bought myself a new guitar for Christmas.

Plays like a dream, and sounds amazing. Squier has really been stepping up their game recently - this thing plays and sounds like a guitar three times its value.
    My MC Christmas wish: a shoegaze album from DJD in 2014.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    My MC Christmas wish: a shoegaze album from DJD in 2014.
    You might get that wish - been working on some stuff that's more shoegaze style.

This morning I broke the shower head in my new house - testing its limits. Anyhow, after work I had to go get a new one. Had to wait in line for 30 fucking minutes while dumb ass fucks who waited until the last goddamn minute to do their Shopmas shopping unload carts full of shit for shitty ass kids and joked with the clerk about how cute it was that they were waiting until the last minute to do their Shopmas shopping again - LOL.

Stores should have a special line during the last week of Shopmas season for people who need to buy stuff that has nothing to do with the birth of Santa.

Merry Christmas guys and gals.

I was driving home past Target and thought, "I think my computer mouse is glitching, I should get a new one." Got as far as turning my signal on before my brain kicked in: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! ABORT! ABORT!"
    ...and the milk's in me.

Perks of being in a city that people tend to leave for the holidays. On phone with sister:

ME: I could drive my presents over now, but I'm worried about losing my parking spot.

SISTER: Are you kidding? It's the most wonderful time of the year. There's so much parking that when we got home, I wish we could have parked TWICE.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I know, NYC subways are so empty today. So great.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I know, NYC subways are so empty today. So great.
    Seriously? I imagine they're full of drifters.

One of the best feelings in the world? Putting on a new pair of slippers and walking on them for the first time.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    One of the best feelings in the world? Putting on a new pair of slippers and walking on them for the first time.
    I got new slippers, too! They are comfy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ordered a pair of Audioengine A5 powered speakers today.

These things sound amazing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/...-33714389.html

Sometimes I think I'd like slippers, but when I have a pair I rarely wear them because I hate when my feet are too warm.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

As a firm believer in the idea that certain places have better creative energy than others, I am very happy to discover that my new place seems to be overflowing with it. This is going to be a great house for making music. The power is clean, no low hum, and good vibes are flowing. Already starting composing and arranging three brand new pieces, and I love each of them.

I've lived in some places where I couldn't write a thing to save my life, and in others in which I couldn't record the ideas fast enough. This new place is definitely leaning towards the later.