Page 1515 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 515101514151465150515131514151515161517152515651615 ... LastLast
Results 37,851 to 37,875 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

If I invented a language, there wouldn't be a relationship between plural/singular subject and verbs. This plagues my existence on a daily basis, when I have to prepare and review forms being used for single or multiple inventors. It's so stupid.

If I prepare a series of forms for a single inventor, and then an inventor gets added, I have to back through and change everything from "Applicant requests...." to "Applicants request...." and so on. Verbs should not change based on how many people are doing them.

I just hope that Jean Claude Van Damme's prophecies are correct, and one day in the future we all speak with sound waves.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    You're reading too much into it.

"I went to the library with Spinal, the viking, and my mom."
    Oddly enough, the Oxford comma confuses things here as the viking appears to be an appositive phrase.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Oddly enough, the Oxford comma confuses things here as the viking appears to be an appositive phrase.
    Yeah, that's what I was going for.

The Oxford Comma actually made him a viking!
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Can you imagine someone like Walken punctuating according to their speech patterns? That would be awesome.
    A guy at work does it. And I have to proofread his stuff for publication. It's a nightmare.

So a pet peeve of mine at work is that everyone is perfectly fine dumping on me and ignoring my pleas that I've overworked and not being given adequate time/resources to complete whatever impossible project is on my plate. It's all very dismissive, "I know, I know, you work so hard" but nothing every happens to fix it.

And then, when I finally blow my top after giving everyone as many warnings as I can possibly give, everyone becomes extremely alarmed and concerned and condescending, suggesting gently that maybe I shouldn't try to do so much. Maybe I should take a little time off and then come back to all my work undone, but now with more urgent deadlines.

I really hate this place sometimes.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Isn't English supposed to be one of the hardest languages in the world to learn how to write in when it's your second language?
    I seriously doubt this. Nouns don't have gender, there are very few irregular verbs, even vocabulary is very small when compared to other languages, since there are so many composite words.

Plus, you live in a world where Russian and Chinese exist.

Eh, I studied Russian for 4 years. I would say its consistency of spelling and grammar rules would make it easier for someone to pick up than English.

It's not like Vietnam; in Russian there are rules.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I just spent the last 15 frustrating minutes on the phone with All-State, talking about my insurance policy. They couldn't find it. Said I was with Geico. They had a super old address in their system, and all kinds of wrong information. I was beginning to get worried, mad, and frustrated.

And that's when I looked at my insurance card and realized I was with State Farm.

It's been a long 2 weeks.

"I've had insurance through you guys for like 3 years!"
    Girl, sounding worried, "are you still at the Lynnwood address?"
    "No! I owned that house. Now I rent. Which is why I have renter's insurance with you."
    Girl, sounding more worried, "let's see. What was your policy number again?"
    I look at my insurance card....hang up.

Not cool, D. You could've apologized.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Not cool, D. You could've apologized.
    Get off your high horse.

And I did, via e-mail.

At least she's laughing about it, too.

haha we were trying to figure out what's going on!!! I will let her know- thank you for letting us know :-) Now that we have the issue resolved would you still like to look at these quotes? haha
    Just let us know!
    Thank you.

An actual question I received from a customer:

"I was looking at a product on your website that is listed as an online exclusive. Where can I find this in the store?"

I am sitting in the lunch room and the guy sitting next to me is dirty talking with his girlfriend on his cell.

It's really weird and awkward.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I am sitting in the lunch room and the guy sitting next to me is dirty talking with his girlfriend on his cell.

It's really weird and awkward.
    Next time, stare at him lustfully.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Next time, stare at him lustfully.
    And when he meets your eyes, slowly drag your hand under the table, and give a knowing nod.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I just bought my first ever pair of Converse All Stars... I didn't even know about the Slim Chucks before. Never could find regular ones that fit me, as I have a wider foot, but the slims are just awesome.

i haven't bought a pair of converses in years, but i'm gonna need a new pair of sneakers to rock without socks and those look great. probably between that or these vans (maybe not this color though)

my favorite pair of cole haan sneakers that i would get complimented on all the time are totally wrecked and i can't find another pair in my size or price range (found them at an outlet for less than half the retail price)

to be honest i didn't really get the compliments since i thought they were just a pair of regular sneakers, but they were kind of the perfect pair

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    All stars are easily the worst shoes I've ever worn.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Are you writing for a specific audience or publisher? You might want to check any style guidelines they provide. The journals I publish in insist on the Oxford comma (or Harvard comma, as they call it), though like Raiders, I always use it anyway.
    It's for a medical journal. The authorship guidelines are more about content, accuracy, and reference (yeah, that comma still feels superfluous to me when I look at it) rather than grammar style. It will be double peer-reviewed but small stylistic choices like that will not be the focus of corrections. I feel personal pressure to make sure I'm not making mistakes on the little things.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!

I own five pairs of All Stars.

I own one pair of All-Stars, but they're essentially all I wear. Throw some inserts in there and they're the perfect every day shoe.

All Stars - the standard ones - tend to rip at the exact same spot after a while. I don't think the slims will, but we'll see.

Those Vans look great, though. My girlfriend almost bought a pair of blue ones almost identical to those at the same outlet where I got mine.