Page 1487 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 487987138714371477148514861487148814891497153715871987 ... LastLast
Results 37,151 to 37,175 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I haven't heard the term "metro-sexual" in almost a decade.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I haven't heard the term "metro-sexual" in almost a decade.
    Hehehe. That's true. Totally 2004.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    NASA - flight control for Mars landing.
    Ah ok. Thanks.

A little late to the game here, but I always thought hipsters were more the people who "like" things ironically, than those who genuinely like them.

I have a long beard and I occasionally wear plaid shirts to work, but it's because I like them.

Whereas there's a guy who works down in the lumber department who has a massive, unkempt beard and wears plaid lumberjack shirts and skinny jeans with New York Dolls patches on them.

Isn't he the one who's the hipster, out of the two of us?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    A little late to the game here, but I always thought hipsters were more the people who "like" things ironically, than those who genuinely like them.

I have a long beard and I occasionally wear plaid shirts to work, but it's because I like them.

Whereas there's a guy who works down in the lumber department who has a massive, unkempt beard and wears plaid lumberjack shirts and skinny jeans with New York Dolls patches on them.

Wait, what makes you think he doesn't genuinely like his beard and plaid shirt like you do?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Or a job at flight control at NASA. Or a software engineer. Or a job at Microsoft. Or at Amazon. Or Google.
    Or work in advertising/media, as I do.

I wear my earrings and ripped jeans to the office. One of my managers at the office has tats all over his forearms. One of the client directors who drop by often wears pink hipster glasses and sneakers.

The idea that "tattoos/gauges/weird facial hair/baggy clothes = unemployable" is outdated in the 21st century.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I haven't seen an ironic hipster in many, many years. I think it's presumptuous to assume that people do things ironically. Maybe some people do things just because they like to do them.

It's akin to claiming that David Lynch films are "trying too hard to be weird," or that experimental musicians try too hard to be different. Sometimes (re: most of the time, I think) people do things not to try to be anything, they do things because they like to do them and it makes them happy.

All the people I think of as hipsters genuinely like those things, but act as if they don't. "Isn't my mustache awful?" "NCIS is the worst show ever. You have to see it."

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Wait, what makes you think he doesn't genuinely like his beard and plaid shirt like you do?

Sorry I left that out.

What I was getting at was that it's much more an attitude that a physical style, I think. The guy down in lumber wears everything very ironically and is pretty open about that fact. He has New York Dolls patches on his pants but can't name a song by them. He didn't even know that David Johansen and Buster Poindexter were the same person, and now talks about his favorite New York Dolls song being "Hot Hot Hot".

But after all this, I agree with what DaMU said a few posts up - the term "hipster" is about as meaningful as "emo" now. Is there a new pop culture trend that everyone hates on now? I'm pretty out of the loop with that stuff.

The only thing I hate (and by hate I mean makes me make a joke or funny comment about while pretending to be really pissed off) is when people order PBR or Rainier at a good beer bar. When you want to drink shitty beer, drink it at a shitty bar! That's what they're for! Don't go to the Uber Bar with 25+ taps of imports and craft beers and order a tall boy of PBR; that's just an insult to good beer.

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    All the people I think of as hipsters genuinely like those things, but act as if they don't. "Isn't my mustache awful?" "NCIS is the worst show ever. You have to see it."

Exactly. I think it's much more an attitude than it is an actual style.

He has New York Dolls patches on his pants but can't name a song by them. He didn't even know that David Johansen and Buster Poindexter were the same person, and now talks about his favorite New York Dolls song being "Hot Hot Hot".

But after all this, I agree with what DaMU said a few posts up - the term "hipster" is about as meaningful as "emo" now.
    Yeah, back in the 90s, we would call that guy a poser.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, back in the 90s, we would call that guy a poser.

:lol: Rep.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The only thing I hate (and by hate I mean makes me make a joke or funny comment about while pretending to be really pissed off) is when people order PBR or Rainier at a good beer bar. When you want to drink shitty beer, drink it at a shitty bar! That's what they're for! Don't go to the Uber Bar with 25+ taps of imports and craft beers and order a tall boy of PBR; that's just an insult to good beer.
    What if you genuinely like PBR?

I think we should try to accommodate the mentally deficient.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    What if you genuinely like PBR?

I think we should try to accommodate the mentally deficient.
    Drink it at a non-craft/import bar. Or, better yet, at home.

Ordering PBR at a craft taphouse is like ordering a well-done steak with ketchup at a steakhouse. You just don't do that!

Also, hipster chicks and scene girls are really hot.

They're like the modern day goth chicks.

I don't think I've ever met anyone at bars who order PBR or Tecate because they genuinely love them. They do it because they're broke and can't afford to be drinking the $6-8 draft so they order $2-3 cans.

So now the argument is, should they have just gone to a dive bar with no craft beers where everyone's drinking shitty beer, or just visit a 7/11 and drink at home? Maybe, but maybe their main motive for going to the cool bar wasn't the drinks. Maybe it's where their friends want to hang out, or maybe they just like the cool bar's vibe.
    Movie Theater Diary

In the end, though, I can't say I'm the type (anymore - I definitely used to be) to be so bothered by someone else's style/attitude/likes and dislikes that I hate on them or it.

Do, wear and like what you like because you like it. If you look like a hipster or an emo kid or a skater or a thug, whatever. You like it. You're happy.

I know I've had more than my fair share of people laugh and comment about how I look and what I wear, so I'd be a hypocrite to do the same.

I now shave my head completely bald, down to the skin. I've had people ask me if I do it to "look intimidating" (I'm a big guy with tattoos and a long goatee), I've even had someone say that I looked like a skinhead.

I do it because I'm losing my hair and I don't like the look of having hair on the sides of my head but not the top, so I shave it all off.

Someone thinks I look silly? Eh, screw 'em. I have Halo shoes. They don't. I win.

When I was first getting into ska, I wore band shirts that I didn't know too much about. And then I ended up playing in a ska band that opened up for the biggest acts in the world. At first I was a poser, but then I learned.

Meh. I just bought a bottle of Trappists Roquefort, a single bottle of which costs more than a case of High Life, another beer I quite enjoy. I have no problem with people liking any beer they like, no matter who makes it. So what if it's PBR?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Maybe, but maybe their main motive for going to the cool bar wasn't the drinks. Maybe it's where their friends want to hang out, or maybe they just like the cool bar's vibe.
    Oh for sure; that's why I said by "hate" I mean make a joke about. I'm not drinking beer for 4 months, so I'll be the guy at the bar drinking water and soda when I hang out with my friends.

I'm bringing back the handkerchief over hair look. It was briefly acceptable in the 90's before going out again, but I recently determined that it is my favorite way to get my hair out of my face, especially when I'm doing something physical (cleaning, working out, gardening, etc.)

So I went out and bought bandanas, and I've started wearing them around the house. My roommate giggles every time.

Like so:

...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Meh. I just bought a bottle of Trappists Roquefort, a single bottle of which costs more than a case of High Life, another beer I quite enjoy. I have no problem with people liking any beer they like, no matter who makes it. So what if it's PBR?
    That's why I said it was more of a joke.

Oh for sure; that's why I said by "hate" I mean make a joke about. I'm not drinking beer for 4 months, so I'll be the guy at the bar drinking water and soda when I hang out with my friends.
    That's why I said it was more of a joke.
    Sorry, I thought the bolded text was the joke part.

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Sorry, I thought the bolded text was the joke part.

LOL! Nope. I gotta loose my gut. Went up two pant sizes the last year. I'm a skinny dude with a huge beer belly. No beer, and 30 minutes of exercise a day until I loose it.

Just ordered 3 new pairs of Ben Sherman skinny pants that I want to look good in soon, so the beer has to wait. So I guess I'm a huge hipster.

Within the realms of visual media, I can't think of anything I want more than a conclusion for Samurai Jack.