Page 1486 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 486986138614361476148414851486148714881496153615861986 ... LastLast
Results 37,126 to 37,150 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Days like today I bet bac0n's glad to be working from home. Since I'm field based, I get to drive/power slide through this shit. Fortunately, I re did my schedule last night, so I'll be working close to home and don't have to drive to far.

Last week, well, I was overly stubborn and drove through the snow on Tuesday to get to Mason City, IA. That wasn't the smartest thing I've done lately.
    Mason City, eh? I think I might have been there once, but if I have traveled there I didn't remember much.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I don't understand why people who wear plaid shirts, be passionate about bands and think vinyls are cool, watch Miranda July movies and talk about how great Austin is, would make fun of hipsters. Cognitive dissonance?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't understand why people who wear plaid shirts, be passionate about bands and think vinyls are cool, watch Miranda July movies and talk about how great Austin is, would make fun of hipsters. Cognitive dissonance?
    The couple I know do it because they're incorrectly labelled as hipsters. They're VERY laid back and see Hipsters as someone making them look bad, so they hate the culture.

Since I got approval for my surgery, I've been looking around at places to go experience for the last time, food wise.

Went to Cheesecake factory on Saturday. This weekend, we're back off to Orlando to hit Fogo de Chao.

Cannot. Wait. I am going to savor every morsel.

My point was that, at that point, you pretty much are a hipster. Especially once you start hating on hipsters.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I wonder who the most famous hipster is.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

My point was that, at that point, you pretty much are a hipster. Especially once you start hating on hipsters.
    A lot of hipsters I've come across like the things they do "ironically" or are involved because of the fashion of it, not because they have any real passion towards the subject at hand.

People who really DO have those passions rarely are so condescending towards others that dont - its usually the pretenders that are. They need to feel validated.

Gary Busey.
    Movie Theater Diary

Gary Busey.
    Is that every hipster's goal? To be like Gary Busey? Do hipsters know they're hipsters? Or do they need to be told?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I haven't seen an ironic hipster in many, many years. I think it's presumptuous to assume that people do things ironically. Maybe some people do things just because they like to do them.

It's akin to claiming that David Lynch films are "trying too hard to be weird," or that experimental musicians try too hard to be different. Sometimes (re: most of the time, I think) people do things not to try to be anything, they do things because they like to do them and it makes them happy.

It's weird these days that so many people are quick to throw the term "hipster" around as an insult towards someone who is passionate about a hobby or cares about the way they look, dress and act.

It's weird these days that so many people are quick to throw the term "hipster" around as an insult towards someone who is passionate about a hobby or cares about the way they look, dress and act.
    I could care less about someone's hobbies or how they look, dress and act. My mantra has always been that if someone has a passion, GOOD - let them have that passion. We need people to focus on their passions to bring more positivity in the world.

In my view, "hipsters" as it were, use their 'passions' as an excuse to talk down to or denigrate others and their likes. The whole condescending, dismissive "oh, you probably haven't heard of them" bullshit still happens.

If you are really passionate about something, I mean REALLY passionate, wouldn't you want to share it with others? Show them what's so great about it? That's what I do. That's what a lot of people I know do. This subculture, though, it seems to relish the idea that something obscure "belongs" to them and even when they talk to you about it, there is not passion in their voice. Only disdain. They don't try to spread their love. They use their 'love' as a weapon.

When I see it done, it pisses me off to no end.

I've gotten into film conversations with people who've actually been upset by the fact that I not only knew who Wong Kar-Wai was, but that he was one of my favorite film makers. You'd THINK having a similar passion would be a great way to form a bond, but no...this guy not only stopped talking about him completely, he became rather glacial until he was able to find a filmmaker I had NOT heard of, then immediately shifted into "im superior" mode by telling me how I'm not a real fan of cinema unless blah blah blah.

It's happened more than once - and its happened to me and others I know.

There is no true passion in these people. They are stains on culture.

Now, are their people who dress/act like hipsters who have REAL passion for these things? Absolutely. I've had the pleasure of talking to them. I have a very good friend who is often mistaken for a hipster until people actually talk to him.

That's where the division is. People talk to you and then decide "oh, he's not a hipster after all" - it has nothing to do with your likes and passions. Its how you treat people.

And wow, that was a rant. Sorry. I get worked up about it, I admit. Maybe I need an intervention.

Sounds like you're describing a douch-bag or an asshole. Some hip people are douche-bags and assholes, some aren't, and not all assholes or douchebags are hip people.

Yeah, I believe you kinda made up that division yourself, Fezzik. Which is fine, but that definitely isn't the division most adhere to. The thing with the term hipster is that it is immensely vague in definition, and is as much about fashion sense and artistic taste than anything in the way the term is used by most people. Which is why I find people who get really worked up about it because they fit the description somewhat strange.
    Movie Theater Diary

Sounds like you're describing a douch-bag or an asshole. Some hip people are douche-bags and assholes, some aren't, and not all assholes or douchebags are hip people.
    You're right - its just that it seems the term "hipster" has evolved to only include those who act like douchebags. Other people who are hip but NOT douchebags seem to escape that label...at least in my experience/circles.

Caring about the way you dress is what metro-sexuals do. Hipsters do the opposite and don't care and wear clashing clothes, stupid mustaches, thick rimmed classes and wear V neck shirts that says "Buy less Fuck More" while showing off their chest tattoo.

That dude definitely cares about the way he looks.

That dude definitely cares about the way he looks.
    If he did, he wouldn't be working at a used record store.

I'm totally stereotyping and I know this.

And here is the most famous and successful hipster

You don't wax your mustache, keep your beard tightly trimmed and shaped, wear a matching head band, and have ear gauges if you don't care about the way you look.

You don't wax your mustache, keep your beard tightly trimmed and shaped, wear a matching head band, and have ear gauges if you don't care about the way you look.
    Ok, what I mean is, you don't care about the way society looks at you. Better?

It's not an accepted look which would allow him to seek employment outside of minimum wage jobs and some form of fine art profession. Sad but true.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I've given up on identifying hipsters. The term seems like my generation's new variation on "emo." Might've been useful for a few months, now meaningless.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    And here is the most famous and successful hipster

Who is that? No sarcasm intended. I don't recognize him.

Or a job at flight control at NASA. Or a software engineer. Or a job at Microsoft. Or at Amazon. Or Google.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    Who is that? No sarcasm intended. I don't recognize him.
    NASA - flight control for Mars landing.