Page 1433 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 433933133313831423143114321433143414351443148315331933 ... LastLast
Results 35,801 to 35,825 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

- - - - -
    Wait .. are there really a dozen ex-Mormons on this forum?

Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    Wait .. are there really a dozen ex-Mormons on this forum?
    There are a few. Some talk about it, some don't. It's often a sensitive subject.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yep. If you go far back enough in the atheist thread, you'll know which posters. It seems to be a rather painful experience getting out.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Because... I'm Mormon?

It's surprisingly difficult to date outside the faith. The rules are so different it's like trying to date someone who doesn't speak English... or is from Neptune.
    I know you're Mormon. :P

I just can't imagine wanting to limit myself to one specific type of person as a significant other.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I just can't imagine wanting to limit myself to one specific type of person as a significant other.
    I'm surprised you're surprised. I think we all have limitations in a romantic partner that we don't necessarily put on friends. I have plenty of friends who, for instance, have very different political beliefs than mine... but I don't think I could date someone who thought very differently about politics than I do. It's kind of like that.
    ...and the milk's in me.

And I'm not sure this comes across online, because I'm good at compartmentalizing, but my faith is a huge part of my life. It's not an uncomplicated relationship, but it's hard to articulate how powerful it is for me.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I only know girls that are Mormons now that I think about it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Isn't being married, as you are, limiting yourself to one specific type of person as a significant other?

The girl I'm currently dating is very active politically and has very different opinions than mine on some things. But so far it has never been a problem. We discuss if we feel like discussing or we don't if we don't. That's it.

There are some exceptions. I could never date a committed Christian because I'd make fun of her endlessly.

- - - - -
    Pouring rain. Seriously craving pizza from a joint two blocks over. No umbrella. Hmmm ..

They invented delivery, you know.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Heh, I know -- but it struck me as decadent to pay somebody to walk through the rain.

Heh, I know -- but it struck me as decadent to pay somebody to walk through the rain.
    I've ordered delivery from places closer than that. I just threw in a little extra for the tip, the Lazy Man's Fee, if you will.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I offset it. During the summer, I have walked upwards of 45 minutes just to get to a brunch place. During winter, I am decadent as fuck and would ask the Chinese takeout guy from literally across the street to bring me food.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Heh! Those are both good systems but I just can't do it.

I'm too cheap. And I'd feel badly about making some guy do that when I know I can just do it myself.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I know NickGlass has written for Slant, and Boner for an Australian magazine. Who else has written for magazines or major websites?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    New plan: any of the dozen ex-Mormons on the board need to comb through their lists of active friends and relations and set me up a boyfriend. I'll wait. 5% finder's fee.

No long-term commitment necessary. I just need to prove I can do this.
    I've long thought since knowing you online that you and one of my best friends would do quite well together.

Also if you have okcupid you can turn off your visitor status so that people can't see that you're clicking on them but you also can't see who is clicking on you.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm surprised you're surprised. I think we all have limitations in a romantic partner that we don't necessarily put on friends. I have plenty of friends who, for instance, have very different political beliefs than mine... but I don't think I could date someone who thought very differently about politics than I do. It's kind of like that.
    I'm a very liberal atheist. If I was dating I wouldn't only look for very liberal atheist's. In a perfect world your significant other would have exactly the same worldview as you but it seems really limiting to only go with that. My wife was a devout Bahai when I met her.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

My wife's a Jehovah's Witness. I'm not. No problem.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm white, and my wife's not.

She call me a cracker. I don't hit her.

Somehow, it all works.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'm real and my husband is imaginary. I think this works better than real marriage.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'm real, and and my wife is imaginary.

And in no way is that depressing.

I'm going to start using my Discover card more. Just found out that I can apply my rewards points to Amazon purchases. Please don't tell me if this has been possible for a long time. I would like just this one time to be more informed than the other people on this board.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'm going to start using my Discover card more. Just found out that I can apply my rewards points to Amazon purchases. Please don't tell me if this has been possible for a long time. I would like just this one time to be more informed than the other people on this board.
    I didn't know.