Page 1425 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 425925132513751415142314241425142614271435147515251925 ... LastLast
Results 35,601 to 35,625 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I was sort of surprised that I wasn't having more anxiety about having my father visit.

Then it hit. I am now incapable of completing multi-step tasks.

It's always surprising that knowing why I am freaking out doesn't, in fact, help.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You can still contribute to the first word if you didn't see this post in time.

2nd word: Coke
    Bob Villa
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    2nd word: Coke
    ... spoon?

...Good experiment, duke.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Do you guys mind if I try something here? I am going to post three words over the next few hours. Can you post the first thing that comes to mind when you read it? It can be a single word, a sentence or phrase...

1st word: Burger
    Last Word: Berry
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Halle
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Dingle
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    ...Good experiment, duke.
    I was trying to prove a theory (about how the mind reacts to certain words and how people are drawn to certain words after another word precedes it)but the evidence in this thread suggests my theory was incorrect. I mistakenly forgot about how different parts of the country use different words for the same meaning. I need to conduct this experiment in 1 region.

We play a game here at work every morning. I have a daily calendar that gives ten clues to reach an answer. The fist clue is the most generic clue such as, "I am a singer" or "I am a US state". Sometimes it's easier like. "I am a great lake". We need to write down what we think the answer is based on the first clue even if it's as generic as "I am male". If you get it correct, you get a point. Person with the most points at the end of the year doesn't have to pay when we go out for our Christmas party. The game started getting more complicated and we started making rules. One of the rules is you need to have written down your answer EXACTLY as it is shown on the calendar or you do not get a point. I wanted to make the argument that certain words should be considered as the correct answer.

For example, the other day the clue was: "I am a fictional place". Someone wrote down "Oz" and the answer was "The Land of Oz".

Another example is "I am a phenomenon"; someone wrote "Northern Lights" and the answer was "Aurora Borealis"

Both of these people did not get a point, and I wanted to make the argument that they should.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Going forward I'll post the first clue of game every morning to see how everyone does (I can even make a new thread and we could have our own little game). Obvious rule is you can't use Google. But most of the time google won't help you, unless you don't know all of the great lakes, states, oceans, mountain ranges, etc and Google would save you.

- - - - -
    Kinda agree, but I can see why people won't.

You can give the correct answer on Jeopardy, but if you don't do it in the accepted format then it doesn't count. Them's the rules.

OTOH, for a year long office game where the prize might be worth ~fifty bucks, it seems unnecessarily strict.

Last Word: Berry
    Marion
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    Kinda agree, but I can see why people won't.

You can give the correct answer on Jeopardy, but if you don't do it in the accepted format then it doesn't count. Them's the rules.

OTOH, for a year long office game where the prize might be worth ~fifty bucks, it seems unnecessarily strict.
    Even in Jeopardy, they still have leeway. If the answer is "Who is Joseph Stalin?" and a contestant says, "Who is Stalin?" they will accept it as correct.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Even in Jeopardy, they still have leeway. If the answer is "Who is Joseph Stalin?" and a contestant says, "Who is Stalin?" they will accept it as correct.
    That's one rule we kept the same. If the clue is a person, and you only have the last name written down, that counts.

Jeopardy will also accept alternate answers sometimes. Trebek tells the contestant 'no', but they then go back and review it and retroactively reward the points.

- - - - -
    I was pointing out the nature of the rules between the two games, and how they're based on formatting.

In Jeopardy, you don't get credit unless you answer in the form of a question. In Duke's game, you don't get credit unless you state the full answer as he described.

These are both arbitrary rules. There is no leeway with them at all. They may or may not be fair, but if you agree to them beforehand and still play the game there isn't much basis for complaint.

Answer to Berry:

Blue.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

"I am a sport"

Rugberry?

"I am a sport"

"MOO"

Your mom?

[
    ]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Cricket!
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Cricket!
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I finally ate at this local hotdog restaurant today. Sat down, had a brat and a beer with a side of fries. It was pretty good, or at least different from the usual stuff I eat for lunch.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Few things are more soul-crushing as a teacher than realizing that students never understood material properly. A class just turned in their final assignments, the last two of which required two (academic) sources cited in APA-style. We went over these principles and they nodded expectantly. So I didn't belabor the point. Looking at their essays today revealed that they basically all flamed out, fully bungling any notion of in-text citation and leaving me bewildered as to when they weren't just reciting a source.

The highest grade on an assignment worth 175 is a super-low C, and she glossed over the idea of academic sources. One plagiarized her intro and conclusion, and another did a sucktastic 109/175. I hate myself and my belief in these students right now. :sad:
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Few things are more soul-crushing as a teacher than realizing that students never understood material properly. A class just turned in their final assignments, the last two of which required two (academic) sources cited in APA-style. We went over these principles and they nodded expectantly. So I didn't belabor the point. Looking at their essays today revealed that they basically all flamed out, fully bungling any notion of in-text citation and leaving me bewildered as to when they weren't just reciting a source.

The highest grade on an assignment worth 175 is a super-low C, and she glossed over the idea of academic sources. One plagiarized her intro and conclusion, and another did a sucktastic 109/175. I hate myself and my belief in these students right now. :sad:
    What age are they?