Page 1398 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 398898129813481388139613971398139914001408144814981898 ... LastLast
Results 34,926 to 34,950 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    People's opinions on studio apartments? I'm considering buying one.
    Buying or renting? It's a little awkward having a bed right next to the kitchen, but you get used to it quickly.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Buying or renting? It's a little awkward having a bed right next to the kitchen, but you get used to it quickly.
    Definitely buying. The place I'm looking at also has a little enclave in the main living space where a Murphy bed could be placed, so I could make the bed go away.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

I guess it all depends. Me, I like having a separate room for sleeping, but I s'pose if I were single and the space and its location were amazing enough, I'd be willing to sacrifice some of the amenities a larger space would bring.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Well, I should say *a* place I was looking at had an enclave where the bed could be put away. There's already several offers on the place in less than 24 hours. Jesus.

What is the older/younger age range you guys find acceptable for romantic attachments? Does it broaden with age? Is it different for men/women?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    What is the older/younger age range you guys find acceptable for romantic attachments? Does it broaden with age? Is it different for men/women?
    As long as both people are of legal age it's acceptable for me. My mom is 30 years younger then her husband.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    As long as both people are of legal age it's acceptable for me. My mom is 30 years younger then her husband.
    Interesting. Do they have children?

And would you, personally, be comfortable dating someone that far apart from you in age? (I know you're married, but theoretically.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

There's an age difference between Jen and I. I know she doesn't like me saying what it is, but it's there, and obviously is of no concern to us.

I've always felt more comfortable with people who are older than me, anyways. Maybe I grew up too fast because of all the medical nightmares I went through as a child.

Even when I was 12 or 13 I much preferred being around my older brother's friends - I felt more in common with them than the kids in my classes at school.

And most all of my really close friends in life have been older than me.

Good to see you, buddy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I expressed an interest today in a man a few years older than me-- eight, I think-- and my sister looked at me like I was nuts. He's definitely in a different stage of life than I am (he's divorced, with teen-aged kids) but I didn't think he was outside the realm of interest. But it made my sister very uncomfortable.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I expressed an interest today in a man a few years older than me-- eight, I think-- and my sister looked at me like I was nuts. He's definitely in a different stage of life than I am (he's divorced, with teen-aged kids) but I didn't think he was outside the realm of interest. But it made my sister very uncomfortable.

In my opinion the age issue is of no consequence. His being in a different stage of life has to do with his being divorced and with children, but even then I feel "stage" is a poor descriptor - he's just in a different life than you are. And that does not mean at all that you are incompatible.

Jen and I's age difference is more than 8 years. We are also from different countries, cultures and religions. But we feel the same age, and we complete each other. I can't imagine life without her.

That is what matters, not some arbitrary number.

Hmm. Would her or any family's discomfort influence your decision in pursuing a relationship with this man, or someone else similarly different in age?

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Hmm. Would her or any family's discomfort influence your decision in pursuing a relationship with this man, or someone else similarly different in age?
    Not really. (Although thinking like that it jumping the gun-- I've only met him a few times.) I guess I'm just surprised that she was surprised by it. To me, it seems obvious that I would find this man interesting. He's near my age, single, attractive, funny and smart. And I know my sister likes him personally.

And honestly, it's not just my sister. The few times I've met this man (who is a friend of my extended family) everybody acts like the idea that I might like him has never crossed their minds.

The second time we met, the same relative who had introduced us the first time introduced us again, and I laughed and said, "Yes, we've met." We were going in to a see a play en masse, and I finagled to sit next to him, because I liked him quite a bit the first time we met. Then my mother insisted we change seats because she was afraid she wouldn't be able to hear, and after we'd relocated, I made a joke about her separating me from the attractive man. She looked at me in total bafflement, and said, "Who are you talking about?"

A couple of months later, I mentioned to a relative that they should bring their friend around more often. I called him "good-looking" and made a joke, and they just kind of stared at me and couldn't figure out who I meant. (It didn't help that I couldn't remember his name at first.) A couple months after that, they brought around a lady who I knew was friends with him, and I said, "Oh, yes, I know your friend [guy.]" And my relatives were like, "Oh, how do you know him?"

Today, I didn't realize he was going to be at a family event, but when I saw him I went up and smiled and said hello. Then the same relative tried to introduce us a third time. Like... you really think I'm not going to remember this person? Later, in the ladies' room with my mother, I mentioned that I was glad he had come, because I like him, and she stared at me and said, "Who are you talking about?"

And then the thing with my sister.

I'm starting to think there's some weird kind of disconnect going on, and I don't know where it is. Is it a problem with me? Does my family think I'm not the sort of person who is interested in men? Or is it a problem with him? Does he not register with them as being someone who incites interest? Or am I so far out of his league that it's just silly for me to say something like that out loud? Or is it the age difference thing? I really don't know.
    ...and the milk's in me.

An eight year age difference between two people in their 20s/30s really doesn't seem like an eyebrow raiser to me at all.

Isn't the rule of thumb half plus seven? I'm sure it's a silly rule, but you're clearly comfortably within that general guideline of social acceptability.

Interesting. Do they have children?

And would you, personally, be comfortable dating someone that far apart from you in age? (I know you're married, but theoretically.)
    No they don't have children. They just got married like 5 years ago and he's in his 80's. It's my mom's third marriage (besides my dad and my brother's dad) and he is by far the best of the three. He makes her happy that's all I care about and he's a really nice guy.

Me personally would I date someone that much older, probably not. Not because I see anything wrong with it I just don't find I would have much in common with someone that much older then me not to mention finding them attractive.

I'm 33 and I could see being interested in someone in their 40's.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

You should present him with a master/submissive contract of sexual obligation.

I'm starting to think there's some weird kind of disconnect going on, and I don't know where it is. Is it a problem with me? Does my family think I'm not the sort of person who is interested in men? Or is it a problem with him? Does he not register with them as being someone who incites interest? Or am I so far out of his league that it's just silly for me to say something like that out loud? Or is it the age difference thing? I really don't know.
    It's as Ann as the nose on Plain's face.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It's as Ann as the nose on Plain's face.
    He's good-looking. I mean, he's not a model, but he's not someone that would be thought plain. He's better-looking than I am.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm too old for this high school dithering. I'm going to find out what's going on. I have a call into a member of the family who I know will be straight with me. I haven't done anything to be embarrassed about, and I figure we can talk it through like adults.

I do actually have a theory: that he might either be interested in, or in the process of being set up with another member of my family who is a few years older than he is. Which, if true, is absolutely fine. She is a lovely woman and I adore her, and since I like him I would completely approve. I would just prefer to know.
    ...and the milk's in me.

No matter how much trouble he tends to be, Raphael is still my favorite Ninja Turtle.

No way. Donatello is the right answer.
    TV Recently Finished:

At this point in my life (27), I find undergraduate students (<22) too young and those in their forties too old. I also have a difficult time considering dating those with kids. I'm working on this...

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    No matter how much trouble he tends to be, Raphael is still my favorite Ninja Turtle.
    Def.

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    No way. Donatello is the right answer.
    Say wah? If youdda said Leonardo or even Michaelangelo I could imagine the reasoning but Donatello I'm at a loss.

donatello's the nerdy one, hence my favorite