Page 1385 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 385885128513351375138313841385138613871395143514851885 ... LastLast
Results 34,601 to 34,625 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's Q's fault.
    Really? Qrazy's not the only person who has ever questioned if Irish was a troll. Even Mara did a while back, innocently, and Irish told her to fuck off. If his reason for leaving really has something to do with people's attitude towards his posts, blaming it on one guy is ridiculous. He gets piled on in half of the threads he participated in, by half a dozen posters at a time. All the time.

Besides, I thought Qrazy was joking that last time in the BB thread.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Irish and I agreed on more things than anyone else who posts here. I feel like I've lost a kindred spirit.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Irish and I agreed on more things than anyone else who posts here. I feel like I've lost a kindred spirit.
    Stop trolling.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Just thought I would point out that Irish has decided to leave the boards for good. He has asked for his account to be disabled.
    Too bad. I thought his Breaking Bad arguments were a little silly, but we've all been there.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Even Mara did a while back, innocently, and Irish told her to fuck off.
    Semi-innocently, and for the record I feel bad about that.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Really? Qrazy's not the only person who has ever questioned if Irish was a troll. Even Mara did a while back, innocently, and Irish told her to fuck off. If his reason for leaving really has something to do with people's attitude towards his posts, blaming it on one guy is ridiculous. He gets piled on in half of the threads he participated in, by half a dozen posters at a time. All the time.

Besides, I thought Qrazy was joking that last time in the BB thread.
    Yes really. Even if he was joking (which I doubt he was), his post history on the exact same subject matter is enough to push anyone over the edge over time. The memes are one thing, but the one-liners after a sincere post is enough to say: “I don’t have the effort to put an equally thoughtful post together so I am going to skirt the subject by making a joke or just attack the poster since that’s what we do around here when we disagree”.

Being the minority side of discussions is NOT an excuse to tolerate this behavior.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Stop trolling.
    We're like brothers from different mothers. We both can't stand Avatar, think a lot of geek television is lame, like good science fiction, and we both think that The Fly is the worst episode of Breaking Bad ever.

Also, Raiders can you please fix that smilie

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

We're like brothers from different mothers. We both can't stand Avatar, think a lot of geek television is lame, like good science fiction, and we both think that The Fly is the worst episode of Breaking Bad ever.

Well, maybe you need to leave too!
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I sent him a PM, which apparently we can still do. Not sure if he'll actually get it, but it was worth a shot.
    If he is true to his word, he will not be reading it. I cannot "disable" his account really without banning him and/or deleting, the latter of which I will not do. I will deviously leave it unblocked in case he changes his mind.

As for his reason, I would prefer not to go into any detail of what his PM said, but it was definitely not one event. I think he realized he would never "fit in" as too many times his discussions turned ugly and decided to make a clean break.

The problem with a small, insular community like this (as opposed to the sprawl of RT) is that you can't really ignore certain people or post only certain places. It's too narrow. I always wished we would expand, but it has never happened. I said it a few days ago, but the site clearly has a limited lifespan with the lack of new membership. Eventually enough will move on that we'll close up.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Well, maybe you need to leave too!
    Maybe I will!

But not before I have my revenge!

Eventually enough will move on that we'll close up.
    :|

With that attitude, why delay the inevitable?

Maybe I will!

But not before I have my revenge!
    Make sure to sport a Daimajin avatar when you go on your rampage.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting romantisaurusrex (view post)
    This is interesting to read, because the season finale of season 2 made me quit the show...just was no longer interested in his story afterwards.
    I almost left also, glad I stuck with it.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Because it's not true.

As long as there is one person arguing about Speed Racer, there will be a MC.

As long as people make ambient music, bizarre covers of novelty songs in funny voices, and video mash-ups, there will be a MC.

As long as two yellow faces dancing is called a pritch, there will be a MC.

As long as disposable pop culture can be dismissed with a "meh," there will be a MC.

As long as human creatures can make snap judgments on a film slated to come out in four years based on a leaked image that might just be a fan's clever photoshop project, there will be a MC.

AS LONG AS THERE ARE BLACK WORDS ON A BLUISH-GRAY BACKGROUND, THERE WILL BE A MC.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar

I don't understand a) the aggression; and b) your point.

Posting activity has slowed. User activity (logging in) has slowed. Participation has slowed. New members are very few and far between and those who keep posting even less so (Irish was here two years and he was one of the most recent active posters). It is what it is. Obviously it isn't now or any time soon, but it will happen at the current rate we are going. Perhaps I should have said that at some point, I will pass the site to someone else if there is a willing person.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

We just need to make Match Cut bigger (but not too big). I've been talking about Match Cut to my friends IRL, but they usually just lurk. We need to get some high-profile people on here and maybe they'll spread the word better.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

It doesn't help that a lot of posters solely post in one or two threads only (shaun:sports, chrisnu:basketball, Barty:anything political, TGM:upcoming films).
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

I don't understand a) the aggression; and b) your point.

Posting activity has slowed. User activity (logging in) has slowed. Participation has slowed. New members are very few and far between and those who keep posting even less so (Irish was here two years and he was one of the most recent active posters). It is what it is. Obviously it isn't now or any time soon, but it will happen at the current rate we are going. Perhaps I should have said that at some point, I will pass the site to someone else if there is a willing person.
    I guess I'm the only one pissed off about this and to say eventually the site will die is like giving up already. I want this place to be around for 10, 20, 30 years. I'm with Mara, I don't think posting has slowed. Contrariety to what the analytic say, there's always been enough discussion here to satisfy me. There's always a new thread about the latest movie, tv show, book or album.

Or maybe most people here think there's a problem? If so, instead of trying to fix this problem, we're all just ignoring it. Did you make any attempt to try and keep him here? Or get any contact info from him? Or ask him to reconsider? Maybe have said something to make him feel wanted? It's not like I'm the only one here saying losing him on MC is a huge loss....

I've been recruiting for this place for years from other forums and many people have joined as a result (Israfel, Beau, Brightside, etc). Just do that people and stop acting so tragic.

Also regardless of what Irish said specifically, odds are he left because he realized he was sinking too much time into the site and taking it too personally. And good for him because while I like it here it is addictive and can function as a time suck.

Duke, your blaming me for his leaving is ridiculous and false. It was Irish who responded to my thoughtful response about North by Northwest with a facile reduction. I then responded to his reduction with a dismissal.

I'd continue this post but for fear I'm going to offend you further and somehow unwittingly force you to uninstall your operating system.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I've been recruiting for this place for years from other forums and many people have joined as a result (Israfel, Beau, Brightside, etc). Just do that people and stop acting so tragic.

Also regardless of what Irish said specifically, odds are he left because he realized he was sinking too much time into the site and taking it too personally. And good for him because while I like it here it is addictive and can function as a time suck.

Duke, your blaming me for his leaving is ridiculous and false. It was Irish who responded to my thoughtful response about North by Northwest with a facile reduction. I then responded to his reduction with a dismissal.

I'd continue this post but for fear I'm going to offend you further and somehow unwittingly force you to uninstall your operating system.
    I can't read all the discussions because I don't want to spoil the content for myself, but I know the last post you had in that thread and I'd say you were definitely a factor with him leaving whether you want to believe it or not.

And yeh, maybe I will leave, since it's pointless to continue here. Although the content is different, the same point driven arguments continue to occur, people get offended which leads to people acting out of line with no repercussions from the parties at fault, no one ever apologizes for anything, (except maybe MM and Meg) no one ever takes responsibility and the site will eventually die a slow painful death.

Yes really. Even if he was joking (which I doubt he was), his post history on the exact same subject matter is enough to push anyone over the edge over time. The memes are one thing, but the one-liners after a sincere post is enough to say: “I don’t have the effort to put an equally thoughtful post together so I am going to skirt the subject by making a joke or just attack the poster since that’s what we do around here when we disagree”.

Being the minority side of discussions is NOT an excuse to tolerate this behavior.
    No, what I take issue with is the reductive idea of one poster being responsible for another poster feeling unwelcome enough to leave the forum. Meg took his sabbatical after a tiff with Syco. Was it Syco's fault? Or is it a number of similar incidents with other people that built into a frustration? I don't think any of the regulars here engage in the level of pointed harassment to do such a thing, and more importantly, I think it takes a number of people from the community to push someone away. I suspected that it was because, like I said, discussions Irish participates in tends to turn ugly with or without Qrazy's involvement, and Raiders said as much.
    Movie Theater Diary

I can't read all the discussions because I don't want to spoil the content for myself, but I know the last post you had in that thread and I'd say you were definitely a factor with him leaving whether you want to believe it or not.

And yeh, maybe I will leave, since it's pointless to continue here. Although the content is different, the same point driven arguments continue to occur, people get offended which leads to people acting out of line with no repercussions from the parties at fault, no one ever apologizes for anything, (except maybe MM and Meg) no one ever takes responsibility and the site will eventually die a slow painful death.
    wah wah wah, you just don't want to be around when tebow and the jets beat your beloved pats

[]

No, what I take issue with is the reductive idea of one poster being responsible for another poster feeling unwelcome enough to leave the forum. Meg took his sabbatical after a tiff with Syco. Was it Syco's fault? Or is it a number of similar incidents with other people that built into a frustration? I don't think any of the regulars here engage in the level of pointed harassment to do such a thing, and more importantly, I think it takes a number of people from the community to push someone away. I suspected that it was because, like I said, discussions Irish participates in tends to turn ugly with or without Qrazy's involvement, and Raiders said as much.
    Fine I agree with it not all being on Q, but I DO think Q engages to the level of pointless harassment from time to time AS did Syco. (Syco obviously has made a point to reevaluate the way he conducts himself on the forums. That's a good sign!) The memes are an example of this. And my argument is, if you are known for a particular behavior in an argument/discussion, then whatever you say in future discussion joking or sincere, will affect the way your post is perceived.