Page 1003 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 3503903953993100110021003100410051013105311031503 ... LastLast
Results 25,051 to 25,075 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    True, considered that, but I think there's also been a kind of plateau effect on the questions, like if the question contains "Civil War" and "prison," just buzz in and say "Andersonville" cause that's the only one that anyone really knows. I see questions like that all the time. Maybe it's always been this way and I didn't notice.
    I've noticed that there has been a disparity in difficult between certain categories. I refer to throwaway categories as "retard Jeopardy." Within the typical categories, though, I have noticed they've been a bit more...lopsided; I don't think the $1000 (or $2000 questions, if it's Double Jeopardy) have been as difficult as they used to be.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    Enter the Void (Noé): 5.99
    Oh you pedantic asshole.

(note: haven't seen the move)
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Wait - guys. Wasn't meg joking? I thought he was pulling a Michael Scott?

I actually heard someone say this last night: Dude! You saw Caddy Shack on laserdisc? That's the greatest thing ever!

We were at a bar last night playing some board games, and the table behind us was full of these kind-of-hipster dudes, all in their late 20s, all with glasses, hoodies and ironic tees, and they talked about pop-culture for like 4 hours. Almost everything they talked about was something I had read on Fark and Reddit over the last week. It was pretty funny. My friend and I almost when up to them to ask them what their Fark handle or Redditor names were.

I will say, though, there is still--STILL--nothing quite as frustrating as knowing an answer but not being able to get it out before someone buzzes in. If I were on the show, that would kill me and fluster me badly.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I don't HATE chain restaurants-- food is food, and food is a nice thing-- but I sort of see it as the place you go when you don't really have other options. But I know plenty of people who are picky enough that they want a meal they've had a dozen times, no matter what city they are in, rather than take a chance on something new.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I hate chains because most chains are shit.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    Mars 2112 is the best NYC restaurant
    You're hilarious. Or 5 years old.

To go back to what number8 said, I am actually dissuaded from going to any restaurant in midtown. Overall, there's a propensity for midtown establishments to be overpriced, unimaginative, inauthentic, and packed with tourists; however, even when I come across a review or a recommendation for a superlative restaurant, and then I notice it's in the midtown area, I disregard the suggestion almost immediately.

This is for number8:

Because he's filled with love and joy.

--Homer

Most chains don't come to my neighborhood because it's so old that they don't have room for the traditional store models: lots of space, lots of parking. It just isn't feasible.

So it's cool, because I have three dozen small, privately owned places to eat within a six block radius. I keep wanting to try them all, but my progress has been slowed by lack of funds.

But I persevere. I WILL TRY ALL THE CRAB CAKES. I WILL.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I don't HATE chain restaurants-- food is food, and food is a nice thing-- but I sort of see it as the place you go when you don't really have other options. But I know plenty of people who are picky enough that they want a meal they've had a dozen times, no matter what city they are in, rather than take a chance on something new.
    The best is when European tourists come to NYC and then eat at McDonalds, and they have this dawning realization that American McDonalds are comparably shit to theirs.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Then you've never tried to get somewhere through Times Square.
    walking to midtown comics from penn station every wednesday morning is one of my least favorite things about buying comics

The best is when European tourists come to NYC and then eat at McDonalds, and they have this dawning realization that American McDonalds are comparably shit to theirs.
    We ate at McDonalds in Paris a couple of times, which was depressing. But I was a kid and didn't have any money, and consequently didn't have a say.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Oh you pedantic asshole.

(note: haven't seen the move)
    The pedantic asshole-ry implied within my rating is totally deliberate, obviously. I'm rating a Gaspar Noe film, after all. I just find my thoughts on the quality of that film so conflicted. I was very open to what it offered, and it's an experience rich in its conceit and concepts. My major problem was the narrative forced on the visual and aural trip, which yielded shockingly lame attempts at depth and symbolic imagery.

But I know plenty of people who are picky enough that they want a meal they've had a dozen times, no matter what city they are in, rather than take a chance on something new.
    Well, then, they deserve the boring shit they eat.

Had breakfast at McD's in Ireland years ago. It was pretty good, but I don't recall it as being a lot better. Now...the Japanese we had in Ireland...way better than anywhere I've ever had it. Scarily better.

--Homer

While waiting for a train in Italy, I went to the McDonald's for Papas Vertigo. Or... Curly Fries.

You don't have that shit in America.

And that's why Italy is #1.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Beer in McDonalds says it all.

Asian McDonalds are probably the craziest, though. Japan has some wild shit on their menu, and back in Indonesia I could order rice, fried chicken and satay at McDonalds, among other things.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    In Paris you can get a Beer with your Big Mac
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

All this talk reminds me of when I went with my scout troop to South Dakota back in 2001. We all wanted to try something local and different, but my scout master dragged us to a fucking McDonald's instead. Weak.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Beer in McDonalds says it all.

Asian McDonalds are probably the craziest, though. Japan has some wild shit on their menu, and back in Indonesia I could order rice, fried chicken and satay at McDonalds, among other things.

If there's one thing I've learned from 14 years of scouring the internet, this is it.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    All this talk reminds me of when I went with my scout troop to South Dakota back in 2001. We all wanted to try something local and different, but my scout master dragged us to a fucking McDonald's instead. Weak.
    South Dakota's idea of different is probably Carl's Jr anyway.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    South Dakota's idea of different is probably Carl's Jr anyway.
    Hah, maybe. I still wish we could have found something local there, and given it a shot, instead of eating at crappy McDonald's.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So... is Jennifer Lawrence just a complete flipping idiot? She gave an interview to Rolling Stone where she uses the word "dykey" (to describe her tomboyish interests) and then says, ""little redneck things still come out." Like what? "I'm attracted to my brother. Stuff like that."

Brilliant, little girl. There's nothing like homophobic slurs and jokes about incest to poise yourself as a serious actress in contention for an Oscar.
    ...and the milk's in me.

In my dream last night, I had a friend who designed unusual jelly bean flavors for Jelly Belly. She wanted me to try a new one she made called 'Brown Addiction.' And I was, like, "No, that's a disgusting name. It sounds dirty. I'm not eating that."

She looked hurt and said, "It's just a chocolate flavor. You know, because chocolate is brown, and it's so good that it's addicting."

And I said, "I hate to say this, but 'Brown Addiction' is the worst chocolate name EVER."

I'm awake now, and I still think I was right.
    ...and the milk's in me.

In my dream last night, I had a friend who designed unusual jelly bean flavors for Jelly Belly. She wanted me to try a new one she made called 'Brown Addiction.' And I was, like, "No, that's a disgusting name. It sounds dirty. I'm not eating that."

She looked hurt and said, "It's just a chocolate flavor. You know, because chocolate is brown, and it's so good that it's addicting."

And I said, "I hate to say this, but 'Brown Addiction' is the worst chocolate name EVER."

I'm awake now, and I still think I was right.
    Cocoa Addiction would have been better.

--Homer