Page 1002 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 2502902952992100010011002100310041012105211021502 ... LastLast
Results 25,026 to 25,050 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Just took the online Jeopardy qualifying test. Don't think you'll be seeing me in Sony Pictures Studios any time soon.
    How's that work? What's to prevent people from opening a wiki page?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    How's that work? What's to prevent people from opening a wiki page?

You have 15 seconds to enter an answer until it goes on to the next one. It would be impossible to research it that quickly and then type in your answer. Basically, if it doesn't come to you right away, you're screwed.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Don't get too excited about Bubba Gump Shrimp meg. It's not very good.
    I have never been, but I have heard what E said from many people.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I don't know why you'd get excited about eating at a Hard Rock Cafe-type tourist trap in NYC when there are so many amazing restaurants to get excellent food, and not all of them expensive. It's basically the eating capital of the world.

I've heard this, too.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

That's like being excited to eat at Red Lobster.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    You have 15 seconds to enter an answer until it goes on to the next one. It would be impossible to research it that quickly and then type in your answer. Basically, if it doesn't come to you right away, you're screwed.
    Yeah, I probably only got about 25 out of 50. I did, however, ace all the art/literature/film categories. Oh, except for my spazz out which lead me to type "Battleship Down" instead of "Watership Down." Oopsie. I would love to try out for a specialized Humanities Jeopardy, though.

I don't know why you'd get excited about eating at a Hard Rock Cafe-type tourist trap in NYC when there are so many amazing restaurants to get excellent food, and not all of them expensive. It's basically the eating capital of the world.
    Er, yeah, meg, there's an absurd amount of superior--and cheaper--restaurants. You know, and they're not in Times Square.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That's like being excited to eat at Red Lobster.
    I'd say it's rather worse, due to the cosmopolitan, hundreds-of-other-options setting.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    I'd say it's rather worse, due to the cosmopolitan, hundreds-of-other-options setting.
    We haven't forgotten Bubbagump. No, we have not.

Howsabout we get some recommendation for good, quality-for-the-price places in New York to eat? I'd love a list, myself, because I keep swearing I'm going up one of these weekends. (My folks go up once a month, practically. I'm so lame.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, I probably only got about 25 out of 50. I did, however, ace all the art/literature/film categories. Oh, except for my spazz out which lead me to type "Battleship Down" instead of "Watership Down." Oopsie. I would love to try out for a specialized Humanities Jeopardy, though.

I got 28, including most of the arts ones. Pissed off I didn't get the 3 time Swedish Oscar winner. I panicked and put in Liv Ullman.

There's one here in Charleston that I haven't been to. It might be a bit better, though, since Charleston does seafood pretty darn well overall.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

What's the diff? Red Lobster is like 3 blocks down from Bubba Gump in Times Square.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I think Jeopardy! has gotten markedly easier recently. i can answer a healthy number of questions on a given night, and then guess (correctly) at a chunk of the rest. You constantly see each player frantically clicking as soon as the question is given. It's just a matter of who gets there first...or is allowed to. I swear sometimes it seems like the person who got the previous question right is allowed a very small grace period in clicking in on the next question.

--Homer

I think Jeopardy! has gotten markedly easier recently. i can answer a healthy number of questions on a given night, and then guess (correctly) at a chunk of the rest. You constantly see each player frantically clicking as soon as the question is given. It's just a matter of who gets there first...or is allowed to. I swear sometimes it seems like the person who got the previous question right is allowed a very small grace period in clicking in on the next question.
    I can answer a lot of questions, too, but I figured it's because I'm older and smarter than I used to be.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    We haven't forgotten Bubbagump. No, we have not.
    Blast from the past!

Howsabout we get some recommendation for good, quality-for-the-price places in New York to eat? I'd love a list, myself, because I keep swearing I'm going up one of these weekends. (My folks go up once a month, practically. I'm so lame.)
    I can provide a totally mondo list, but there's such a plethora that I'd need specifics on borough (or, even better, neighborhood), price, and cuisine. From there, I would love to give you recommendations--I just need you to narrow it down a teensy bit. I do my research, eat out a lot, and have particular loyalties to certain family-owned restaurants/bars/cafes.

You know what, though, the quality of the food wouldn't be my main reason of avoiding establishments like Bubba Gump. I avoid Times Square (and Midtown in general) like the fucking plague if I can help it. It's the only place I've been to where just walking down the sidewalk is like trying to fuck a bull with a spiky asshole.
    Movie Theater Diary

I got 28, including most of the arts ones. Pissed off I didn't get the 3 time Swedish Oscar winner. I panicked and put in Liv Ullman.
    Oh, if only that were true! A friend, who knows film quite well, also flubbed on that question.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That analogy is very strange 8.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What's the diff? Red Lobster is like 3 blocks down from Bubba Gump in Times Square.
    Oh, I was considering that in regards to locations. Red Lobster mostly thrives in the suburbs (where options outside of obnoixious, generic chain restaurants are admittedly limited), while Bubba Gump restaurants tend to be in cosmopolitan locales with a plethora of superior alternatives.

You are not alone in noting this progression.

Oh, I was considering that in regards to locations. Red Lobster mostly thrives in the suburbs (where options outside of obnoixious, generic chain restaurants are admittedly limited), while Bubba Gump restaurants tend to be in cosmopolitan locales with a plethora of superior alternatives.
    Like The Cheesecake Factory. [/barf]

You know what, though, the quality of the food wouldn't be my main reason of avoiding establishments like Bubba Gump. I avoid Times Square (and Midtown in general) like the fucking plague if I can help it. It's the only place I've been to where just walking down the sidewalk is like trying to fuck a bull with a spiky asshole.
    Let's say it's both reasons and call it a day.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That analogy is very strange 8.
    Then you've never tried to get somewhere through Times Square.
    Movie Theater Diary

I can answer a lot of questions, too, but I figured it's because I'm older and smarter than I used to be.
    True, considered that, but I think there's also been a kind of plateau effect on the questions, like if the question contains "Civil War" and "prison," just buzz in and say "Andersonville" cause that's the only one that anyone really knows. I see questions like that all the time. Maybe it's always been this way and I didn't notice.

--Homer

Mars 2112 is the best NYC restaurant