Page 1954 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 9541454185419041944195219531954195519561964 ... LastLast
Results 48,826 to 48,850 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

It doesn't annoy me, but my ears always prick up when someone says bag like "baig," or leg like "laig."

I also know people who pronounce the letter M like "ilm," and I don't understand it.

People who combine "di" in words into a "j" sound.

Medium becomes "mee-jum"
    Studio becomes "stu-jee-o"
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

That table nachos idea has to be trolling for likes. It's hilarious.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Don't mean to sound like like old fart, but what the hell is up with new music these days?

I just heard back to back...

I Want You to Ruin My Life
    and
    Break Up With Your Girlfriend ('Cause I'm Bored)

Wtf?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Don't mean to sound like like old fart, but what the hell is up with new music these days?

I just heard back to back...

I Want You to Ruin My Life
    and
    Break Up With Your Girlfriend ('Cause I'm Bored)

Wtf?
    Listened to part of the first song. Very bland. 2nd one ... never been a fan of Grande. She seems very manufactured. It's rare when a pop artist stands out for me, personally. Lots of them are flashes in the pan, anyway.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I prefer good Christian music like Metallica’s cover of So What.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Listened to part of the first song. Very bland. 2nd one ... never been a fan of Grande. She seems very manufactured. It's rare when a pop artist stands out for me, personally. Lots of them are flashes in the pan, anyway.
    I'm just like...

The world is getting more socially conscious, MeToo is huge and continues to get bigger, the way we talk to and about other people is becoming more and more of a focal point for political discussion every day.

And one of the biggest songs of the year was "Break Up With Your Girlfriend ('Cause I'm Bored)"??

I’d suggest you not check out some of Cardi B’s hits....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I'm just like...

The world is getting more socially conscious, MeToo is huge and continues to get bigger, the way we talk to and about other people is becoming more and more of a focal point for political discussion every day.

And one of the biggest songs of the year was "Break Up With Your Girlfriend ('Cause I'm Bored)"??
    It's satire.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I’d suggest you not check out some of Cardi B’s hits....
    Yeah that Wet Ass Platypus is too racy for me.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    It's satire.
    What makes you think that? I see no signs of satire in the lyrics.

And I don't think Ariana Grande makes music that is smart enough to cross to the satire side of the road.

She's playing a character in that song. It's an exaggeration of a "certain type of woman" in general, but more specifically a play on Ariana Grande's public persona which is over-dissected because she's a massive pop star. Clearly you're not a fan, which is totally fine, but most people who enjoy her/that song understand it as very tongue-in-cheek.

EDIT: I may come off here as a big fan of this particular song, but I'm not. It's one of a few songs I tolerate on an otherwise brilliant pop album.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 02-10-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Honestly it seems like something she would say / do in earnest.

This is the same person who licked baked goods and put them back on shelves in a bakery.

And who had persistent, reliable rumors about her that she is just so precious, she is carried around like a child.

- - - - -
    Watching the video and reading the lyrics ... I wouldn't call it satire.

But it is an expression of desire. Pop stars have sung about sex for as long as there's been pop. So what?

I think it's a mistake to confuse consensual desire with a protest largely about date rape.

The message of the song isn't "consensual desire is good".

"I have nothing better to do...you should end your committed relationship because I might consider you for a booty call."

That's not a gross message?

I've done plenty of stupid stuff throughout my life. Luckily the paparazzi leave me alone. If you're so convinced she's as messed up as the character in that song (which, by the way, was written by a staff of people, not Grande alone), then at least give her credit for baring her ugly soul in one of her biggest singles.

It would be a gross message if it were meant to be taken seriously. "break up with your boyfriend, i'm bored," even just the title, is funny. Not even the imaginary thot-iest of thots would text that with a straight face.

Eh, she's been a vocal proponent of other "cancel culture" causes, of which the entire point is to act like a flash mob / witch hunt and destroy people for mistakes they made when they were younger and dumber.

She shouldn't be exempt.

Sorry, I have zero sympathy for the ultra rich and celebrities with all that is currently going on, and zero changes on the horizon.

- - - - -
    The message of the song isn't "consensual desire is good".

"I have nothing better to do...you should end your committed relationship because I might consider you for a booty call."

The song doesn't say anything about committed relationships. More than that, though, it says: "I want to fuck your boyfriend." Not, "I fucked your boyfriend."

ETA: But even if it was "I fucked your boyfriend" ... who cares? I mean, this history of pop is filled with this stuff. People like fucking and they like pop culture about fucking.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The song doesn't say anything about committed relationships. More than that, though, it says: "I want to fuck your boyfriend." Not, "I fucked your boyfriend."

ETA: But even if it was "I fucked your boyfriend" ... who cares? I mean, this history of pop is filled with this stuff. People like fucking and they like pop culture about fucking.
    "Boyfriend" doesn't imply a committed relationship? Really?

Eh, she's been a vocal proponent of other "cancel culture" causes, of which the entire point is to act like a flash mob / witch hunt and destroy people for mistakes they made when they were younger and dumber.

She shouldn't be exempt.

Sorry, I have zero sympathy for the ultra rich and celebrities with all that is currently going on, and zero changes on the horizon.
    So cancel culture is bad except when someone who says cancel culture is good gets cancelled themselves. Got it. To cancel Ariana Grande for this song would be like cancelling Kim Cattrall because she portrayed Samantha Jones in Sex and the City.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 02-10-2021 at 06:07 PM.

- - - - -
    "Boyfriend" doesn't imply a committed relationship? Really?
    Dude this is a pop song, not middle school.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    So cancel culture is bad except when someone who says cancel culture is good gets cancelled themselves. Got it. To cancel Ariana Grande for this song would be like cancelling Kim Cattrall because she portrayed Samantha Jones in Sex and the City.
    That's not what I said at all. My entire point this whole time (Jesus christ why are we still talking about this) is that the song has a pretty gross message that I am surprised gets so much play considering today's sociopolitical climate.

Getting into the cancel culture stuff I'm simply reinforcing my point that she is a pretty garbage person, because she has been a supporter of cancel culture yet has also behaved in yucky ways herself. It's hypocritical. That's all.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Dude this is a pop song, not middle school.
    I don't even know what you are arguing.

why are we still talking about this
    I'm fine to drop it. I'm a fan, and you're not. Thus we find ourselves at an impasse.