Page 1837 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 837133717371787182718351836183718381839184718871937 ... LastLast
Results 45,901 to 45,925 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I've been using these for a while. For some reason people get super confused by them when I offer one up for use. They don't register the cap as a pull-off rather than a clicker or a twist. But I like how it feels in my hand and even like how the tip makes my messy handwriting messier sometimes.

last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    These have been my go-to boys for a while, although I have to warn you all: they start leaking if you take them on planes. I think it has something to do with the air pressure, maybe, but what's for sure is it happens every goddamn time.
    I use the red version of these for editing stories. I can confirm that if they sit too long they start to leak. There is a faulty part somewhere in their design. Great pen for a finer tip choice.

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    I found an example of led's handwriting

[]
    It's actually worse than that:

[]

Try having to write legibly on a whiteboard every day. My handwriting is bad enough on paper, but that's another level.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Try having to write legibly on a whiteboard every day. My handwriting is bad enough on paper, but that's another level.
    Fortunately, I'm the only one who has to read my notes. At least provided I don't get sued for libel.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    And here I am...resting on my laurels or rehabing my house. I thought what I did was was impressive.....This guy, doesn't use a single power tool.

Well isn't that awesome.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I wish they said how long it took.

Dip your pen in a tub of ink fellas. Live like Dickens.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    It's actually worse than that:

[]
    I hate the design of whatever table that pad of paper is sitting on. It looks like a faded histology slide.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Spike TV is ending, being absorbed by Paramount. The twitter for Spike TV (@spike) is controlled by a soon to be ex employee. I encourage everyone to check out the hilarity.
    Its funny, even if it is marketing.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Trying to inject this place with some wholesome discussion!

Fuck you and your stupid opinions.
    0.5 pencil led forever! I used to hand write movie reviews in pencil during classes in college.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

- - - - -
    I'm not sure the Spike twitter thing counts as marketing when

- The name of the product isn't mentioned
    - It's unclear that it's marketing
    - The message leans dark ("I gave my entire staff empty gift cards as parting gifts because fuck them and their joy")

You might do those things if you were launching a new, acerbic, youth-oriented brand and wanted a lot of attention. But that doesn't quite seem like something called "Paramount Networks" would be interested in, either.

Eh, probably. I am not sure I fully care, since Spike was some crappy network.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

- - - - -
    Wasn't responding to you specifically---but thanks for letting me know you don't care.

Yeah I know the old adage "any press is good press" but I don't see it here. Like, people are gonna read these supposed meltdown tweets and say "wow, I gotta check out Paramount TV!"?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    For reasons I can't explain, I love watching Bar Rescue on Sundays on Spike. So I hope that continues on the new channel.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I wish they said how long it took.
    On his channel, he started the project in June.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah I know the old adage "any press is good press" but I don't see it here.
    For what it's worth, nobody who works in marketing would ever say this.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    For what it's worth, nobody who works in marketing would ever say this.
    Where did I get that saying then? Is it just an outdated marketing saying?

Where did I get that saying then? Is it just an outdated marketing saying?
    Dunno, but yeah, I'm speaking contemporary. Bad press rings alarms and initiates crisis sessions. We have social media gag orders and stuff now because companies are scared to death of a twitter dragging.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So is this Spike fake meltdown thing a good marketing ploy or a bad idea? Or neither?

Ummm I'm too busy believing that Tom Hardy can do anything https://tootall.bandcamp.com/album/f...r-arse-in-1999
    Movie Theater Diary

I'd imagine "no such thing as bad press" is premised on the idea that exposure is exposure and repetition of your name/brand/product guarantees you a place in the public's mind. This is probably more true for smaller operations/brands/people than it is for massive corporate entities, and might possibly have been more true for the era before our present social media age (not sure about that one). If you're a D-list actor or celebrity who has an embarrassing drunk and disorderly video that makes Entertainment Tonight and the National Enquirer, people will have a reason to hear about you when otherwise they wouldn't. So the next time you have a TV show or something, people will be like "Oh, hey, I know that name." Or something like that. There are probably better examples.

Clearly not all press is good press, though. See Papa John's for a recent example. Or Louis CK. Bad press can be brand-ruining or career-ending. I'd imagine in this era of #branding and proliferating instant social media reactions, established brands are scared to let a toe slip over the bad PR line.

On the other hand, Logan Paul wasn't anywhere near my orbit three weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I'd never heard the name. I understand he had a net gain in subscribers from the widely reported news story, even though it was about what a schmuck he is. That bad press was good press in the long run, I'm sure.

Anyway, was expecting something way more salacious in that Spike TV Twitter thing and a lot of it recalls the image of Spike a lot of people (like me) have in their minds anyway, which makes me suspect that it might be a stunt. It's not like the "disgruntled employee" is naming names or outing abusers or something. The worst behavior they describe is the pretty fucking awful move of giving subordinates empty gift cards, but that's something the "disgruntled employee" is taking credit for themselves. It's bluster one way or the other and whether it's Spike/Paramount trying to make their next media venture look appealing (saying "fuck you" to your boss is an exciting, sexy trait in the market Spike courted) or an actual employee hoping for a bridge to their next gig when they take credit for the aggressive attitude in this stunt, it reads like a stunt to me.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I hate the design of whatever table that pad of paper is sitting on. It looks like a faded histology slide.
    Me too, and unfortunately it is the countertop at my apartment.

- - - - -
    "No such thing as bad press" is a publicist thing. Publicity is different from marketing.

The saying also originated in a era when no reputable paper would print that FDR was in a wheelchair, that JFK routinely had extramarital affairs, that Liberace was gay, and that Robert Mitchum smoked a helluva lot of dope.

So that time is obviously past.