Page 1983 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 9831483188319331973198119821983198419851993 ... LastLast
Results 49,551 to 49,575 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Really? I figured you for a more "murder their spouse" kinda guy.
    No no you've got me all wrong. Easily bite off an opponent's ear, followed by develop a gambling addiction, followed by star in a Broadway adaptation of Space Jam called Space Jam: Rise of the Biles, in which Simone doesn't show up to opening night.

Really? I figured you for a more "murder their spouse" kinda guy.
    If you only knew my spouse :rim shot:

Biles standing up for her mental health and how it would've impacted both her own physical health and team America's hopes to medal is admirable IMO. However, I would personally be much more worried about being in synchronized swimming and popping a woody.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Huh. That got me thinking. There isn’t men’s synchro in the Olympics, correct? Swimming finally added women’s 1500 and men’s 800, righting a sexist wrong imo. Are there other Olympic sports that are gender biased?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Huh. That got me thinking. There isn’t men’s synchro in the Olympics, correct? Swimming finally added women’s 1500 and men’s 800, righting a sexist wrong imo. Are there other Olympic sports that are gender biased?
    Oops. Diving, not swimming. They're basically the same thing.

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Are there other Olympic sports that are gender biased?
    To answer my own question, Tokyo is the most gender-equal Olympics in history, but there are still some gender-specific sports:

Women only: synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, and the balance beam event in artistic gymnastics.

Men only: Greco-Roman Wrestling (never heard of it), One Person Dinghy -- Finn (never heard of it), 50km Race-Walking (never heard of it, must watch immediately), and the pommel horse event in artistic gymnastics.

EDIT: Great 100m free gold-medal swim from Caeleb Dressel. His start is unreal, and he put his head down and didn't breathe for at least the last 15m. I got a little choked up during his emotional interview.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 07-29-2021 at 04:45 AM.

Sometimes I wonder if people these days just have too many opinions. Like, they have to have a stance on everything. There is something a little liberating about not giving a shit about the latest Twitter-generated controversy. I mean, let people who are involved or who care about it deeply discuss it as much as they want. I'm not arguing that certain things shouldn't be debated. I guess what I'm arguing is that, reading up on something for 20 minutes does not make you an expert.

Edit: just to be clear, this was not directed at anyone arguing about Simone Biles. It was more a mantra for myself - I was going to weigh in, and then I realized (a) I had never even heard of Simone Biles before yesterday, and (b) what the fuck do I know about it?
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 07-29-2021 at 04:13 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I have no problem with what Biles did. Good for her.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Totally agree trans.

Ours not to reason why, but to do or die.

No idea why I thought of that quote, but I do.
    Last edited by Skitch; 07-29-2021 at 09:04 AM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    There is something a little liberating about not giving a shit about the latest Twitter-generated controversy.
    You're always eager with an opinion about Star Wars or Marvel but this right here is a bridge too far, right?

But essentially what's the diff?

ETA: And what I mean is, it's extremely hard to walk up and be all, "Why do I need to care? Why does anyone care about this?" when you have hard and fast opinions about Christopher Nolan, or could be easily goaded into dropping a ranked list of your personal top 5 Kayne tracks.

None of us are too cool for school. Don't even try that shit, lol.

(Speaking of myself here, too, obviously)
    Last edited by Irish; 07-29-2021 at 01:16 PM.

You're always eager with an opinion about Star Wars or Marvel but this right here is a bridge too far, right?

But essentially what's the diff?

ETA: And what I mean is, it's extremely hard to walk up and be all, "Why do I need to care? Why does anyone care about this?" when you have hard and fast opinions about Christopher Nolan, or could be easily goaded into dropping a ranked list of your personal top 5 Kayne tracks.

None of us are too cool for school. Don't even try that shit, lol.

(Speaking of myself here, too, obviously)
    I expressly said "I mean, let people who are involved or who care about it deeply discuss it as much as they want. I'm not arguing that certain things shouldn't be debated" so I'm not sure where you are getting your "Why does anyone care about this?" reading from that. If anything, the question is more simple: "Why do I care about this?" People need to consider THAT question more often.

Anyway, I have strong opinions about Marvel and Star Wars because I've seen most of them and the latter were a major part of my childhood .... but you will notice that I am not in the Loki, Madalorian, WandaVision threads giving opinions about those because I haven't seen them and have no intention to. With that kind of stuff, it is easy to know where your opinion has worth or not. What is harder to is when some real-life event happens that people are talking about heatedly, and the only reason I feel compelled to give my opinion is because other people are giving their opinion. So I give it, not really knowing enough of the specifics beyond those superficial facts that support my already established worldview, and then argue with others about something I have no stake in and actually no knowledge about 1 day ago. What I am saying is that there are too many people online like that who absolutely have to have a take on everything, when really, you absolutely do not.

My post was actually a response to shit like this.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 07-29-2021 at 10:38 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    I expressly said "I mean, let people who are involved or who care about it deeply discuss it as much as they want. I'm not arguing that certain things shouldn't be debated" so I'm not sure where you are getting your "Why does anyone care about this?" reading from that. If anything, the question is more simple: "Why do I care about this?" People need to consider THAT question more often.
    You essentially posted tell us you didn't need to post ... but if that were really true, you would have simply not posted. I sorta enjoyed the contradiction.

What I am saying is that there are too many people online like that who absolutely have to have a take on everything, when really, you absolutely do not.

My post was actually a response to shit like this.
    The controversy surrounding Biles touches on a half dozen social and political problems in the United States. If you're an American, you're not gonna ask yourself why you care about it, or why it's important, because you already know. The issue is bigger than your workaday "twitter controversy." I mean, it involves the Olympics, ffs.

My other point about the Star Wars/Marvel/Nolan thing was that everybody has their own little obsessions and bugbears. You have yours. I have mine. Either one of us lecturing the other seems a little shortsighted.

You essentially posted tell us you didn't need to post ... but if that were really true, you would have simply not posted. I sorta enjoyed the contradiction.
    This was my original post:

Sometimes I wonder if people these days just have too many opinions. Like, they have to have a stance on everything. There is something a little liberating about not giving a shit about the latest Twitter-generated controversy. I mean, let people who are involved or who care about it deeply discuss it as much as they want. I'm not arguing that certain things shouldn't be debated. I guess what I'm arguing is that, reading up on something for 20 minutes does not make you an expert.
    Edit: just to be clear, this was not directed at anyone arguing about Simone Biles. It was more a mantra for myself - I was going to weigh in, and then I realized (a) I had never even heard of Simone Biles before yesterday, and (b) what the fuck do I know about it?

It was a musing about the generalized pile-on culture that we see these days. I added the edit to illustrate how I came to ponder that and to forestall concerns that I was specifically calling out anyone's opinions in the discussion above it, which I wasn't. But it seems you don't want to take me on my word (and the fact that you keep referring back to movie discussions on a movie forum indicates to me you have missed the point entirely), so fair enough.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I just watched some track and field and man could the one Jamaican lady run fast. I always enjoy watching track and field every Olympics.

Also come on Irish and trans just make up and hug it out already. The Olympics are on. The Olympics!
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

- - - - -
    It was a musing about the generalized pile-on culture that we see these days. I added the edit to illustrate how I came to ponder that and to forestall concerns that I was specifically calling out anyone's opinions in the discussion above it, which I wasn't. But it seems you don't want to take me on my word (and the fact that you keep referring back to movie discussions on a movie forum indicates to me you have missed the point entirely), so fair enough.
    I used movies as an analogy because I thought that would be the most relatable. (And you must realize that most people -- the majority who see 6 movies a year tops at the theater -- do not care about the gossip, or news, and hype the way we do.)

Otherwise, yeah, I got your meaning just fine. I didn't understand the passive aggressive finger wagging, and I still don't.

Turns out your pet peeve and the way you expressed it is a pet peeve of mine. Who knew?

When will the IOC stop being cowards and allow the beer run to be an Olympic event?

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    When will the IOC stop being cowards and allow the beer run to be an Olympic event?
    One day. One day.

I was reminded yesterday that even though I'm still watching the Olympics I hit that burned out on them point earlier this week. I'll admit my attention span is limited. Still track and field is really cool and of course it was only mostly featured this week.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I have been rediscovering my love for the first 30 Seconds to Mars album.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I need to pick up there last one or maybe two. This Is War is a terrific album.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh hey. the Olympics are over and I didn't watch a GD second of it.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah. Tokyo timing makes it near to impossible in the first place and then NBC completely dropped the ball in its own scheduling. Missed pretty much everything.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Voltage!!!
    Just spent $250 on vinyl records. I only regret that I didn't buy a few more.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    Just spent $250 on vinyl records. I only regret that I didn't buy a few more.
    So proud.

With the basement finished, I’ve been rocking out in the basement with the vinyl. In-A-Gadda-Davida is played ALOT.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    So proud.

With the basement finished, I’ve been rocking out in the basement with the vinyl. In-A-Gadda-Davida is played ALOT.
    "Wait a minute... this sounds like rock and/or roll!":

Rock and or roll. A line that I use in life many a times, nobody has picked up where it came from, but I chuckle away anyway.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think of Manhunter first but yeah the Simpsons bit is good, too.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own