Page 1718 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 718121816181668170817161717171817191720172817681818 ... LastLast
Results 42,926 to 42,950 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Here is a larger version of the chart.

Hmmm. I guess it's hard to say since it's not a perfect recreation by whoever made this chart, but if I were to pick an artist to represent Batman, I'd go with Aparo or Neal Adams instead of John Byrne, and of those two it looks more Aparo.

Maybe it is supposed to be generic.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Batman Donald Duck is cracking me up.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Here is a larger version of the chart.

Hmmm. I guess it's hard to say since it's not a perfect recreation by whoever made this chart, but if I were to pick an artist to represent Batman, I'd go with Aparo or Neal Adams instead of John Byrne, and of those two it looks more Aparo.

Maybe it is supposed to be generic.
    Neal Adams.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Is the Donald the Duck artist supposed to be Don Rosa?

Is the Donald the Duck artist supposed to be Don Rosa?
    I thought it was Carl Barks at first, but that Donald does look a lot more like Rosa's.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

How about some good news? In Seattle, there is an organization called Real Change. One of their main ways of helping the homeless/poor is by printing a weekly news paper that a vendor can buy for sixty cents, and sell for two dollars - the vendors keep the profits.

Anyhow, on our way to work we always see the same vendor, a really nice woman who is always friendly and smiling. Yesterday she was especially happy. When I went up to her to buy my paper, she flipped her papers over to show me a sign that said that December 21st would be her last day selling Real Change. She then told us that she had gotten into a small, local culinary school run by a non-profit, and would soon have a good job at a nice restaurant somewhere in Seattle.

I've never seen someone happier. She gave us a big hug and a high five.

So freaking happy for her.

How about some good news? In Seattle, there is an organization called Real Change. One of their main ways of helping the homeless/poor is by printing a weekly news paper that a vendor can buy for sixty cents, and sell for two dollars - the vendors keep the profits.
    That's been done in Buenos Aires for quite some time by a similar organization. Always wondered where the idea came from originally.

But yeah, good for the lady!

My sister's house is only four blocks from mine and we live in a safe neighborhood by Baltimore standards. I walk those four blocks so often that I feel like I own them; like they are just an outside hallway between my house and my sister's.

Anyway, walking over this evening after dark (but not late; around 7 p.m.) I had a bit of a scare. I was walking a few feet behind a woman and hadn't given her a single thought when she turned around and SPAT at me. It was a big, far-flung spit, very aggressive, though it didn't hit me. I was so shocked that I didn't even think she was aiming at me until she started screaming and cursing at me. She accused me of following her. I said, "I'm not following you. I'm walking to my sister's house." She kept ranting and cussing as she crossed the street ("YOU FUCKING BITCH I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL FUCK YOU UP IF YOU KEEP FOLLOWING ME") but at this point she is the one following me and I'm pretending to ignore her but actually pretty scared.

I'm only a block from my sister's, and when she knows I'm coming my sister will unbolt the door so I can just come in, even though I have a key. I walked in the house while this woman was stull screaming at the top of her lungs and used my key to bolt the door behind me.

No harm done, but I am still surprisingly frightened. I usually feel so safe here that I'm not on guard like I am in the rest of the city. I'm actually anxious about walking home.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It probably goes without saying but I was not being shady in any way. I was walking at a normal pace on a quiet, well-lit residential street wearing a light-colored sweater.

Given her demeanor and the way she was talking, I would guess she was completely tripping, or possibly having some sort of mental episode. This was not normal behavior of a person who is just frightened.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    It probably goes without saying but I was not being shady in any way.
    Sure you weren't.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Sure you weren't.
    Ha... I spent awhile mentally processing that this woman did not have a rational reason to attack me. When my sister got back (I was watching the kiddos for awhile) she listened to me and then pointed out that where the woman had started screaming was half a block from where I had turned a corner... so although I was behind her, I could not have been "following" her for more than a couple dozen feet. She was just bonkers.

I am home safe now. On the way back I walked past a few people who did not seem frightened of me and did not frighten me in return. Normalcy has returned.
    ...and the milk's in me.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Post-breakup, I've quickly learned that nearly all breakup songs are about either languishing in misery or feeling righteous indignation. I've not yet heard a song that is about moving on positively from someone you didn't hate. Not that I would expect people's strongest music-inspiring emotions to come out of that sort of nuanced circumstance.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Post-breakup, I've quickly learned that nearly all breakup songs are about either languishing in misery or feeling righteous indignation. I've not yet heard a song that is about moving on positively from someone you didn't hate. Not that I would expect people's strongest music-inspiring emotions to come out of that sort of nuanced circumstance.

Just shake it off, DaMU. Shake it off.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ever have one of those days (or weeks) where everything is perfect then all of a sudden your world is crumbling? Yeh I'm living that right now. (vague-booking I know)

Resided in an empty hotel in an empty downtown St. Louis was kinda weird.

Why is StL so empty of a downtown anyway? Freaks me out.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

So this is a long winded post that's honestly been brewing for some time now, and I know that I'm probably gonna come across sounding pretty whiny and pathetic, first world problems and all that shit, but this is just an idea of some of the real stupid stresses that the internet has been creating for me as of late, and I just feel like I need to get it out there somehow, get it off my chest, no matter how utterly vulnerable I feel in the process, you know?

[
    ]

- - - - -
    Wow. That's a helluva post, TGM.

I've learned that social media is an outrage machine. It's Orwell's two minutes hate in bit form. If you don't have perspective on it, it will fuck with your head. Badly.

Facebook and twitter counts are bullshit. Both systems can be easily gamed (either legitimately or illegitimately). Don't take likes, retweets, or followers as proof as anything. All of these things can be faked (that's not to say they always are).

These systems are gamified. They're designed to get you on a hamster wheel, craving a feedback loop. Sorta like MMOs and cheesy phone games. They are made to keep you in an endless scroll. Keep that in mind whenever you engage with them.

Facebook manipulates everyone's feed to an extreme degree. You can't be sure that the stuff you're posting is seen by your friends. FB does this so they can double dip on potential advertising (it's complicated). It is an awful platform for self promotion, but there are still ways to game it. If you're up to it, research how to do that.

Also: "Twitter is where personalities go to live and writers go to die."

[
    ]

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you about that one, TGM. I truly understand your situation. I guess I would suggest abandoning any of the areas that cause stress. As a parent of young kids, the internet is the majority of my adult interaction these days, but I still have to come up for air every now and then. It is a land of trolls and anonymous tough guys looking to get their jollies by pissing people off instead of having real conversations, so its very easy to get aggravated. Take a breath and do not interact with any negativity whatsoever. Don't reward trolls with what they crave.

Well, I had something minor to gripe about today, but TCM wins the day as far as I'm concerned. Wish I had some advice, man, but I'm not a fan of social media in general.

My gripe:

I've lived within walking distance of a coffee shop all of my adult life. Because of this, I got into the habit of making a stop at a coffee shop before going into work. Sitting on the bus and slurping my coffee as the world goes by is one of the small joys I eke from life.

My new building is nowhere near a coffee shop. The closest one is a bus ride away. But, there's a convenience store / gas station that serves Cameron's coffee and doughnuts right next to my bus stop, so I started going there. Cameron's is passable and their doughnuts are good.

Well, this gangly 20-year-old piece of shit started "joking" about how I would come in so frequently, but now it's become his only dialogue. To laugh at how I come in every day. As if that's some horrible thing. At first, it was irritating. Today it became angering.

His needle-tongued Minnesota Nice, "Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Probably not."

"Well, I'm sure I'll see you Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday ... next week."

No. No, you won't, you passive-aggressive little shit. In fact, you'll never see me again. This I vow. I will get caffeine headaches before I step into your establishment again.

I went through the same thing about 8 years ago, TCM.

And then I came to the best realization of my life: the internet doesn't matter. Facebook, Twitter, self-promoting on forums, hits, followers, and all that shit can go to hell. None of it made my life better, even when things were going good. All it did was add stress, grief, sadness and jealousy. It's all just marketing and publicity bullshit, and like Bill Hicks said, marketers can fuck off and die. It's the worst business in the world - treats people like wallets and bank accounts, makes people want things they don't need, and buy stuff they can't afford. The Internet has become the worlds biggest marketing and advertising cesspool, and I was part of it.

So I cut almost all of it out of my life, and I'm far, far, far better for it. There are conclusive studies showing that Facebook, Linkedin, and other forms of social media are actually very unhealthy. I actually think that, for the most part, the Internet is unhealthy in the way that many people use it as a substitute for real life. But that could just be my old age speaking.

But I'll tell you what - killing Facebook, Twitter, and all the other things I used to market my music was the best choice I've ever made. Never been happier with making music.

Life exists outside of the Internet. The Internet is a pretty terrible place. And I find that my happiness increases as I spend less time online.

Make your art, release it, and the people who really like it will find it. Make your art for you, and be proud of it. But as soon as you divorce yourself from the idea of making it online, you'll be much happier. I can almost guarantee it, because it happened to me.

Also, here's a harsh realization.

Artists aren't special.

There are millions of us, all creating and releasing amazing things, and there aren't enough people with enough time in the world to enjoy it all.

We're a dime a dozen, and the Internet has shown that. For every amazing ambient album I release, there are hundreds if not thousands of other artists creating and releasing amazing ambient albums.

There was a time before the Internet when it felt like artists were more special, or unique. But now? LOL!

When I finally realized that it was a huge relief. It was like a huge, heavy load was lifted from my shoulders.

D is right. Every time I got depressed playing yet another show to an empty house, I just reminded myself that Pantera played to empty venues for EIGHT YEARS before anyone paid attention to them.

Heh, so when I woke up today, I gotta say that the first thought that went through my head was "I didn't really, actually post that last night, did I?", and was sorta expecting the worst as such, whether that be for people to call me out on my whining and tell me to get over myself, or worse yet, to just ignore it altogether. But nah, you guys have actually given me quite a bit to mull over, and I do have to say that, getting that off my chest and getting it out there like that really has made this one of the first days in some time where I didn't feel the absolute need to indulge all my online obsessions right away.

@Irish - You know, I hadn't even considered just turning off comments. I think I actually might do just that, and just re-think the whole way I tackle this whole blogging thing. Try and go back to what I enjoyed about it in the first place. I do read a handful of other poster's blogs and such from here, but I don't believe I follow the ones you mentioned, so I'll check them out as well.

Also, your comment about leaving the phone behind, you know, perhaps it's time to invest in a good ol' fashion wristwatch again.

@Davis - I've really been considering going the rout you suggest, of cutting all marketing ties like that and such, which I already know will probably be extremely hard for me to do. In fact, it really was only after I made that monster of a post and I guess cleared all that stuff out of my head that I was really able to think back to when I even got started posting my stuff on facebook and the like in the first place. Back when I first started blogging was when I was still using Myspace and Livejournal, both of which were in and of themselves blogs. I just posted my stuff, and my friends and followers read it from there. It was only after those sorta vanished and I followed my friends onto facebook and twitter that I got started in all this mess, and I recall even back then feeling uneasy about it. But yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to cut it out entirely, but I do agree that I need to at least cut back on it, perhaps make it a gradual transition. But in any event, it really is helpful to hear that I'm not the only one who's felt this way. I honestly had no clue you've experienced the same thing with your own stuff.

So yeah, like I said, I guess clearing the air and getting that out there has kinda helped, at least for now, to just get my head on straight. I'm probably gonna take a step back and re-evaluate some things with this whole online situation and how I approach them, because this stupid ongoing stress just ain't working anymore. But I do definitely appreciate you guys taking the time to read all that and give me some ideas to think over.