Page 1956 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 9561456185619061946195419551956195719581966 ... LastLast
Results 48,876 to 48,900 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Mmmm...cheese curds...
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Dude, we're next door to the cheese capital of the United States. OF COURSE I have access to cheese curds. I just never thought to make poutine myself. You say cheap brown gravy is ideal, but I'm kind of a gravy fanatic. I'd want to make some myself. I loooooove gravy.
    I'm in Amish country. Theres half a dozen competing cheese factories in my county alone. There are cheese tasting rooms in some of the grocery stores around here. Its fantastic.

I'm gonna get me some slop brown gravy. Any other pointers?

Not really, no. Fresh cut fries are best.

Just don't let me find out you skimped out and used grated cheese.

I will hunt you down.

I will find you.

And I will kill you.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Not really, no. Fresh cut fries are best.

Just don't let me find out you skimped out and used grated cheese.

I will hunt you down.

I will find you.

And I will kill you.
    Thats what I'm saying. I've never put all the correct components together enough to call it real poutine. I'm honest, you see.

Don't know that I've ever ordered poutine. But in Arizona, there's a restaurant that has "Jewish Sliders" which is a burger with a latke and gravy. The down and dirty gravy being discussed here, and it's awesome.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    But in Arizona, there's a restaurant that has "Jewish Sliders" which is a burger with a latke and gravy.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I'm taking a break from Facebook with a few exceptions. I don't really miss it at all. Now Twitter I don't think I could go a day without spending time posting on or visiting.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Here's a new one...
    Customer came in with her son who is grown. They walk down the food aisle and he just throws multiple items on the floor. 2 jars of ruffles dip, which shatter. Chips. Chocolate bars. Some cookies.
    I approach and she says "he is autistic and has fits sometimes"
    She refuses to pay for any of the items he smashed.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

We may argue opinions a lot around here, but there's one undisputed FACT that can't be argued, no matter how much you try.

French Crullers are THE BEST type of doughnut. Oohhh, don't get me wrong. Jelly-filled and Boston Cremes are amazing. Your regular Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut is pretty damn fantastic. Hell, even cake doughnuts are delicious. But, the French Cruller stands above them all. Light, airy, flaky, and delicate. It's transcendent.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I had to look up what a French Cruller even was.

It reminds me of the Cronut which was a popular thing a few years ago.

I've kind of gotten away from the pastries for breakfast in the last few years, but would certainly be open to a Boston Creme if I came across one. Add coffee.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I kinda feel like an asshole chuckling at these winter weather reports from the south. Then I get over it and chuckle some more.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

We got some real deal winter weather right now. I love it. And we supposed to get 7-10" thursday. I'll believe it when I see it, but bring it on!

I believe we had 95 hours straight of below zero weather. -20F in the cities and worse up north. That’s without the windchill.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I kinda feel like an asshole chuckling at these winter weather reports from the south. Then I get over it and chuckle some more.
    As someone who now lives in the South, I'm more sympathetic. Atlanta hasn't had snow in 3 years. I think people would be fine if there was infrastructure to manage but why would any city down here budget for it? There is zero capacity to respond.

That said, we ain't getting nothing right now in Georgia. Just rain. It's disappointing cuz I'm working from home and it'd be the perfect time for it.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I feel like it's mind boggling an entire state (the largest in our country) can be that ill prepared for this.

It's like decades of zoning and building codes finally all coming to revelations where it's ... "hey, maybe we shouldn't put the water tank in the garage and water pipes in the attic"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Most of the people I work with are based out of Austin, and about half couldn't work today due to the rolling blackouts being very terribly executed across the city. Some have been without power since Saturday. Not fun when it's 10 degrees outside.

A guy I pinged this morning couldn't talk because his pipes were frozen and bursting. Now that, my friends, SUCKS.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    As someone who now lives in the South, I'm more sympathetic. Atlanta hasn't had snow in 3 years. I think people would be fine if there was infrastructure to manage but why would any city down here budget for it? There is zero capacity to respond.

That said, we ain't getting nothing right now in Georgia. Just rain. It's disappointing cuz I'm working from home and it'd be the perfect time for it.
    For Texas, its less about infrastructure and more about their power grid.... For an entire state that essentially relies on Air Condition 11 out of 12 months of the year... that's kinda sad.

There was a guy in one of my discords who's water froze over night, and people were trying to help him. He got asked the question "What heats your home, a furnace?" his response was "I turn up my thermostat"..

Triple yikes.

I would love to be in a state of zen where I don't need to know how my house functions because it just works.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Most of the people I work with are based out of Austin, and about half couldn't work today due to the rolling blackouts being very terribly executed across the city. Some have been without power since Saturday. Not fun when it's 10 degrees outside.

A guy I pinged this morning couldn't talk because his pipes were frozen and bursting. Now that, my friends, SUCKS.
    Yeh, i was really surprised someone joined one of my meetings from their phone today.

Another -20F night tonight, then it’ll slowly start warming up. Glad I upgraded my cold weather gear, although most of what I use during the week is my older stuff. Rather screw up my twenty year old heavy duty silks than my arctic wool base layers.

My Darn Tough Mountaineering socks are in heavy rotation.

Those ice storms are brutal, and I do feel bad for everyone down there. I’ve got portable supplemental heat sources, but really wish this house had a wood stove in it for backup.

Oh man. I was supporting stores in Missouri/Minnesota/Kansas that all dealt with exactly what's mentioned above, and little to no issues. Some heating spots where our store design teams just didn't consider the atmosphere, but we got past that.

I now support Texas and it was a catastrophe for something that's barely an inconvenience in those states and Colorado. It's almost amusing to hear that they declared a state of emergency, and everything's swimmingly in Colorado and the -9 degrees. Ice Melt literally does not exist there as we were sourcing it last week... Dock areas are all wet sprinkler systems instead of dry sprinkler systems. Wild.

I'll sympathize for the employees that are without power, but one was asking if warm food could be delivered to them because they were in a bad place. Unfortunately, I had to share that there's probably two million others in the same predicament.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I feel like it's mind boggling an entire state (the largest in our country) can be that ill prepared for this.
    Actually Alaska is the largest U.S. state.

Yeeeh but they don't count.

My water tank is in my garage. Well, it's actually in a Harry Potter-esque cubby in the corner of the garage and under the stairs that lead to the second floor. Hopefully that helps somewhat in getting "main house" warm air? I dunno. We hardly get any freeze or snow here in Charleston, and this winter I've kept the temp at about 62 in the house, so hopefully it'll be alright.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Yep, now I do feel like an asshole. Update from Houston:

We are fine but the area is collectively loosing their minds. A ton of people have died in the Houston area from Carbon Monoxide poisoning after trying to heat their houses by bringing their charcoal grills into their house or running generators inside the home. Scores more burned their house down and the firehydrants dont work because they are frozen. My in-laws house is 25 degrees and they are being forced to travel to where we are for heat. They already told the owner of the house they are renting from that the pipes WILL be bursting but they cannot stay there any longer. We have intermittent power but also have a generator with enough fuel. Many homes un this area will be damaged from burst pipes. It has never been this cold for so long.

Damn. I remember about 15 years ago we had an ice storm that knocked out power for most of the county for weeks. I had friends staying at my apartment because my heater was...whats the word...it was gas and didn't require electric to run. A wall unit. Crazy time. We got a lot of books read and Magic: The Gathering played those couple weeks.