Page 1974 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 9741474187419241964197219731974197519761984 ... LastLast
Results 49,326 to 49,350 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    You can't possibly be disappointed when compared to DSLRs. To beat even the entry level mirrorless camera in day to day usage you really have to dig deep into your pockets and get some serious kit. Unless you need a heightened level of professional usability that the higher end DSLRs offer, it makes no sense to take the budget DSLR route today. Anyway, more than ever, the lenses really make or break your setup. For example, I have three lenses, and two of those have (excellent) stabilization so it wasn't a requirement in-body for me. Olympus has made it part of their business model to lead the field in the area. May it serve you well.
    To image stabilization! I can't believe that I had no idea how far the mirrorless technology has come.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Today an established local radio personality messaged me to ask if I think he should start a podcast (because I have a podcast). YES! I don't know the guy at all, or know what pod he wants to start, but go for it. Don't waste time trying to decide what it should be, just hit record and let it become what it is. The most important thing is that its something YOU are interested in. Theres an audience for every single crazy topic, the most important thing is that YOU are passionate about it.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Today an established local radio personality messaged me to ask if I think he should start a podcast (because I have a podcast). YES! I don't know the guy at all, or know what pod he wants to start, but go for it. Don't waste time trying to decide what it should be, just hit record and let it become what it is. The most important thing is that its something YOU are interested in. Theres an audience for every single crazy topic, the most important thing is that YOU are passionate about it.
    Sure, but isn't that what everyone is thinking? I mean, everyone has a unique experience that'd be interesting to heat. But, if too many flood the market with not great podcasts then it makes it harder for the audience to sift the wheat from the chaff.

The Last Duel - ***

- - - - -
    Have a friend who wants to start a newsletter. He sent me samples and asked for advice. I pretty much told him the same thing --- just start, publish, learn as you go. Being online that way is like hanging your bare ass out a window. Just do it and don't hesitate.

Re: Podcasts. The market is already flooded and there's way more chaff than wheat. Who cares? If you really want to express something, better to jump in.

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Sure, but isn't that what everyone is thinking? I mean, everyone has a unique experience that'd be interesting to heat. But, if too many flood the market with not great podcasts then it makes it harder for the audience to sift the wheat from the chaff.
    Perhaps, but its a (mostly) free form of expression/art. It's like someone saying they want to try to paint but they're not sure what to paint. Would you tell them to not try because they'll flood the market with crap? Of course not...TRY! Go for it. The cream will always rise to the top.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Perhaps, but its a (mostly) free form of expression/art. It's like someone saying they want to try to paint but they're not sure what to paint. Would you tell them to not try because they'll flood the market with crap? Of course not...TRY! Go for it. The cream will always rise to the top.
    Psh. I actively discourage my oldest child from painting. Derivative trash.

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Psh. I actively discourage my oldest child from painting. Derivative trash.
    Bummer. My kids draw things that will haunt my nightmares for the rest of my life.

On this day in 1943, my home town of Podgorica, Montenegro, was completely destroyed. Over 100 B-24 bombers of the US Air Force dropped 260 tons of bombs in a single day. There were four (4) German casualties, about 100 from the ranks of collaborator troops, and 400 civilians (800 total during the whole campaign) out of the population of 10,400 from before WWII. The US killed more people overall than the Axis forces of Italy and Germany combined.

Yeah but you probably got all them freedumbs now

We are freedumb as fuck.

We are freedumb as fuck.
    Are we going to have a freedumb off?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Well played. Well played indeed.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Pork butt and brisket were put on the smoker at 0500 (hour and a half ago). South Dakota rules are in place, which means I’ve already cracked a beer with my favorite cop.

Spent most the day fishing with my younger brother and his son (my godson). Fishing was quite good today, at that secret location north of Albert Lea.

On this day in 1943, my home town of Podgorica, Montenegro, was completely destroyed. Over 100 B-24 bombers of the US Air Force dropped 260 tons of bombs in a single day. There were four (4) German casualties, about 100 from the ranks of collaborator troops, and 400 civilians (800 total during the whole campaign) out of the population of 10,400 from before WWII. The US killed more people overall than the Axis forces of Italy and Germany combined.
    That is really bizarre. That's like a backwater part of the war. There must have been some insane reason for it, like the US had all these bombers in the area but were trying to get Italy on their side so didn't want to bomb them and just found someone nearby. I'm sorry it had to be you.

Edit: So, the allies didn't land in Sicily until July of '43 - where would these airplanes have been based from?

Wiki says: "The bombing of Podgorica in World War II was carried out by the Allies from 1943 until 1944 at the request of the Yugoslav Partisans."

But Yugoslavia was this artificially constructed nation no? With lots of hatred between different people within?
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 05-16-2021 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    But Yugoslavia was this artificially constructed nation no? With lots of hatred between different people within?
    Not really. It didn't resolve the historic grudges and differences within the region, but it was mostly fine for almost 50 years, until Tito died and the communist rule started to fail, giving way to old ambitions, grudges and myths. At the beginning of WWII there were several pro-Axis movements that tried to take advantage of the occupation but by 1943 the communist Partisan resistance had ended up as the only true force fighting the invaders, and they fought both the Axis troops and the "domestic traitors", unifying the front and receiving help from the Allies. The recent revisionism of the region's antifascist fight is a whole new can of worms...

It's weird that the initial syllables in woman (woh-) and women (wih-) are pronounced differently despite being the same letters. It's weird that the second syllable dictates how the first is pronounced.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Also, if the whole UFO stuff going around is any indication that we might genuinely see some kind of Contact "soon," I'm more apt to believe they are gonna think us too barbaric to live and just dust the planet to allow it to restart. And I honestly couldn't blame them if they take that view.

Although, I've not seen anyone plainly and rationally break down all that recent report stuff and what it all "really" means.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Just keep in mind that UFO stands for UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object, and doesn't necessarily mean it's aliens or alien spacecrafts. Given the size of the universe, the likelihood of it being aliens is possible, but not very likely.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Just keep in mind that UFO stands for UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object, and doesn't necessarily mean it's aliens or alien spacecrafts. Given the size of the universe, the likelihood of it being aliens is possible, but not very likely.
    Stop crushing my dreams, please.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I’m guessing Aliens lock their doors when they fly past Earth.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Just keep in mind that UFO stands for UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object.
    Oh I know. That's probably in part why they changed it to UAP recently. To get away from the "IT'S ALIENS!" reaction. But given some of the reports, I dunno how any country on Earth could produce machinery or vehicles that could do what some people are claiming these things have been seen doing. That would be a gigantic, nigh impossible-to-keep secret.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Although, I've not seen anyone plainly and rationally break down all that recent report stuff and what it all "really" means.
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ke-theyre-ufos

I stumbled upon this site a while back, and it's the best synthesis of this info I've been able to find thus far. The War Zone has been covering this stuff for a long time now and this article, from April, pulls a lot of threads together, like a massive extract of all the reporting they've done and theories they've developed to explain the possible significance and ramifications of what we've been seeing.

Two of the key points to take away, I think:
    1. There is an endemic cultural problem surrounding "UFOs" that actively hampers investigation and work in this field and has left the USA vulnerable to short-range ballistic and drone-based attacks.
    2. The evidence of the physics-defying UAPs is not visually observed but rather recorded via other detection systems like radar; as such, the simplest explanation is not unknown and groundbreaking advances in aerial technology (or aliens) but rather these same radar systems succumbing to electronic warfare (this technology is real and not at all "advanced" so to speak and the USA has its own systems for doing this)
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ke-theyre-ufos

I stumbled upon this site a while back, and it's the best synthesis of this info I've been able to find thus far. The War Zone has been covering this stuff for a long time now and this article, from April, pulls a lot of threads together, like a massive extract of all the reporting they've done and theories they've developed to explain the possible significance and ramifications of what we've been seeing.

Two of the key points to take away, I think:
    1. There is an endemic cultural problem surrounding "UFOs" that actively hampers investigation and work in this field and has left the USA vulnerable to short-range ballistic and drone-based attacks.
    2. The evidence of the physics-defying UAPs is not visually observed but rather recorded via other detection systems like radar; as such, the simplest explanation is not unknown and groundbreaking advances in aerial technology (or aliens) but rather these same radar systems succumbing to electronic warfare (this technology is real and not at all "advanced" so to speak and the USA has its own systems for doing this)
    Number 2 here is inaccurate based on the 60 minutes report that aired two days ago. There's photos of these things inside the cockpit of fighter jets. 4:39 in the video below.

And I'm not sure why that would even matter if they can catch these things on infrared and radar. That's pretty telling there's something physically there.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?