Page 1842 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 842134217421792183218401841184218431844185218921942 ... LastLast
Results 46,026 to 46,050 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I use Twitter mostly for horror movie talk. Politics are a close second, although some days adorable pet stuff overtakes everything else.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I've been really enjoying Dear Prudence since Mallory Ortberg took it over, and lately it feels really cathartic. Too often on the internet you just hear angering perspectives and left to stew with it. It's nice to have them be stated in the form of questions and then get put down by an authoritative response that I like.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't listen to the Judge John Hodgman podcast very often but I definitely remember the episode with this guy's argument. This is so sad: http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/e...198675289.html

In late January two years ago, teenager Carl Garner Jr. was featured on a national comedy podcast for an essay he wrote about whether a hotdog was a sandwich. Afterward, he was honored by local school district officials for that work.

The attention brought Garner, a normally quiet student at Lexington Day Treatment Center, pride and confidence, said Eric Little, his teacher at the time.

On Sunday night, Garner, 19, became Lexington’s second homicide victim of 2018. He was found shot inside a south Lexington home.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    One of the truly terrible advancements of the modern age is online job postings.

(1) Please fill out all these dialog boxes with your address, previous jobs, education, software experience.

You did that? Oh, great.

(2) Please upload a resume with the exact same fucking information.

Boy, this is a really bleak interview. I've felt a lot of this myself, but this interview is truly putting it into cataclysmic words: http://splitsider.com/2018/02/how-fa...illing-comedy/

We’re used to a world where if you put something out there that’s good, people see it and share it. But that’s just not true in this world. Someone can make something really good, and just because of some weird algorithmic reasons, or if it’s not designed specifically for Facebook, it doesn’t do well. And then it becomes impossible to know what a good thing to make is anymore.

Facebook is an absolutely fine repository for the names of people I’ve met in my life, and for photos I have of those people, and it would be a nice memorial to my life when I’m dead. But it has no business being a publisher, and they don’t even like to acknowledge that that’s what they are. Facebook hides behind all of this machinery, when what they’re doing is very human. Recommending things for people is a personal act, and there are people who are good at it. There are critics. There are blogs. It’s not beneficial to us to turn content recommendations over to an algorithm, especially one that’s been optimized for garbage.
    What do you want to come from what happened at Funny or Die?

The next time some cool place cuts back or shuts down, I want people to not blame that place, I want them to blame what’s going on. I want people to think about what people are doing online in the same way that you think about what you buy at the grocery store or what shop you go to.

Is any comedy outlet doing well? For example, is The Onion in danger?

I would gladly give money to anyone who could tell me of any digital publisher that is doing well other than Facebook. And woe to those who want to start something new right now.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't listen to the Judge John Hodgman podcast very often but I definitely remember the episode with this guy's argument. This is so sad: http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/e...198675289.html
    Bloody awful. Shootings happen so often in this country it becomes easy to be numb to when they do occur.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    One of the truly terrible advancements of the modern age is online job postings.

(1) Please fill out all these dialog boxes with your address, previous jobs, education, software experience.

You did that? Oh, great.

(2) Please upload a resume with the exact same fucking information.
    This is also usually followed up with going to an interview where you have to fill out paperwork by hand that reiterates this information again.

Then when you are interviewed it’s by someone who hasn’t read any of it and just knows your name (maybe) ad will ask you to then verbally state everything you have now given them 3 times.

Then you won’t get the job because it requires 35 years of on-job experience, even though that particular job has only existed for 3 months.

And the job will go to the son of the building manager. Who really always had the job, but they are legally required to show that they went through an interview process.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This is also usually followed up with going to an interview where you have to fill out paperwork by hand that reiterates this information again.

Then when you are interviewed it’s by someone who hasn’t read any of it and just knows your name (maybe) ad will ask you to then verbally state everything you have now given them 3 times.

Then you won’t get the job because it requires 35 years of on-job experience, even though that particular job has only existed for 3 months.

And the job will go to the son of the building manager. Who really always had the job, but they are legally required to show that they went through an interview process.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to megladon8 again.

Sometimes I just really fucking hate Air BnB. Is there ZERO regulation of the accuracy of listings? How can something listed as being 2 bedrooms/2 beds with a sofa sleeper turn into, after booking, 1 bedroom/1 bed without a sofa sleeper and instead an air mattress? To say nothing of 60+ reviews with 5 stars and nobody mentions this discrepancy. WTF people?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'd be so irate.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I am WAY hotter as a chick.

I dunno. I’d hit it either way.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I dunno. I’d hit it either way.
    That's a true friend.

Posts like that are why I came back, heh.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Sometimes I just really fucking hate Air BnB. Is there ZERO regulation of the accuracy of listings? How can something listed as being 2 bedrooms/2 beds with a sofa sleeper turn into, after booking, 1 bedroom/1 bed without a sofa sleeper and instead an air mattress? To say nothing of 60+ reviews with 5 stars and nobody mentions this discrepancy. WTF people?
    I haven't had bad luck yet, :crosses fingers:, but I stick with the "verified" or whatever their term is, for places only.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I always look through all the pictures and detailed listings of everything. If it's not complete and absolutely transparent - next listing, please.
    Granted, I've used it only three times so far (Budapest, Berlin and Krakow) and every time it was amazing.

Yeah, in my very limited experience you can usually tell if the host is not telling the full story because of the pictures or lack thereof.

I think I’m developing a huge crush on Sarah Silverman.

She's beautiful and sexy but I don't find her material all that funny.

I recently discovered Norm McDonald and I can't stop watching him. My favorite stand up of all time now.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)

I recently discovered Norm McDonald and I can't stop watching him. My favorite stand up of all time now.
    I liked him for his voice acting as a kid and now I love him for his comedy as an adult.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I mean, look at this. That really shouldn't be funny. It's a tired concept (the "have you ever noticed this shit at restaurants" set-up), and the punchline is just sex stuff out of context. But his delivery is so unique he makes it hilarious. And he clearly knows it. He loves to play the idiot.

And the first part of this is just beautiful. He makes a completely serious statement with his face and he makes his co-host laugh at the randomness of it, then puts him on the tight spot for laughing. Everything in this video is so awesome.

I hate game shows for the most part. That being said, I've discovered by random a British show called 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown. Apparently it's been on forever. It makes me laugh so hard that all my stomach muscles are sore. Has anyone else seen this? Please check it out on youtube.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I hate game shows for the most part. That being said, I've discovered by random a British show called 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown. Apparently it's been on forever. It makes me laugh so hard that all my stomach muscles are sore. Has anyone else seen this? Please check it out on youtube.
    You should watch Taskmaster.

Norm McDonald is the greatest comedian of all time.

I mean, look at this. That really shouldn't be funny. It's a tired concept (the "have you ever noticed this shit at restaurants" set-up), and the punchline is just sex stuff out of context. But his delivery is so unique he makes it hilarious. And he clearly knows it. He loves to play the idiot.

And the first part of this is just beautiful. He makes a completely serious statement with his face and he makes his co-host laugh at the randomness of it, then puts him on the tight spot for laughing. Everything in this video is so awesome.
    Norm's one of the all-time greats, and he's become better as he's dipped more and more into pointless shaggy dog jokes (the moth joke, the young dolphin joke), intentionally juvenile third-grade gags (Bob Saget's roast), and sub-Borscht-belt side-eyes (this amazing collection).

And I always feel bad for Courtney Thorne-Smith in this video, but he's so quick-witted.