Page 1881 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 881138117811831187118791880188118821883189119311981 ... LastLast
Results 47,001 to 47,025 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

What did he say that was controversial? Are there actors who prefer standing in front of a green screen by themselves to physically doing something? I don't think what Campell's saying is any different from what Alec Guinness said about making Star Wars.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    What did he say that was controversial? Are there actors who prefer standing in front of a green screen by themselves to physically doing something? I don't think what Campell's saying is any different from what Alec Guinness said about making Star Wars.
    Who said it was controversial? Just very "get off my lawn". The world moves on, dude. Sorry we graduated to safer filmmaking than blasting shotguns out windows.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Who said it was controversial? Just very "get off my lawn". The world moves on, dude. Sorry we graduated to safer filmmaking than blasting shotguns out windows.
    You're taking what he's saying very literal but his point was simply Hollywood film-making is more done in studio and on green screen sets rather than on location. It wasn't that they were using a real shotgun. It was he was actually holding something.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah Hollywood is waaaay too dependent on CGI at this point.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You're taking what he's saying very literal but his point was simply Hollywood film-making is more done in studio and on green screen sets rather than on location. It wasn't that they were using a real shotgun. It was he was actually holding something.
    Yeah, he was using a hyperbolic example from Evil Dead but his point still stands - it's hard to act without anything real to react to.

MC’s thoughts on Jordan Peterson?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Don't know who that is

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've just seen the BBC interview that made him famous outside Canada and his appearance on Bill Maher, so I can't claim any profound knowledge of his views, but from what I've seen, he doesn't strike me as an especially rigorous thinker. His arguments start out with a seemingly sensible observation (e.g., wage inequality can't be measured simply by comparing average salaries for men and women because women often self-select for lower paying jobs) but then quickly go off the rails because he doesn't ask himself basic questions about the subject at hand (why are women disproportionately represented in certain fields and not others, and more broadly why does society value traditionally masculine jobs more highly than traditionally feminine ones to the point that housework isn't even considered "real work"?), seemingly taking for granted that any social phenomenon can be explained by biology and is therefore inevitable.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I like some of his ideas and think he makes a lot of good points, but I also think he's not nearly as good at articulating a lot of those ideas as he seems to thinks he is, particularly when he's giving speeches and such. I enjoy him in interviews though, and feel he does a lot better in that environment, but I've tried watching some of his lectures, and the dude just speaks so broadly on subjects, it's to the point where it's almost like he's not even saying anything at all.

- - - - -
    Another intellectual grifter and rank opportunist, up there with Shapiro and Prager. I think Peterson is dangerous because he has credentials (a PhD, ffs!) and he'll appear reasonable in sound bites, so his particular brand of bullshit sounds good on late night and early morning talk shows.

But once you listen to him for longer than 10 seconds, he reveals himself as another lunatic, a wannabe goosestepper, shilling far-right ideas under the guise of respectability.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Lol, yes his lunatic reactionary far right ideas like "clean your room" and "be precise in your speech" are sure to lead to the next genocide. In any case it is far afield of the institutionalized mental illness that is mainstream academic culture. Good.

He's about as dangerous as any middlebrow english teacher could hope to be.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Lol, yes his lunatic reactionary far right ideas like "clean your room" and "be precise in your speech" are sure to lead to the next genocide.
    If he were solely another TV personality cum life coach I would ignore him. That sort has been around forever and they're mostly harmless outside their tendency to fleece rubes with expensive self-help books and seminars.

But you've skipped over the other part of his agenda, the far right conservative one, where he off handedly compares trans rights activists to Maoists, or makes vaguely incel-ish statements about monogamy and marriage, or confuses Marxism and post modernism to score cheap political points.

He's more professionally established and more firmly middle class, so he's more attractive as a TV pundit than dudes like Shapiro, Milo, or Gavin McInnes.

He's also intellectually dishonest, dodges direct questions, and refuses to state a coherent belief system.

So yeah. I think this makes him dangerous. Especially since, while he's not fully out as a white nationalist or alt-righter, he's definitely adjacent to them. Eg: His appearances on Louder with Crowder and The Rabin Report.

ETA: The fact that Mike "Gorilla Mind" Cernovich and Paul Joseph Watson are fans should give anyone pause. I mean, shit, that alone is a good reason to distrust him.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-11-2019 at 03:17 AM.

I appreciate his stance against Bill C-116. Not that I am against trans/non-binary rights (not even close, I’m a vocal proponent), but his trying to show people that it’s an attack on the very idea of free speech.

As he said in an interview (paraphrased): it’s not illegal to use the N word, but it’s now illegal to unknowingly misgender someone.

That being said, for every one thing he says that seems sensible, he says 2 things that are lunacy (such as his insistence that global warming / climate change isn’t a big deal).

I would never in a million years put him in the same group as Shapiro, though. That guy is Trump-level horrid.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    If he were solely another TV personality cum life coach I would ignore him. That sort has been around forever and they're mostly harmless outside their tendency to fleece rubes with expensive self-help books and seminars.

But you've skipped over the other part of his agenda, the far right conservative one, where he off handedly compares trans rights activists to Maoists, or makes vaguely incel-ish statements about monogamy and marriage, or confuses Marxism and post modernism to score cheap political points.

He's more professionally established and more firmly middle class, so he's more attractive as a TV pundit than dudes like Shapiro, Milo, or Gavin McInnes.

He's also intellectually dishonest, dodges direct questions, and refuses to state a coherent belief system.

So yeah. I think this makes him dangerous. Especially since, while he's not fully out as a white nationalist or alt-righter, he's definitely adjacent to them. Eg: His appearances on Louder with Crowder and The Rabin Report.

ETA: The fact that Mike "Gorilla Mind" Cernovich and Paul Joseph Watson are fans should give anyone pause. I mean, shit, that alone is a good reason to distrust him.

How utterly dystopian is it that a man worth several million dollars is now considered “firmly middle class”?

- - - - -
    How utterly dystopian is it that a man worth several million dollars is now considered “firmly middle class”?
    In values and mindset, he's very much petite-bourgeoisie.

Like, the stuff Peterson routinely implies is more palatable to suburban normies than the shit Milo and McGinnes just come right out and say.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This conversation will get me in trouble, so I will leave it alone as I should have done originally.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    This conversation will get me in trouble, so I will leave it alone as I should have done originally.

- - - - -
    I would never in a million years put him in the same group as Shapiro, though. That guy is Trump-level horrid.
    They're birds of a feather. Peterson appeared with Shapiro on The Rubin Report and he has also appeared on Fox & Friends.

Here's a pic of Peterson standing next to MAGA nutjobs while they hold a Pepe flag and flash white power symbols: https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/...58128264871937

He's an asshole, a wannabe cult leader.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Producer
    I know him first from a friend posting on facebook to his words, with caption framing them along the line of "ideal things of what a man should be or say", so that already wasn't my best first impression of him before his actual thoughts have taken it even further lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Lol, yes his lunatic reactionary far right ideas like "clean your room" and "be precise in your speech" are sure to lead to the next genocide. In any case it is far afield of the institutionalized mental illness that is mainstream academic culture. Good.

He's about as dangerous as any middlebrow english teacher could hope to be.
    In what sense is mainstream academic culture an institutionalized mental illness?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Also considering white supremacist incels have killed people already folks like Peterson and Shapiro are either dangerous or not helping. Ideas can certainly kill.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

So I was 2nd AD on a short film back around March, and they're starting to promote it now on fb. Only thing is I’m noticing that while the entire cast and crew is being tagged in these posts, including extras and even the grips and such, I’m consistently not being included in these posts. I’m friends with these people on fb (obviously, as I’m able to see their posts), and as far as I'm aware, there was no bad blood between myself or anyone else on set, so I'm pretty confused and frustrated here now. If it was only one time I was left out, that’d be one thing, but it’s been multiple times with multiple people now. Debating whether it’s worth it to speak up about it, to see what’s going on, or if it's even worth bringing up at all, or if I should just drop it? I dunno, anyone have any thoughts? Just feels like a real awkward position to be placed in, and can’t see how I can address it in any way that doesn’t make me come off badly. :\

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'd definitely send the poster a note. Probably just a slip of the mind. Or maybe a tongue and cheek comment on them yourself? Something like; "who were the directors on this?"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wonder how many of the tags are people adding it on their own?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter