Page 1715 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 715121516151665170517131714171517161717172517651815 ... LastLast
Results 42,851 to 42,875 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Not Empire Records?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The Millions March went from manhattan to the street where I live in Brooklyn. Thousands of people literally walked me home. This is very weird.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I know two people that went to a Gwar concert last week as well. Previously my only exposure to them was via Beavis and Butthead.
    Friends in Atlanta?

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Friends in Atlanta?
    Nah, Pittsburgh.

Okay, a really messy room required an almost five hour clean-up so I am up to episode six of Serial and ready to talk about it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Think I'm at episode four of Serial, and just not digging it enough to continue on with it. I'm in the wrong, I know.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm sure all the points have been talked to death online, but for the record:

These teenagers sure had a lot of free, unsupervised time.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Why is my favourite song by one of the biggest bands in the world, the ONLY song in their catalogue that is not available on iTunes??

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Why is my favourite song by one of the biggest bands in the world, the ONLY song in their catalogue that is not available on iTunes??
    Which One Direction song are you looking for?
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm sure all the points have been talked to death online, but for the record:

These teenagers sure had a lot of free, unsupervised time.
    Speaking of Serial, can we all agree that the world has gotten far too sensitive when the internet uproar over the following tweet by Best Buy was so overwhelming and vitriolic that they were forced to take it down and apologize?

I mean, it's kind of funny, and it certainly isn't offensive. Plus it's playing off the fact that no one is even sure there was a payphone at the Best Buy in question. The outrage over that tweet is just absurd.

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Which One Direction song are you looking for?
    Ha! I guffaw'd at that one!

U2 - "The Ground Beneath Her Feet"

Apparently it was a UK exclusive at release, but that was nearly 15 years ago. How has it still not made it over to NA?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Speaking of Serial, can we all agree that the world has gotten far too sensitive when the internet uproar over the following tweet by Best Buy was so overwhelming and vitriolic that they were forced to take it down and apologize?
    No, because if you exclude anyone's Internet outage on any basis, then you have to be open to the possibility of someone excluding yours, at some point in the future. And nobody wants that, right?

I mean, it's kind of funny, and it certainly isn't offensive. Plus it's playing off the fact that no one is even sure there was a payphone at the Best Buy in question. The outrage over that tweet is just absurd.
    I've only listened to the first four or five episodes, and because the show focuses mainly on the male actors in this little drama, and because it's positioned like some TAL radio play (even the name suggests a certain fiction)-- well, it's difficult to remember that at the center of the story lies a dead teenage girl.

So this is a purveyor of cheap electronics, a nationwide brand, making marketing bank off a dead kid.

That's gross, any way you look at it.

I totally had frustrating, tense dreams about Serial last night. After letting it all percolate in my subconscious for several hours, here is the tension that is really getting me: (remember, I'm only through six)

1. Jay absolutely knows how Hae died.

2. Jay is the only person in the story-- and conceivably, maybe the only person alive-- who we are certain knows how Hae died.

3. Jay is a liar.

And this is the part that I think nobody is going to ever be able to reconcile completely, unless Jay or someone else comes forward with new information or evidence. Because these three facts together don't prove anything. Even though he changes his story multiple times, lies, and has a history of petty crime, Jay could very well be telling the material truth about what happened that day. But it's just as possible he's covering for himself or someone else.

This isn't a fictional drama. We're not ensured a piece of evidence, or witness, or a confession will come to light that will explain what happened. And I think that's going to be very frustrating for everyone when this is complete.
    ...and the milk's in me.

But I think what Irish said bears repeating. For a narrative focused on a crime, Serial spends very little time talking about the victim, and almost no time talking about the victim's friends and family; the people who were most hurt and affected by what happened. If I was a member of Hae's family, this podcast would have me completely livid. This is a greater tragedy than it is a mystery.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Welcome back Irish.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    But I think what Irish said bears repeating. For a narrative focused on a crime, Serial spends very little time talking about the victim, and almost no time talking about the victim's friends and family; the people who were most hurt and affected by what happened. If I was a member of Hae's family, this podcast would have me completely livid. This is a greater tragedy than it is a mystery.
    That's the part the bothers me about the whole show: It plays like some kind of radio play. But it's not. And some fan reaction I've read makes my skin crawl. People speculate about the "mystery" using the same language they use to speculate about an episode of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

There's something awful about true crime presented as pure entertainment. Usually this sort of material is presented in a much more lurid fashion so it's easier to wallow in that element of it or turn away in disgust.

But Serial has that twee "This American Life" thing going... And it bugs me. Because the way it's structured it makes it easy to forget the dude is in jail and the girl is dead.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Welcome back Irish.
    Thanks!

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    No, because if you exclude anyone's Internet outage on any basis, then you have to be open to the possibility of someone excluding yours, at some point in the future. And nobody wants that, right?
    My comment wasn't intending to exclude the outrage, merely to challenge it, which I think is perfectly acceptable, and even necessary, even when it's my own outrage. Knee-jerk reactions should be challenged. They are often overreactions. I think challenging them is healthy.

I've only listened to the first four or five episodes, and because the show focuses mainly on the male actors in this little drama, and because it's positioned like some TAL radio play (even the name suggests a certain fiction)-- well, it's difficult to remember that at the center of the story lies a dead teenage girl.

So this is a purveyor of cheap electronics, a nationwide brand, making marketing bank off a dead kid.

That's gross, any way you look at it.
    This wasn't a corporate decision. It wasn't discussed around a board room conference table, with all the top members of Best Buy deciding that this was a great marketing strategy moving forward. It wasn't a commercial campaign, or even much of an advertisement for their company. This was likely a young person tasked with updating the Best Buy Twitter feed who made a somewhat witty remark about a pop culture phenomenon that superficially involved the company he/she works for. Yes, it's a story that involves the murder of a teenage girl, and obviously that's incredibly sensitive, but to say that this is a company "making marketing bank off a dead kid" is disingenuous and exaggerated. The outrage, in my opinion, isn't justified.

I totally had frustrating, tense dreams about Serial last night. After letting it all percolate in my subconscious for several hours, here is the tension that is really getting me: (remember, I'm only through six)

1. Jay absolutely knows how Hae died.

2. Jay is the only person in the story-- and conceivably, maybe the only person alive-- who we are certain knows how Hae died.

3. Jay is a liar.

And this is the part that I think nobody is going to ever be able to reconcile completely, unless Jay or someone else comes forward with new information or evidence. Because these three facts together don't prove anything. Even though he changes his story multiple times, lies, and has a history of petty crime, Jay could very well be telling the material truth about what happened that day. But it's just as possible he's covering for himself or someone else.

This isn't a fictional drama. We're not ensured a piece of evidence, or witness, or a confession will come to light that will explain what happened. And I think that's going to be very frustrating for everyone when this is complete.
    Yeah, this is the toughest part about the story thus far. This is what makes it so compelling. I'm not convinced that Adnan wasn't involved in some way, but to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt considering the only legitimate evidence is the eye-witness account of Jay, which was constantly changing and admittedly dishonest at times is truly baffling. I wish they could have got him to speak on the record so they could ask him about the inconsistencies of his story.

I agree with this in part, and the podcast would have greatly benefitted from having had an episode devoted to her, if I'm a member of her family, I would hope I'd be able to look beyond this slight and focus my concerns toward potentially having the wrong person imprisoned for her death, and understand that the greater purpose of the podcast is to call into focus this possibility by going over in great detail the circumstances surrounding her death and the trial that put Adnan in prison for the last 17 years.

Example of what I mean:

It's easy to compare Serial to Rectify, but I feel icky about it, because although Rectify is a fantastic show, it's fiction. A real girl didn't die. So they shouldn't really be assessed the same way.

It's also disorienting to me that these kids are almost my same age, and the events happened so close to where I live now.

I agree with this in part, and the podcast would have greatly benefitted from having had an episode devoted to her, if I'm a member of her family, I would hope I'd be able to look beyond this slight and focus my concerns toward potentially having the wrong person imprisoned for her death, and understand that the greater purpose of the podcast is to call into focus this possibility by going over in great detail the circumstances surrounding her death and the trial that put Adnan in prison for the last 17 years.
    I'm not sure. It's been fifteen years, and I hope that they have found a measure of peace. To have all the sordid details of her death dredged up on a national stage; to have her diary read and her sex life scrutinized and her picture open to the comments of people on the internet... I think it would be hellish.

I'm not sure. It's been fifteen years, and I hope that they have found a measure of peace. To have all the sordid details of her death dredged up on a national stage; to have her diary read and her sex life scrutinized and her picture open to the comments of people on the internet... I think it would be hellish.
    You are probably correct. It's impossible to say how I would feel if it were my own child. Bringing all of that back into focus would certainly be torturous, but I can't imagine not feeling awful at the thought that my child's real killer is walking free and that a potentially innocent man (kid, when he was incarcerated) has lost 15 years of his life for a crime he didn't commit.

Although this is an oversimplification, I feel the podcast is more "JUSTICE FOR ADNAN" and less "JUSTICE FOR HAE!"

Although this is an oversimplification, I feel the podcast is more "JUSTICE FOR ADNAN" and less "JUSTICE FOR HAE!"
    I don't know. Again, you're probably correct, but as the podcast progresses, she has serious doubts about Adnan. If it does skew that way, it could be that (a) that's how her journey began, being contacted by his friends and family and asked to look into what they considered his wrongful imprisonment, and (b), that her goals are more realistic, in that she isn't going to find justice for Hae through her podcast. The best she can hope to achieve is to cast doubt on the guilty verdict Adnan received and get him some sort of appeal or new trial. If that then leads to someone else (who am I kidding, Jay) being brought to trial for the murder, all the better, but to charge someone 15 years later when there was never any physical evidence is a pretty big ask.

Were you waiting for a high-enough-horse to make your reappearance on? LOL.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    That's the part the bothers me about the whole show: It plays like some kind of radio play. But it's not. And some fan reaction I've read makes my skin crawl. People speculate about the "mystery" using the same language they use to speculate about an episode of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

There's something awful about true crime presented as pure entertainment. Usually this sort of material is presented in a much more lurid fashion so it's easier to wallow in that element of it or turn away in disgust.

But Serial has that twee "This American Life" thing going... And it bugs me. Because the way it's structured it makes it easy to forget the dude is in jail and the girl is dead.

I completely disagree with this. As a matter of fact, our listening experience has been exactly the opposite. Every time we're reminded that a girl is dead, and someone is in jail, and that person may or may not be the person who killed that girl.

The reality of that situation is terrifying, because of the way the story is so small, so personal, and so not sensationalized. There is no grand conspiracy, very little drama, and no big mystery presented. It's something that could, sadly, happen to anyone.

One of my biggest fears is going to prison for something I absolutely didn't do. And this show makes me think of that all the time. Not because I think Adnon is innocent (I really don't know), but just because of the way the show presents a small, personal story and shows how it impacted a small group of friends and family. It puts real people in the center of the countless homicide stories we hear about all the time.

- - - - -
    My comment wasn't intending to exclude the outrage, merely to challenge it
    Curious-- outside this context when you see statements like this from other people, how do they read to you?

Can we all agree that the world has gotten far too sensitive when ...
    It reads as dismissive to me. As if the person making the statement wants to brush off the latest outrage-du-jour because it's completely outside their experience. *shrug*

Which might feel like it's justified here and there because with social media working as a collective "2 minutes hate" for every player, it gets increasingly difficult to put yourself in anybody else's shoes.

This wasn't a corporate decision. It wasn't discussed around a board room conference table, with all the top members of Best Buy deciding that this was a great marketing strategy moving forward. It wasn't a commercial campaign, or even much of an advertisement for their company. This was likely a young person tasked with updating the Best Buy Twitter feed who made a somewhat witty remark about a pop culture phenomenon that superficially involved the company he/she works for.
    We're talking about a multinational corporation with a $12 billion dollar market cap and nearly 2,000 locations around the world. If you've ever worked for a large company, you know that any public statement goes through a dozen copywriters and gets the approval of a half dozen marketing VPs before it goes out. Social media accounts are the public face of the brand. People at large corporations take that shit very seriously. I can guarantee this wasn't some intern on his phone while killing time in the mail room.