Page 1890 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 890139017901840188018881889189018911892190019401990 ... LastLast
Results 47,226 to 47,250 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

So... the max I can put on a doordash card is $200. Anybody have any good ideas what do do with the remaining 350? Two more doordash cards? A target card? Something else?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    So... the max I can put on a doordash card is $200. Anybody have any good ideas what do do with the remaining 350? Two more doordash cards? A target card? Something else?
    Two Door Dash and a Target sounds like a good idea to me.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Do we want to wait and send flowers to the services?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Do we want to wait and send flowers to the services?
    Honestly, it sounds more like a celebration of life get together. I’d roll all of it into donations for Val and family.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I would agree with Scar. I'll get that second doordash card out today and grab a target gift card tomorrow over lunch for the remaining balance, slip it into the sympathy card and get it all in the mail tomorrow.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Roger that. Sounds like a plan.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hell even a Visa giftcard. Spend it any way they want.

I've been offline for a few days and had no idea he was even sick. Absolutely devastated reading about all of this today. Like others here, K was one of the first people I remember talking to online, as a budding cinephile in a small town eager to find like-minded people to discuss movies. I hadn't even heard of Akira Kurosawa and he basically guided me through his filmography (and I was sure to repay him by being ambivalent about some of his personal favorites, haha). Such an awesome dude.

Rest in peace, K Fan.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Good work, bac0n.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

These are shitty news. I'm sorry I wasn't able to collaborate, I wasn't reading the forums because I was on a film festival in Mar del Plata and, frankly, I couldn't put in a contribution. My country's currency is devaluated and one dollar is about sixty pesos for me. But I wish his family the very best and that they are able to overcome the tragedy and enjoy life the way KF would have wanted.

Okay, the sympathy/target card is in the mail, and the second door dash ecard should be in Valerie's inbox. Here's hoping it's a long time before we have to do this sort of thing again.

Thanks for doing all that, bac0n.

Someone’s getting the good scotch this weekend.

....and probably the spare bed.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    KF and I had our fair share of arguments over football in the early days of MC, but that's because I was so ignorant back then. But when we became Facebook friends, we had a pleasant conversation about the sport and our favorite teams...it really got me thinking that interacting with him really helped teach me how to be civil and fair in online discourse. He loved movies so much, that he passed it down to his kids, and from them to their pets, they had a wonderful family. . .one that made me think if I were to raise one, I'd want it to be like his.

Rest in peace.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Good grief. I've been at this job a long time, and I've seen some shit, but never quite like this new emergency project. Constantly amazed at peoples ability to overlook obvious safety issues and ignore everyday protocols to slide a couple bucks. In the aftermath, it's a miracle a hundred houses survived and at least dozens arent dead.

Oh well...your shit company just made mine (possibly) millions fixing your bullshit halfassery. And we wont have to be bothered by your company's competing bids ever again. We may be working Saturdays, sundays, maybe even Thanksgiving this year...but it's worth it for the insane payday correcting your laziness. I've seen heads of companies commit suicide because of this kind of laziness.

Nine inches of wet slop, combined with a snowblower that threw a belt right out the gate = one sore Scar for Turkey. Biggest mistake was trying to fix the blower in the driveway, which means splitting the beast in two, realigning the belt, then putting it back together. After doing this three times I decided to do it the old fashioned way.

At least I didn’t give the snow plow the finger when he dumped over a foot of snow and ice in each direction at the base of our driveway.

“Nine inches of wet slop” was my nickname in college.
    Last edited by megladon8; 11-28-2019 at 10:36 AM.

I need a new cell phone.

If I have been with Apple for years and it’s what I’m used to, is there any major reason why I should switch to Android?

I don’t use apps (Messenger, Gmail and iTunes are all that’s on my phone aside from the basics). I don’t play games.

I would like to keep my iTunes library.

Should I just get a new iPhone? Or is there a legitimate (see: not just “I hate Apple”) reason to go to, say, a Samsung Galaxy?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I need a new cell phone.

If I have been with Apple for years and it’s what I’m used to, is there any major reason why I should switch to Android?

I don’t use apps (Messenger, Gmail and iTunes are all that’s on my phone aside from the basics). I don’t play games.

I would like to keep my iTunes library.

Should I just get a new iPhone? Or is there a legitimate (see: not just “I hate Apple”) reason to go to, say, a Samsung Galaxy?
    Why get Samsung? Just go straight to Google and get a Pixel. No bloatware. Only $299.Dunno what that translates to CD. I was a Samsung guy for years before going Google. Get OTA updates faster too.

You don't need to use iTunes. Can can transfer your music library to Google Music (for free). Streams from the phone same way iTunes would.

It's all personal preference though. I really like the fingerprint scanner on the back of the Pixel (instead of the front of the Samsung).

I've never seen people raised on Apple to appreciate switching Samsung (unfortunate, as I find Samsung infinitely easier to use), so all I'll say is you can switch and keep your iTunes library (as far as I know).

I still use a flip phone.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Why get Samsung? Just go straight to Google and get a Pixel. No bloatware. Only $299.Dunno what that translates to CD. I was a Samsung guy for years before going Google. Get OTA updates faster too.

You don't need to use iTunes. Can can transfer your music library to Google Music (for free). Streams from the phone same way iTunes would.

It's all personal preference though. I really like the fingerprint scanner on the back of the Pixel (instead of the front of the Samsung).

I completely forgot about Google.

Thanks for the reminder. Might have just jumped to the top of my list!

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I completely forgot about Google.

Thanks for the reminder. Might have just jumped to the top of my list!
    There's nothing like buying an unlocked phone for under $300. The days of flagship phones are ova!

There's nothing like buying an unlocked phone for under $300. The days of flagship phones are ova!
    It’s $1100 in Canada.

But compared to $1800 for a galaxy, that’s still much better.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've never seen people raised on Apple to appreciate switching Samsung (unfortunate, as I find Samsung infinitely easier to use), so all I'll say is you can switch and keep your iTunes library (as far as I know).
    I would have switched to Samsung, but they decided to get rid of the headphone jack as well, so if everyone's gonna be a dick about that, then I guess I'll just stick to the original dick because it's less hassle. I'm still on an iPhone 6+ and my iPad 2 is still going strong, so at least their hardware is reliable. iTunes is still and always will be a complete piece of shit, however.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64