Page 1845 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 845134517451795183518431844184518461847185518951945 ... LastLast
Results 46,101 to 46,125 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    And yet you demand free healthcare.
    It can be done, you know. Other countries have managed it. Many of them successfully. I know none of them are the greatest country on Earth, though, so what do we know?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It can be done, you know. Other countries have managed it. Many of them successfully. I know none of them are the greatest country on Earth, though, so what do we know?
    BUT....BUT....FREEEEEEDOM!
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The attempts to make a problem out of Jared Leto’s yakuza movie are so pathetic. It’s such a non issue. No one has done anything wrong in this case.

Side note - The movie still looks like crap.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Doesn't the title sort of imply he's a Westerner?

Damn, if these guys had been alive when Sydney Pollack made The Yakuza they would've set themselves on fire from the indignation.

I posted it in the Movies That Exist thread, not because it looks offensive, just a premise that seems hilariously weird and came out of nowhere. I'll watch it.

Yesterday I went to the Chinese buffet.

I had 4 full, heaping plates of food, then a fifth plate of chicken wings and garlic spare ribs.

Among what I ate were 14 egg rolls and more than two dozen chicken balls.

I can’t figure out why I have digestive problems.

14 egg rolls?? They must've been small?

Normally I avoid buffet type setups, but we found a Japanese place unlike anything I've ever seen, and its been monthly date night routine for about a year now. We try to go other places...but then we always talk our way back to the Japanese place. Its the sushi buffet for me. All you can eat sushi...

They weren’t small. I can just eat a lot.

Impressive!

Peeking around at other jobs (would like to get out of retail).

The requirements for jobs these days are just ridiculous. If things don’t change soon we’re going to end up with everyone either unemployed or rich, no middle ground.

“Entry level position. 8+ years of experience required.” is something I have read countless times during 2 hours of job searching online.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Peeking around at other jobs (would like to get out of retail).

The requirements for jobs these days are just ridiculous. If things don’t change soon we’re going to end up with everyone either unemployed or rich, no middle ground.

“Entry level position. 8+ years of experience required.” is something I have read countless times during 2 hours of job searching online.
    I'm in a similar situation. Things have reached a point where even retail is hard to get into here. If a position is open, they just shuffle people around internally. Found this out after I kept getting e-mailed rejections for jobs I'm more than qualified for and finally called to inquire what the hell was up. Businesses are cutting back on labor and avoiding hiring at all costs. It's really gotten scary at this point.

We're already there.

And if you're seriously seeing "8+ years of experience required" its all over. Theres not one profession on earth that requires 8 years practice. Begin Road Warrior survival training.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Begin Road Warrior survival training.
    Way ahead of ya. >_>

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I'm in a similar situation. Things have reached a point where even retail is hard to get into here. If a position is open, they just shuffle people around internally. Found this out after I kept getting e-mailed rejections for jobs I'm more than qualified for and finally called to inquire what the hell was up. Businesses are cutting back on labor and avoiding hiring at all costs. It's really gotten scary at this point.
    Everyone I know who has gotten out of retail, has done so through connections of some sort - a family member in the government, a friend in a trade, etc.

And even those types of connections are harder to come by now, because so many people are either out of work completely or can only get retail / service.

Which is why it’s all the more angering to hear people say that people in these positions don’t deserve living wages.

Basically if you don’t want to struggle, try not being born poor.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    We're already there.

And if you're seriously seeing "8+ years of experience required" its all over. Theres not one profession on earth that requires 8 years practice. Begin Road Warrior survival training.
    Dude, I read a posting for a copy editor at a city newspaper / news website that required 8+ years of experience

A copy editor.

I mean, I’m not saying the job is a slice of cake...but medical degrees take less than 8 years.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Somewhat related: I'm slightly horrified by my local grocery store. (Ralphs, for you Californians.) They've had the automatic checkout lane for a couple of years now, but they just added another one and added a thing where you take a little hand console, and you scan your items as you go through the store so checkout workers have less to do. I've resolved to go to the cashiers from here on out to the bitter end, but that feels a bit like when that kid in The Blob races out and shoots at the creature with his toy gun. Like, yeah, that'll get 'em.

And at my captioning job, our direct boss was coming in for a while and asking us to look for automation software online so that we could get through the transcription work faster, but we all know what that actually means. It means that this line of work is on the way out.

It's all very sobering and worrying. Like what you're seeing on those job postings, it's a very real reminder of the shrinking job market, that the jobs out there aren't transitioning, they're very slowly going away. Permanently.

There’s always a market for handjobs, right?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    There’s always a market for handjobs, right?
    Fleshlights. They're taking uhr jerbs.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Somewhat related: I'm slightly horrified by my local grocery store. (Ralphs, for you Californians.) They've had the automatic checkout lane for a couple of years now, but they just added another one and added a thing where you take a little hand console, and you scan your items as you go through the store so checkout workers have less to do. I've resolved to go to the cashiers from here on out to the bitter end, but that feels a bit like when that kid in The Blob races out and shoots at the creature with his toy gun. Like, yeah, that'll get 'em.

And at my captioning job, our direct boss was coming in for a while and asking us to look for automation software online so that we could get through the transcription work faster, but we all know what that actually means. It means that this line of work is on the way out.

It's all very sobering and worrying. Like what you're seeing on those job postings, it's a very real reminder of the shrinking job market, that the jobs out there aren't transitioning, they're very slowly going away. Permanently.
    I've experienced this sorta thing. I used to work at a dental lab, where I used to make crowns and bridges and that sorta thing. Definitely the best job I ever had, and pretty much the only non-retail work I've been able to land. But then came the invention of the 3D printer, and now suddenly, a job that used to take multiple people several days to accomplish could be done by a single person in about an hour, with the simple press of a few buttons. And just like that, RIP dental lab industry.

And the proverbial “they” INSIST that the development of theee new technologies will also mean new jobs - people needed to build and maintain these machines, etc.

Still not seeing any of these jobs anywhere. Esrpcislly when you look on these automated machines and see they are all made in China, Japan or Mexico.

So...back to handjobs.

Unless "handjob" implies two or more people, I can proudly put on any resume that I have far more than eight years of experience.

Los Angeles just started a fast food restaurant with a robotic burger flipping machine. It can do up to 150 burgers in a hour.

The cost? $60k.

In six months, the restaurant chain is planning to sell the robot to the open market.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

One of my favorite things about job postings now is that they typically omit the compensation range.

Why yes, I'd love to spend 3 hours tailoring my resumé and writing a cover letter for a position that might actually pay worse than my current low-paying job.

Would you be interested in a 1 year unpaid internship? It’s full time so you won’t be able to work a paying job on the side, and there won’t be any work for you when it’s over.

But the connections you’ll make! They might lead to something! I mean...realistically they probably won’t, but keep your head up!