Page 1891 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 891139117911841188118891890189118921893190119411991 ... LastLast
Results 47,251 to 47,275 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Should I just get a new iPhone? Or is there a legitimate (see: not just “I hate Apple”) reason to go to, say, a Samsung Galaxy?
    It comes down to price and privacy.

iPhone vs. Android: Which Is Better for You?

The Best Smartphones for 2019

^ Both of these articles were updated in the last 6 weeks or so.

ETA: The worst thing about Google is that they'll only promise to support their shit for 2-3 years. After that it's upgrade or GTFO.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I would have switched to Samsung, but they decided to get rid of the headphone jack as well, so if everyone's gonna be a dick about that, then I guess I'll just stick to the original dick because it's less hassle. I'm still on an iPhone 6+ and my iPad 2 is still going strong, so at least their hardware is reliable. iTunes is still and always will be a complete piece of shit, however.
    They did?? Thats some bullshit. I'm still on Galaxy 8+, but I'm due for an upgrade (putting it off until I have to, phone still works great).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I would have switched to Samsung, but they decided to get rid of the headphone jack as well, so if everyone's gonna be a dick about that, then I guess I'll just stick to the original dick because it's less hassle. I'm still on an iPhone 6+ and my iPad 2 is still going strong, so at least their hardware is reliable. iTunes is still and always will be a complete piece of shit, however.
    Pixel has a headphone jack.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It’s $1100 in Canada.

But compared to $1800 for a galaxy, that’s still much better.
    Holy shit! That's the markup to Canada??? $700+??

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

ETA: The worst thing about Google is that they'll only promise to support their shit for 2-3 years. After that it's upgrade or GTFO.
    Apple doesn't say it because they know whatever iOS upgrades they do in 2-3 years will render your iPhone to a crawl. It's their way to combat fragmentation. At least Google lets you choose to stay downreved.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Apple doesn't say it because they know whatever iOS upgrades they do in 2-3 years will render your iPhone to a crawl. It's their way to combat fragmentation. At least Google lets you choose to stay downreved.
    From the way I heard it, Apple was doing that shit on purpose to incentivize users to upgrade (which in some ways is worse than Google's straight up "fuck you, pay me" model). But technically you still get 5-6 years of support on iPhones.

My beef with Google is that they cut you off based on when the device was introduced into the market, not when you buy it. So if you buy a device that's 6 mos or a year behind, well too bad the clock was already ticking. And when you're cut off, you're really cut off. You don't even get security upgrades.

Meanwhile, on the desktop front, I have a 9 year old Mac that hasn't been upgraded to the last 2 versions of Mac OS, but Apple still supports it and I still get security upgrades. I wish that sorta thing existed at all on mobile platforms.

I guess so.

I’m on Telus looking at phone prices and that’s what it costs.

- - - - -
    $1 Canadian = $0.75 US

From the way I heard it, Apple was doing that shit on purpose to incentivize users to upgrade (which in some ways is worse than Google's straight up "fuck you, pay me" model). But technically you still get 5-6 years of support on iPhones.

My beef with Google is that they cut you off based on when the device was introduced into the market, not when you buy it. So if you buy a device that's 6 mos or a year behind, well too bad the clock was already ticking. And when you're cut off, you're really cut off. You don't even get security upgrades.

Meanwhile, on the desktop front, I have a 9 year old Mac that hasn't been upgraded to the last 2 versions of Mac OS, but Apple still supports it and I still get security upgrades. I wish that sorta thing existed at all on mobile platforms.
    Fair criticism. I prefer my devices to work beyond 6 years regardless of when I buy it. Can you even rollback updates in iOS? Factory Reset I guess?

$1 Canadian = $0.75 US
    Still doesn't compute. $300 USD is only $400. Does canada not have access to Google's store?

Still doesn't compute. $300 USD is only $400. Does canada not have access to Google's store?
    It’s not just google, that’s how much phones cost here.

Samsung Galaxy Note + is $1800.

Why look at flagships alone? I mean, I went with Xiaomi midrangers for my last two phones and they are amazing, but Samsung was forced to put out some amazing phones at affordable prices. If I didn't get the Mi 9 Lite, I'd have probably looked hard into the Samsung Galaxy M30s. It has everything you need specs-wise, including the headphone jack, and a ginormous 6000mAh battery to power it, for less than $300 I think. For a bit more, there are always the One Plus devices. Their latest gen phones are absolutely amazing, while still being much cheaper than Apple or Samsung flagships.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Pixel 3a isnt flagship.

Pixel has a headphone jack.
    Expensive and shit support in Korea.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Expensive and shit support in Korea.
    What does $300 USD translate to Korean exchange? How are these budget phones so expensive in other countries (where they are manufactured)

How are these budget phones so expensive in other countries (where they are manufactured)
    Tariffs would be the answer to that. (Not that Google manufactures phones here.) Even Samsung and LG phones are relatively expensive here because - guess what? - the tariffs on overseas products keep their prices artificially high, so Samsung and LG can keep their price high as well. It is cheaper to buy Galaxy and Notes in the US than here.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm not entirely sure of the origin of the phrase "ham-fisted," but I do know the phrase is disgusting.

Imagine holding a tight, sweaty mound of ham in your hand. And then imagine doing anything else with that hand. Opening a door...driving a car...greeting a senator. It's just not right. It's a violation of the soul. It cuts deeper than it needs to.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Thats not how I pictured it. I pictured a dork fisting a full dinner ham and swinging it around, while asking if people think he's clever or if they "get" it.

This is retail in a nutshell...

meg that is pretty accurate. Although when my work then actually does attempt to replace people half the time the new replacements suck and get fired or quit. Our HR lady is thankfully retiring finally-she's awful.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    meg that is pretty accurate. Although when my work then actually does attempt to replace people half the time the new replacements suck and get fired or quit. Our HR lady is thankfully retiring finally-she's awful.
    Or they figure a way out to remove the employees altogether. Self Check-out... I've seen some machine recently doing inventory.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That's more than just retail. It describes our office pretty well too.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Let’s take away jobs in a way never before imagined, while simultaneously raising food and housing prices to the highest rate in relation to income ever seen.

Nothing bad could happen, right?

Let’s take away jobs in a way never before imagined, while simultaneously raising food and housing prices to the highest rate in relation to income ever seen.

Capitalism a love story.

Should be interesting in a few years!!

It's certainly not over yet. Self-Order Kiosks, Purchasing online, robotic cooks...

I'm probably a little late to get that IT education.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter