Page 1817 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 817131717171767180718151816181718181819182718671917 ... LastLast
Results 45,401 to 45,425 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I didn't even realize you could do that.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Sooooooooo ... Joss Whedon.

Didn't see that coming.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Didn't see that coming.
    Just another toothpick.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What happened?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Didn't see that coming.
    I don't know, I read his Wonder Woman script...
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    He's accused by his ex wife of multiple infidelities throughout their marriage, often with people involved with his movies and tv shows. “actresses, co-workers, fans and friends”

He's coming off very disingenuous after everything he's been preaching his entire life.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    I don't know, I read his Wonder Woman script...
    Ha. Yeah, was gonna say... I mentioned this before in some thread, but his reputation as a feminist has been severely diminished these past few years, and a lot of women were calling him hypocrites when he was publicly trashing Jurassic World for being sexist and then Ultron came out and people were like, this ain't any better, Joss. The WW leak definitely didn't help, either (this is where I wonder if the contributions of Marti Noxon in Whedon's most praised works have been understated this whole time, given her work later on Mad Men and UnREAL).

Regardless, I've had a handful of male allies whose works used to be praised as feminist being exposed as real life creeps over the past few years, in the comic book and comedy world. I've become so jaded when it comes to men in fandom, so Joss Whedon just feels like the Final Boss of this trend, heh.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Ha. Yeah, was gonna say... I mentioned this before in some thread, but his reputation as a feminist has been severely diminished these past few years, and a lot of women were calling him hypocrites when he was publicly trashing Jurassic World for being sexist and then Ultron came out and people were like, this ain't any better, Joss. The WW leak definitely didn't help, either (this is where I wonder if the contributions of Marti Noxon in Whedon's most praised works have been understated this whole time, given her work later on Mad Men and UnREAL).

Regardless, I've had a handful of male allies whose works used to be praised as feminist being exposed as real life creeps over the past few years, in the comic book and comedy world. I've become so jaded when it comes to men in fandom, so Joss Whedon just feels like the Final Boss of this trend, heh.
    Yeah, this is becoming increasingly common, and I wonder if there's an answer beyond the obvious "guy tries to be as 'woke' as possible to avoid understanding of his sleaziness (or to compensate for it)." It happened with Faraci last year, it happened recently with Nick Robinson at Polygon, and I was willing to excuse Whedon's wife's commentary, but now the larger thread is emerging.

A part of me feels defensive of them and wants to say, "Well, they're hypocrites, but we're all hypocrites, and for all we know their efforts to treat women with respect were sincere but just at odds with their other impulses." Which isn't an excuse but really more an effort to be as charitable as possible. But also, it's probably a situation where it'd be better to hear what women think about it than me.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 08-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    A part of me feels defensive of them and wants to say, "Well, they're hypocrites, but we're all hypocrites, and for all we know their efforts to treat women with respect were sincere but just at odds with their other impulses." Which isn't an excuse but really more an effort to be as charitable as possible. But also, it's probably a situation where it'd be better to hear what women think about it than me.
    I thought this was hilariously succinct.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Frustrating, to put it mildly.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I keep seeing people bring up Whedon's Wonder Woman script, but I remain unaware as to any of its actual content, other than that everyone has described it as being sexist. Could someone summarize what was in it that got everyone up in arms?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I keep seeing people bring up Whedon's Wonder Woman script, but I remain unaware as to any of its actual content, other than that everyone has described it as being sexist. Could someone summarize what was in it that got everyone up in arms?
    The action description of the women and the story coming off more as a Steve Trevor story than a Diana one.

I dunno, I read that text by the ex-wife and it seemed to me like something written out of vindictivedeness, specially since it's sort of timed against the Justice League release. I wouldn't put much stock in something like that to morally judge a person I don't know. At one point she claims to have suffered PTSD which just made me laugh. I've been through a particularly nasty, violent break up but still I wouldn't act like I was in 'Nam and now I'm shell shocked.

Also, she seems to think there's an inherent contradiction between being a feminist and having an extramarital affair. I don't think that's true at all. She's purposefully vague about the nature and the number of the affairs and presents herself as an innocent manipulated soul who does absolutely no harm even in retaliation, while the truth is that she wrote an open letter to harm a person's reputation but there isn't any real accusation of anything so out of the ordinary in a crumbling marriage between adults, even copy-pasting stuff that was clearly not meant to be public.

Come on, people, this is tabloid smut. I can't believe I even wrote so much about it.

I'm ashamed having believed it after reading Grouchy's post.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The timing's got nothing to do with Justice League, actually. It's because their divorce just became public a couple of months ago (didn't get posted here because, hey, just tabloid smut, right?). They were hiding it for the past 5 years. Even when he filmed Much Ado About Nothing in their home that she designed and made that a big selling point of the movie, he kept the illusion that they were still married in the press tours.

The divorce and the cheating are all celeb gossip, yes of course, but I think you're misunderstanding where a lot of the discussions about this has been about. No one's saying that if you're a cheater you can't be feminist. I think that's patently silly. What people are latching onto are her accusation that he used his reputation as a feminist to deflect any suspicions about his relationships with women. Because let's face it, if you're a powerful male Hollywood producer and you pursue and sleep with actresses, people who work on your show, and women in your fanbase, you're pretty much a male Hollywood producer stereotype—and Whedon probably knows that, so what's being questioned is whether he was so vocal about feminism to obscure that reality of himself (it's not like that's an uncommon phenomenon). The response here is definitely a response to Whedon's self-curated reputation, rather than just his transgressions. Like, I personally don't think there's anything wrong with a dude who doesn't want to be monogamous and likes to sleep with as many women as possible, but I was pretty grossed out by his attempt to blame patriarchy for his dishonesty (the Greek myth line specifically made me gag).

P.S., Complex PTSD is a common mental health diagnosis, man. It's not some kind of soldier disease. That's like saying it's unbelievable for me to have athlete's foot because I'm not an athlete.
    Movie Theater Diary

This admittedly gave me pause: Whedonesque.com has shut down today. Crazy to think how long that site's been around (since Firefly was on!). I remember checking on it occasionally when Dollhouse and Dr. Horrible first came out.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah.....8 summed up my feelings pretty nicely in last post. I don't have much to say about this. Its always felt a little odd how overly outspoken Joss has been, so this comes as little surprise, but (repeating 8) being a womanizer and femanist-ly idealed aren't necessarily opposing ideals. It does come off as icky though. Its annoying, but not really offensively damning if he didn't break any laws. Some people are reacting like he's the head of the women's lib movement and he got discovered as the leader of a women's sex trafficking organization. Not defending him at all, but c'mon. He's always just kinda been a sjw.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Yeah.....8 summed up my feelings pretty nicely in last post. I don't have much to say about this. Its always felt a little odd how overly outspoken Joss has been, so this comes as little surprise, but (repeating 8) being a womanizer and femanist-ly idealed aren't necessarily opposing ideals.
    Well of course the feminist who attends orgies would say that.

I don't see any conflict of interest with being a feminist and attending orgies...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Joss Whedon - an overrated writer, and an overrated feminist.

Joss Whedon - an overrated writer, and an overrated feminist.
    Examples?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Examples?
    I don't know his whole body of work, but I would start with Cabin in the Woods.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I don't know his whole body of work, but I would start with Cabin in the Woods.
    As overrated??

Producer
    In term of Whedon as a creative, the guy who wrote and directed "Restless", "Hush", "The Body", and "Once More With Feeling" (just to take a few from the Buffy stuff) gets a lifetime pass for me.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    In term of Whedon as a creative, the guy who wrote and directed "Restless", "Hush", "The Body", and "Once More With Feeling" (just to take a few from the Buffy stuff) gets a lifetime pass for me.
    I mean, this.

Even his superhero movies are best when it's just a bunch of people sitting around and talking. He creates a dialog that just oozes drama.