Page 1916 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 91614161816186619061914191519161917191819261966 ... LastLast
Results 47,876 to 47,900 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Cancel culture really needs to go away.
    It really does. This entire “cancel culture” movement has thoroughly broken my heart over and over again, particularly seeing so many people I know participating in it, all the while trying to deny that it’s even a thing. Hell, I have project ideas that I’m hesitant to tackle due to this ever accelerating movement to cancel anything and everything, and people’s adamant determination to end careers over petty disagreements and whatnot. Projects mind you that I would’ve felt no such hesitation towards even 10 years ago, but now, in the age of everything even mildly controversial being blown out of proportion as “problematic to society”, yeah, and people legitimately losing jobs and careers over such things, yeah, outlooks are a lot scarier these days than they once were.

Producer
    I agree with MadMan, but I feel like I had already hatched this over the Kevin Hart thing with TGM. I just feel that if something as obvious as the resistance to harmful and stereotypical violent homophobic "jokes" (I think Billy Eichner summed it best), without an ounce of regret or trying to reconcile with its possibility of how hurtful that is when amplified by a public figure, is met with "wrong"x10 and the minority group that sentiment is aimed towards to is told that they just don't have to "watch/read/listen" to them, there's just a fundamental difference that can't be overcome.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I was referring to calls to cancel Hugh Jackman after he Tweeted a photo of a cop and a protestor hugging, with the word "solidarity" written underneath.

At the very worst, he was tone deaf.

No need to ruin the man's career and livelihood.

Stop being such entitled children, internet.

I love that feeling when you take a huge dump, and you feel like a brand new person right after.

So satisfying.

In completely, totally unrelated news, I just made a huge batch of bran muffins.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I've got some totally unrelated news too. I'm moving on the 24th of July and I haven't yet sold my current house. :nervous-look:
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I've got some totally unrelated news too. I'm moving on the 24th of July and I haven't yet sold my current house. :nervous-look:
    We can't wait to move to a new house, but we have to sell current one first. We cannot carry two mortgages.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hopefully you have some wiggle room in your sale price.

One thing I learned selling my house several years back: If it ain’t at the perfect price, people won’t make an offer below the price. It’s gotta be just right, then you instantly get five offers. It’s ducking weird.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    We can't wait to move to a new house, but we have to sell current one first. We cannot carry two mortgages.
    We’re probably going to stick with our current house until we move north. That may be dependent on the folks health and what not.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Hopefully you have some wiggle room in your sale price.

One thing I learned selling my house several years back: If it ain’t at the perfect price, people won’t make an offer below the price. It’s gotta be just right, then you instantly get five offers. It’s ducking weird.
    Not sure if anyone remembers here, I may not have mentioned on MC, but I bought real low and gutted the entire house. So it's completely updated. Everything is brand new.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Cancel culture isn’t a thing. Consequences for being a dickbag? Yes, that does happen. Most famous, notable people are also extremely bad at apologizing despite PR training.
    Last edited by Mal; 06-27-2020 at 03:31 AM.

It's most definitely a thing.

People calling for careers to end due to innocuous mistakes needs to stop.

Digging up something someone said 15+ years ago and calling to end their career even after an issued apology needs to stop.

It's most definitely a thing.

People calling for careers to end due to innocuous mistakes needs to stop.

Digging up something someone said 15+ years ago and calling to end their career even after an issued apology needs to stop.
    Who has really, truly lost their career though? James Gunn comes to mind and that guy is still making movies. Everyone knows Mel Gibson is a racist ass and he’s still got a few movies in Redbox.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Who has really, truly lost their career though? James Gunn comes to mind and that guy is still making movies. Everyone knows Mel Gibson is a racist ass and he’s still got a few movies in Redbox.
    It's more like a probation period of waiting it out.

Did Kevin Spacey ever go to trial?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    The only reason James Gunn is still making movies is because people stood up and said what happened to him was ridiculous.

Which is all I am saying. That this knee jerk reaction to destroy the person's life and career is ridiculous.

I'm split on the topic. Some people absolutely deserve to lose their careers and livelihoods because they were rapists. Some do not because they were being edge lords on myspace. Theres a line, and it's not very grey imo

I never said I was defending the actions of rapists.

I'm talking about people having their careers threatened because they said something stupid on social media. Sometimes many, many years ago.

My initial example was Hugh Jackman.

I never said I was defending the actions of rapists.
    I didn't mean to imply you were.

Could someone make me an avatar of the sax guy from The Lost Boys, please and thank you?

Just did thirty minutes on the incline trainer with a 20 pound vest on. To say I sweat some of the booze out is an understatement.

- - - - -
    +1 for E's even-handed moderation.

- - - - -
    Also I'm gonna run off and watch the original "Pet Sematary" now

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Also I'm gonna run off and watch the original "Pet Sematary" now
    At least you're not watching the remake.

Although the remake does have Lithgow in it.

QUIT TRYING TO TALK ME INTO WATCHING THE REMAKE

The remake is WORSE?!?!