Page 1841 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 841134117411791183118391840184118421843185118911941 ... LastLast
Results 46,001 to 46,025 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I thought Shannara was an MTV show. Did they change networks? Uh, to one that's shutting down? I'm guessing that show is no more, then.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I believe it just hit Netflix.

This place is dead today.

Run the Jewels were gonna be about 15 minutes from us in two weeks, and tickets went on sale today for 15 dollars. Had the day mapped out to grab up 2 tickets the minute tickets went on sale. Alas, bots hammered the site and tickets we're sold out within 30 seconds, preventing and many others from getting tickets.

Resale tickets popped up on sites for 145 within 20 minutes. The rage I had today about the central unfairness of this was interesting to think through.

At least we'll see them with Mitski and Lorde in April.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Bots have made going to popular concerts impossible.

I enjoy all types of cop/detective shows, too.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    What's the most embarassing thing you all like? It can be anything.
    Smoking. I'll go on a long trip or back home for a while and won't have any problem not smoking and will stop for long stretches at a time. Then I'll start again for a couple months because I just...enjoy it. And somehow that makes it even more embarrassing to me.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Smoking. I'll go on a long trip or back home for a while and won't have any problem not smoking and will stop for long stretches at a time. Then I'll start again for a couple months because I just...enjoy it. And somehow that makes it even more embarrassing to me.
    I hadn't thought of that. Guilty as charged as well.

The thing that brought my original question is how much I enjoy '80s Italian pop music.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    You should try 70's.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Yeaaaah Adriano Celentano is awesome.

- - - - -
    Just wanted to let you guys know that the second season of "Shannara Chronicles" is world's more fun than the first.

Sun times suspends Richard roeper for buying Twitter followers. Can some one tell me why this matters?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Journalistic integrity? Perception of being more important than you actually are? Penis measuring contest? I dunno.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well, Twitter follower numbers aren't meaningless. It's pretty much an extremely shaky form of currency now. It opens you up to endorsement deals and actual employment (I have applied to so many jobs where "How many social media followers do you have" is part of the application form), which means for a public figure, it can be mined for legal tender. Roeper is probably on the lower end of that risk, and his being mentioned in the NY Times expose is getting widely noticed just because the journalism world is as navel gazing as any other industry, but bots and hit farms are things that are Big Concernsin the media world.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Eh, they picked on Roeper because he's a soft target---an entertainment journalist---and nationally known. I'm pretty sure he's not the only person in his field to have bought twitter followers. (I have my suspicions here and there about certain sections of #filmtwitter.)

Social media is a form of advertising. We don't demand so much integrity from ads, so why demand it from a guy like Roeper? He wanted higher profile. So what? I can't believe his paper suspended him, especially in light of the bullshit at the LAT, LA Weekly, and NYT right now.

(Also, it's fucking hilarious that Jacobin was on the list too.)

(Also, also, the NYT "investigative journalism" angle on this is silly. The fake followers / media bots thing comes up like clockwork every couple of years. Each time it's a different group of companies and free advertising for a shady industry.)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Maybe they don't like Roeper and were looking for an excuse.

How long until Twitter makes it a rule that everyone needs to be "verified" and eliminate the bots?

is this even possible?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    They could kick the bots off tomorrow, easily. But twitter counts bots as part of their "Monthly Active Users" (or "MAUs," in Silly Valley Shithead speak). If they banned the bots (and the Nazis, and the Klan...), their MAUs would drop like a rock and so would their stock price.

Twitter is an open sewer because Twitter wants to be an open sewer. It's by design.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How long until Twitter makes it a rule that everyone needs to be "verified" and eliminate the bots?

is this even possible?
    I doubt they would ever take any kind of action on bots. Getting rid of bots would diminish Twitter's user base claim significantly. They're already a questionable business model as it is.

That's not even getting into the political fallout. Twitter is infamously staunchly apolitical and if Donald Trump's twitter followers suddenly drop by the tens of thousands, they're gonna be dragged into something they don't want to be in.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    They could kick the bots off tomorrow, easily. But twitter counts bots as part of their "Monthly Active Users" (or "MAUs," in Silly Valley Shithead speak). If they banned the bots (and the Nazis, and the Klan...), their MAUs would drop like a rock and so would their stock price.

Twitter is an open sewer because Twitter wants to be an open sewer. It's by design.
    Ha. Keep the Nazis and the Klan, make them verify themselves...

But that makes sense.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Also, guys, I hate to be the one to point this out but: Richard Roeper has never even reviewed "The Shannara Chronicles."

Let's keep on topic. After all, the thread title very clearly reads "Random Thoughts About the Shanarra Chronicles," not just like "Random Thoughts," where everybody goes off on whatever tangents suit them.

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on #Season3.

I tried to make a pizza yesterday, dough and all. Too much sauce and cheese on it, so I couldn't get it into the oven.

One of my biggest blunders of cooking ever.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

pro-tip - if you wanna load more stuff onto your pie, pop the crust into the oven with nothing on it for about 3 minutes to give it a little tensile strength, then pull it out, put your toppings on, then put it back in.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    pro-tip - if you wanna load more stuff onto your pie, pop the crust into the oven with nothing on it for about 3 minutes to give it a little tensile strength, then pull it out, put your toppings on, then put it back in.
    Noted! Totally makes sense.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter