Page 1616 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 616111615161566160616141615161616171618162616661716 ... LastLast
Results 40,376 to 40,400 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    How does discussing one of the most critically acclaimed musicians of the past decade equate to a conversation about Bay/Emmerich? Kanye has edged further and further away from mainstream popularity with each album. Disliking his music is probably closer to the plebeian viewpoint right now. He kind of lost me at Yeezus, too, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is still one of the best albums ever.

I do agree that he's generally and historically a weak lyricist (in the most technical sense), but that doesn't necessarily mean the music is bad. For example, Eminem basically crushes him as a lyricist in every technical respect (rhymes, wit, flow, storytelling, etc.), but he still doesn't generate better songs. Beastie Boys are all-time terrible lyricists, but still well-regarded to this day.

Also, I got no problem with Miley.
    I really don't care about critical or populist consensus. I am responding to the music as an individual.

Not every Kanye song is bad. When you stack him up against anyone who gives a shit about making real hip hop though... Tribe, De La, Kweli, Mos Def, Blue Sky Black Death, Cunninlynguists, Clear Soul Forces, People Under the Stairs, The Roots, Sage Francis, Shad etc and so forth he's just of no interest to me and never has been. I would agree that My Beautiful is probably his best album but again imo it's not a very good one. There's two or three solid tracks on that. Power is maybe the only one that I ever actually listen to for my own enjoyment.

Eminem hasn't made good music since The Marshall Mathers LP. The Beastie Boys are a different beast, see The In Sound from Way Out for example.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    @D_Davis I don't know if album cover art is still a thing anyone cares about, but that illustration you posted above strikes me as severely cool album cover art.
    Thanks! I'm actually going to do a more final version of that, a bit bigger, to have framed. This was a sketch. The final version will still be in the same sketchy style, but will include more and have more thought put into the layout.

Picking up the keys to our new house today. Exciting!

Situation:

Arrive home from work (in work truck), park. Go inside and shower. Pack up family in family vehicle to go see Christmas lights display. As we're leaving, notice a brand new large gas can sitting beside the drivers side door of my truck. Investigate, gas can has a small amount of gas in it.

Conclusion, response?

Just curious if your reaction is the same as mine.

I had an afternoon of petty annoyances capped off with standing in the grocery store parking lot with a full cart and snapping my key in two in the trunk. That was fun.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Situation:

Arrive home from work (in work truck), park. Go inside and shower. Pack up family in family vehicle to go see Christmas lights display. As we're leaving, notice a brand new large gas can sitting beside the drivers side door of my truck. Investigate, gas can has a small amount of gas in it.

Conclusion, response?

Just curious if your reaction is the same as mine.
    Well, my reaction is "what the hell"?

You don't remember that gas can at all before when you were coming home from work, right?

Someone tried to siphon your truck.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Someone tried to siphon your truck.
    This is the logical answer.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Fell on the ice and chipped my tailbone on Friday night. That was fun.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Ouch! Feel better.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Thanks. It should hopefully heal soon.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Mara you need a less stressful job.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    You broke your ass? Ouch.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Heh yep. I fell while salting the parking lot at my work on Friday. My phone was dead Friday night so I didn't post about it until today. They took me to the hospital and after x rays they discharged me. I'm taking Aleve for the pain. It could have been a lot worse.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Merry Christmas, peeps.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My mind has been blown. Just discovered that an acquaintance was on Twin Peaks. Actually, she was only in the first episode, but still ... cool. She played Harriet Hayward.

I don't know her that well, but she's working on my next show as a movement director. So maybe I'll get to know her a little better.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Got all moved in to the new place this past weekend. It's so nice and quiet - almost like living in the mountains with all the trees around and our big lot.

The neighbors even came over the night we moved in and brought us brownies, and the dude told me he's always down to drink beer and shoot hoops in his driveway. And just earlier that day I was thinking about installing a hoop.

And the dogs LOVE the giant lawn. Monty has already discovered the fun of chasing all the critters around.

I think it's going to be a great place to live.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    My mind has been blown. Just discovered that an acquaintance was on Twin Peaks. Actually, she was only in the first episode, but still ... cool. She played Harriet Hayward.

I don't know her that well, but she's working on my next show as a movement director. So maybe I'll get to know her a little better.
    That's so awesome. I remember wondering why Harriet was abandoned after the pilot.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Got all moved in to the new place this past weekend. It's so nice and quiet - almost like living in the mountains with all the trees around and our big lot.

The neighbors even came over the night we moved in and brought us brownies, and the dude told me he's always down to drink beer and shoot hoops in his driveway. And just earlier that day I was thinking about installing a hoop.

And the dogs LOVE the giant lawn. Monty has already discovered the fun of chasing all the critters around.

I think it's going to be a great place to live.
    Sounds it. Now that you've purchased a home, do any of your previous views on home ownership and capitalism change?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Just went shopping when it was -15F below to get some ingredients for Grasshopper Pie for Christmas Dinner tomorrow. Yeah, I'd rather shop when its -15F and early, then later in the day with the mass of humanity doing last minute crazy shopping.

However, I hear that once the temp actually approaches zero, the winds will pick up and it will feel colder than it is right now. Have fun out there!

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Just went shopping when it was -15F below to get some ingredients for Grasshopper Pie for Christmas Dinner tomorrow. Yeah, I'd rather shop when its -15F and early, then later in the day with the mass of humanity doing last minute crazy shopping.

However, I hear that once the temp actually approaches zero, the winds will pick up and it will feel colder than it is right now. Have fun out there!
    Yarp. It's so cold, the witch and her tit left town.

35 and mild here. This is the only day of the year where I get pissed when it doesn't snow. >

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Alan Turing was posthumously pardoned by the Queen for being gay. I'm sure that completely makes up for his being chemically castrated. Way to make yourselves feel better about something horrible you did, royal family.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Sounds it. Now that you've purchased a home, do any of your previous views on home ownership and capitalism change?
    This is the 3rd home I've owned, so no. It was all just an economic decision - mortgage is now cheaper than rent in Seattle for a place we'd like to live.

This is the 3rd home I've owned, so no. It was all just an economic decision - mortgage is now cheaper than rent in Seattle for a place we'd like to live.
    Mortgage is almost always cheaper than rent...