PDA

View Full Version : The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (book of the month)

lovejuice
05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
june is dreamdead's selection, and by popular demand, it's The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne. seriously i don't think this novel needs an introduction, but here we go, from wiki.

As its title suggests, the book is ostensibly Tristram's narration of his life story. But it is one of the central jokes of the novel that he cannot explain anything simply, that he must make explanatory diversions to add context and colour to his tale, to the extent that we do not even reach Tristram's own birth until Volume III. Consequently, apart from Tristram as narrator, the most familiar and important characters in the book are his father Walter, his mother, his Uncle Toby, Toby's servant Trim, and a supporting cast of popular minor characters including Doctor Slop and the parson Yorick. Most of the action is concerned with domestic upsets or misunderstandings, which find humour in the opposing temperaments of Walter – splenetic, rational and somewhat sarcastic – and Uncle Toby, who is gentle, uncomplicated and a lover of his fellow man.
In between such events, Tristram as narrator finds himself discoursing at length on sexual practices, insults, the influence of one's name, noses, as well as explorations of obstetrics, siege warfare and philosophy, as he struggles to marshal his material and finish the story of his life.

Sycophant
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I've had a copy for a while now; I made it through about 40 pages roughly 18 months ago. This will be good motivation to try it again. I'm in.

Mara
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I've heard about this book. I will do my best to get a copy!

monolith94
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
About how long is it?

megladon8
05-30-2008, 11:32 PM
About how long is it?

About 700 pages.

dreamdead
05-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Eeks! I thought love/juice told me this was July's pick and that I had plenty of time to get a headstart. Well, I know what I'm doing next week while away from work. :P

It should be fun, though. Been meaning to read this for a couple years now.

Mara
05-31-2008, 02:54 AM
Barnes and Noble didn't have it. I may need to order it online, which will cut into my reading time significantly.

Kurosawa Fan
05-31-2008, 03:54 AM
I'm gonna have to pass on this one. I have so many books on my shelf that are begging to be read, and I keep putting them off for books of the month. A 700 page book would set me back too much. Sorry dreamdead.

Melville
05-31-2008, 04:10 AM
My copy of the book is only 500 pages, with fairly large print. The 700-page editions are probably loaded with lengthy introductions or notes. Anyway, everybody should read this book, or at least start it—you'd probably pretty quickly decide whether or not you like its style. It's funny as hell and probably the most consistently witty and inventive book I've read.

Mara
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Okay, I ordered it online. I should get it next week.

Sycophant
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
While sitting in the theater waiting for The Fall to start yesterday, I read the first couple of chapters. The book's really a joy to read. Kind of slow-going as my 21st century reading habits are taking a while to adjust to Sterne's witty, emdash-heavy, whizbang 18th century English style.

Mara
06-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm about 100 pages in and it's very funny and frustrating.

I'm worried that the balance between the two is going to shift during the next 500 pages.

lovejuice
06-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Shall We Dance? (Suo, 1996) 86

you = good taste in movie

Sycophant
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
you = good taste in movieWord. The movie's wonderful (I posted a few brief thoughts in FDT, I think). I can't imagine what the American remake must have been like.

lovejuice
06-26-2008, 08:47 PM
this month is hell for me. i probably won't finish the book until next month. sorry, dreamdead.

Sycophant
06-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, is anybody still reading this? I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read any in like three weeks. It is notoriously difficult to complete. But I will finish it. Just not in June. Or July, August, maybe even September.

dreamdead
06-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm still chugging through it, but I got swamped at work and got such a late start that I'm betting I'm behind all of you right now on the reading. But it will be finished and hopefully in July.

I love the ornateness of the prose, though, and the circular way that Sterne utilizes backstory through what I've read.

Mara
06-28-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm about 200 pages in, but I've slowed considerably since starting my new job. I want to get through it... I'll post thoughts when I'm further along.