PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Watashi
05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Not a sequel anymore, but a complete reboot.

UPDATES EXCLUSIVE: 'Spider-Man 4' Officially Has No Start Date As Of Today Because Of Script Problems; Sony "Unlikely" To Make Scheduled May 5, 2011, Release Date

BREAKING NEWS! Mike Fleming and I have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity. This means that Raimi and the cast including star Tobey Maguire are out. There will be no Spider-Man 4. Instead, Mike Fleming is told, the studio will focus on a reboot script by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast. All this took place today at meeting on the lot today. An official Sony Pictures news release about it is expected.

My sources tell me that Raimi told Sony Pictures: "I can't make your date. I can't go forward creatively." And, so, once he said "That's it", Sony Pictures co-chairman Pascal and Columbia Pictures' Matt Tolmach decided they didn't want to replace him and instead chose to reboot the franchise. Insiders also tell me that Tobey Maguire heard the news in a phone call with Amy today. I'm told Tobey wasn't upset. "He's made 3 great Spider-Man movies. He's done really well. But he's the kind of guy who, if Sam wanted to go forward, would have been there for Sam and the studio. Absolutely."

Mike Fleming has heard that, from Spidey, Raimi could move to World Of Warcraft, or to The Given Day, that terrific novel by Dennis Lehane, author of Shutter Island and Mystic River. Both are worthy projects, but World Of Warcraft is a huge franchise.

DavidSeven
05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
If by perfect you mean "looks a lot like Tobey Maguire" then sure. The original leads were poorly cast and had absolutely no chemistry together anyway, so any potential replacements couldn't be worse.

megladon8
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
They're also apparently shooting both movies back-to-back.

number8
05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
If by perfect you mean "looks a lot like Tobey Maguire" then sure. The original leads were poorly cast and had absolutely no chemistry together anyway, so any potential replacements couldn't be worse.

Yep.

Qrazy
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Maguire was well cast. Dunst wasn't.

Grouchy
05-28-2008, 03:47 AM
This is true, but Maguire was a lot better. I'd have Alicia Witt as Mary Jane, except then she'd be a lot older than any of these other Peter Parkers.

I sense disaster anyway. You know, if the studios had just left a little space between Spiderman 2 and 3, allowing Raimi to make another type of movie in the interim, we'd be shooting ourselves with horse tranquilizers to wait for the third one. Instead, Raimi and everyone just blew the third one and I don't give much of a fuck about more sequels.

Qrazy
05-28-2008, 04:47 AM
This is true, but Maguire was a lot better. I'd have Alicia Witt as Mary Jane, except then she'd be a lot older than any of these other Peter Parkers.

I sense disaster anyway. You know, if the studios had just left a little space between Spiderman 2 and 3, allowing Raimi to make another type of movie in the interim, we'd be shooting ourselves with horse tranquilizers to wait for the third one. Instead, Raimi and everyone just blew the third one and I don't give much of a fuck about more sequels.

Plus now Raimi and Elfman won't work together anymore... perhaps the best reason yet to dislike Spidey 3.

Ivan Drago
05-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Plus now Raimi and Elfman won't work together anymore... perhaps the best reason yet to dislike Spidey 3.

Eh, I liked Christopher Young's score in Spidey 3.

But the Fugit kid doesn't seem to be a bad choice to replace Spidey. It will be interesting to see who replaces Dunst. Is Raimi planning on directing 4 & 5? If so, that and James Vanderbilt writing the film grab my interest.

Dukefrukem
05-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Maguire was well cast. Dunst wasn't.

Agreed. Why doesn't he want to do a 4th or 5th film?

Qrazy
05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Agreed. Why doesn't he want to do a 4th or 5th film?

I dunno but if I was in his position I'd quit while I was somewhat ahead too... franchises almost always get worse the longer they continue... and the third already marked somewhat of a decline. He's smart to get out now.

lovejuice
05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I dunno but if I was in his position I'd quit while I was somewhat ahead too...

and that's not even hundred percent true at the moment. (in a sense that they are not "ahead" anymore.)

Kurosawa Fan
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't really care much about this franchise, but I'll be the lone voice thus far to say that Fugit would be a terrible replacement. He's been borderline bad in every film I've seen him in, Almost Famous included (even though I love the movie). This announcement doesn't make me any more excited to see a new installment.

Wryan
05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Fugit is not aging well.

number8
05-28-2008, 06:13 PM
and that's not even hundred percent true at the moment. (in a sense that they are not "ahead" anymore.)

3 made shit-ton of money, but 4 wouldn't. So he did quit while he was ahead.

Dukefrukem
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I know they're a lot of haters to this franchise, but I love all three movies.

megladon8
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
According to CBR, the studio got in touch with LatinoReview (the website where this Patrick Fugit/Michael Angarano rumor began) and told them that "there is no truth to the rumor that the studio is looking to replace Tobey Maguire in the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man in future 'Spider-Man' movies".

Qrazy
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Well then, looks like all our speculation was for naught.

Spinal
05-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I like both Maguire and Dunst in those movies.

Qrazy
05-31-2008, 12:38 AM
I like both Maguire and Dunst in those movies.

You would!

Watashi
09-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Looks like Raimi, Maguire, and Dunst are coming back for a 4th and 5th Spiderman and both films will be shot back-to-back. And The Lizard will be the primary villain for the 4th film.

Winston*
09-06-2008, 12:46 AM
So would that be Dylan Baker then?

Watashi
09-06-2008, 12:48 AM
So would that be Dylan Baker then?
Yes, indeed.

EyesWideOpen
09-06-2008, 12:49 AM
i'm done with spider-man films especially with the same tired group of people behind them.

number8
09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

MadMan
09-06-2008, 01:43 AM
I have no interest in seeing a forth film. And I liked the third movie. And the second one. But I dislike the first one immensely.

Dead & Messed Up
09-06-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm down. I admire Marvel's balls, in regards to how they're trying to really make movies the new comics. First the cross-overs, and now the larger story stretched over two issues.

Rowland
09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm all for it, though I'd like to see Raimi tackle a smaller project before diving back into the Spider-Man pool.

megladon8
09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I think it'd be cool to cut the budget for the movie down by like a good $100 million, and have it focus on better writing, plot and character development.

Have two big action sequences (and intermittent smaller ones), but none of this trying to be mind-blowingly epic through the whole film.

Ezee E
09-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm all for it, though I'd like to see Raimi tackle a smaller project before diving back into the Spider-Man pool.
I think he is already in the process of a different movie.

Dukefrukem
09-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Awesome news. I love all three movies and hope they continue to go to Spiderman 12.

The Mike
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Awesome news. I love all three movies and hope they continue to go to Spiderman 12.

Heck, they could go to 13. It worked for the Apollo movies.

megladon8
10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
So I'm sure everyone's aware of all the crap floating around with Raimi talking about the next two films. If not, here's an article/interview... (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/10/16/raimi-talks-spider-man-sequel-double-shoot-futures-of-dunst-the-lizard/)

“I’m really excited about Spider-Man, and I’m hoping to direct it. I don’t have a script yet, but production would start probably by March of 2010, I’m guessing. It sounds like a long time away, but we need a script first, and a lot of pre-production has to take place.”

My biggest concern is that I don't want Sam Raimi to be remembered as "that guy who made some cool, clever films, then dedicated the rest of his career to the Spider-Man franchise".

I just don't think he has much more to offer the series - we've seen everything he's got.

I want him to move on to some other projects just as much as I want someone else to come in and breathe new life into the characters.

Ezee E
10-21-2008, 03:23 AM
My idea:

Evil Dead VS. Spider-Man

Dukefrukem
10-21-2008, 04:54 AM
I say bring it on. If that's what he's meant to do that so be it.

Dukefrukem
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Talk of morbius in Spidey 4. Discuss.

number8
01-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Talk of morbius in Spidey 4. Discuss.

OK. The movie will suck.

megladon8
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
OK. The movie will suck.

Why?

Isn't it you whose mantra has always been "there are no bad characters, just bad writers"?

Morbius may not be the most interesting villain, but I've never found Spider-Man himself to be a very interesting character. Nor do I find Doc Ock to be an interesting villain, but both he and Spidey were fascinating characters to watch in Spider-Man 2 because they were written with such heart.

If they approach Morbius the right way, it could be great.

As I've said many times, I really like how Raimi's Spider-Man films have the villains as physical embodiments of Parker's personal issues. Peter struggled to fully understand his new powers in the first film, and the power-drunk Green Goblin was a great match. In the second film, Parker couldn't balance all these different aspects of his life, so the villain Doc Ock is a man with eight limbs.

If they find the right angle with Morbius, I'm all for it.

Watashi
01-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Wow, meg.

Wow.

megladon8
01-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Wow, meg.

Wow.

Uh...what?

number8
01-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Wats is bewildered by the fact that you missed my very obvious pun.

As am I.

megladon8
01-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Wats is bewildered by the fact that you missed my very obvious pun.

No I picked up on that, but I thought your sentiment was genuine.

Ezee E
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
No I picked up on that, but I thought your sentiment was genuine.
... It's okay if you missed the pun. I did too.

megladon8
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
... It's okay if you missed the pun. I did too.

No, I actually did get it, honestly.

I just also, honestly, thought number8 was being serious in saying that Morbius would ruin the movie.

Watashi
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
No, I actually did get it, honestly.

I just also, honestly, thought number8 was being serious in saying that Morbius would ruin the movie.
It's okay, meg. You don't have to pretend you got it to not humilate yourself.

Dukefrukem
01-23-2009, 01:12 AM
I agree with Meg on this. A perfect example of this is the scarcrow in Batman Begins. Talk about a villain with a boring threat! But they made it work and they made it work very well. Goblin worked well in the 1st. Doc Ock worked very well in 2. Venom would have worked had they made a whole movie dedicated to it.

Ezee E
01-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Hopefully they just stick with The Lizard.

Or if they follow the comics, The Lizard and Spider-Man team up to stop Morbius, only for The Lizard to later create the Sinister Six. Something I can see happening for the fifth film afterward. Ugh.

megladon8
01-23-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm surprised they haven't done Vulture yet.

Sycophant
01-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Out of all these villains, Mobius is the only one with a name that doesn't pain me to hear. I say they go with that one.

Ezee E
01-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Out of all these villains, Mobius is the only one with a name that doesn't pain me to hear. I say they go with that one.
You mean you can't take Electro seriously?

Sycophant
01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
You mean you can't take Electro seriously?

No.

Though it's better than Lizard and Vulture.

megladon8
01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Actually, I'm still totally down with the Bruce Campbell as Mysterio idea.

That would rock.

Dukefrukem
01-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Actually, I'm still totally down with the Bruce Campbell as Mysterio idea.

That would rock.

Holy shit yeah it would.

megladon8
01-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Holy shit yeah it would.

It was rumored that he had that role for, I think, the second film.

It was just going to be a minor villain type role, if I remember correctly. Doc Ock would still be the major villain, and Mysterio is just someone Spidey had to get rid of along the way.

I think it'd still work well with that. I'm not sure how good of a main-villain Mysterio would be, but I think it'd be a fun way to open the film up. Have it all open with New York topsy-turvy from Mysterio's illusions.

Dukefrukem
01-23-2009, 02:28 AM
btw why does Spiderman in the thread title have a hyphen?

Sycophant
01-23-2009, 02:39 AM
btw why does Spiderman in the thread title have a hyphen?

Because:

1. That's what the movies are called
2. That's what the character is called
3. That's the official spelling
4. It's correct

Come on, man.

Dukefrukem
01-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Because:

1. That's what the movies are called
2. That's what the character is called
3. That's the official spelling
4. It's correct

Come on, man.

Wow, it's true. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiderman)

Sycophant
01-23-2009, 02:44 AM
SURPRISING TO NO ONE ELSE.

Ezee E
01-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Why do I spend so much time on Match-Cut?

Dukefrukem
01-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Why do I spend so much time on Match-Cut?

cuz it's fun!!!!

number8
01-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Perverts usually spell the name without a hyphen.

EyesWideOpen
01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
It was rumored that he had that role for, I think, the second film.

It was just going to be a minor villain type role, if I remember correctly. Doc Ock would still be the major villain, and Mysterio is just someone Spidey had to get rid of along the way.

I think it'd still work well with that. I'm not sure how good of a main-villain Mysterio would be, but I think it'd be a fun way to open the film up. Have it all open with New York topsy-turvy from Mysterio's illusions.

Mysterio for sure has the potential to be an excellent main villain if given the right story. Read Kevin Smith's daredevil arc or the current Wolverine arc by Mark Millar as examples.

Ezee E
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Mysterio for sure has the potential to be an excellent main villain if given the right story. Read Kevin Smith's daredevil arc or the current Wolverine arc by Mark Millar as examples.
Tell me more.

EyesWideOpen
01-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Tell me more.

In Wolverine: Old Man Logan we find out that a bunch of big name Marvel villains (Bullseye, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Omega Red, etc) were attacking the X-Mansion so he goes crazy and kills them all. It turns out that Mysterio was fucking with his head and where he thought he was attacking villains he ended up slaughtering all the X-Men.

Ivan Drago
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
While channel-surfing the other day, I came across the 90s Spider-Man animated series, and the episode was of Parker trying to reverse a mutation that led him to grow four more arms, and Morbius was trying to stop him(? don't remember), but anyway that mutation eventually turned Parker into a monster. But that got me to thinking, would that be a good storyline to incorporate Morbius in?

Ezee E
03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
While channel-surfing the other day, I came across the 90s Spider-Man animated series, and the episode was of Parker trying to reverse a mutation that led him to grow four more arms, and Morbius was trying to stop him(? don't remember), but anyway that mutation eventually turned Parker into a monster. But that got me to thinking, would that be a good storyline to incorporate Morbius in?
I hope not.

Dukefrukem
03-13-2009, 06:23 PM

I like it and I remember that episode too. It would be cool to see Spidey turn into the villain (sorta speaks).

Watashi
03-13-2009, 10:19 PM
After watching The Spectacular Spider-Man, I don't care what happens to the movies because it will always be inferior.

Acapelli
03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
After watching The Spectacular Spider-Man, I don't care what happens to the movies because it will always be inferior.
such a great show

Ivan Drago
03-14-2009, 01:01 AM

Is that show still on or is it cancelled? Because I'm interested in seeing it.

Dukefrukem
05-08-2009, 03:06 AM
“I co-created Venom,” he told MTV news “He was in the last ‘Spider-Man’ movie. And I think he might make an appearance here in the next one, too.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=7357

The Mike
05-08-2009, 03:10 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=7357

Dude doesn't have any say on the movies, from what I know. Sounds like pompousassness.

Grouchy
05-08-2009, 04:53 AM
The Punisher appeared on those episodes if I remember it right.

It would be cool if that arc was adapted into a movie, I agree.

number8
05-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Dude doesn't have any say on the movies, from what I know. Sounds like pompousassness.

Ding ding.

Dukefrukem
05-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Confirmed shooting in Ireland

Sam Raimi wanted complete control over the fourth instalment, which apparently included shooting in Dundalk.

A Marvel spokesperson, Ms Aprile Fulday said: "We are delighted to be bringing one of our most celebrated comic and screen icons, Spiderman, to Dundalk, Ireland."

The Mike
05-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Aprile Fulday? Riiiiiighhhhhhhht...... :crazy:

Dukefrukem
05-16-2009, 03:56 AM

hahahhaha. I didn't notice that. Why would this just be coming out today then? Strange.

Dukefrukem
05-16-2009, 03:57 AM

edit: found it.

Sorry guys, this is embarassing, but I just found out from the Dundalk Democrat that this was a joke, and due to a computer error it was released online yesterday.

It looks like real news is about the same:

Raimi states "I've just started working on the next installment of the Spider-Man series. Screenwriter David Lindsay-Abaire is in New York right now writing the screenplay and I am going to receive a draft of it in about three weeks I think."

The Mike
05-16-2009, 03:59 AM
hahahhaha. I didn't notice that. Why would this just be coming out today then? Strange.

Maybe it's Irish April Ful's Day? :lol:

number8
05-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Here's some real news. Alan Cumming is playing Green Goblin in Julie Taymor's Spidey Musical.

Ezee E
05-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Here's some real news. Alan Cumming is playing Green Goblin in Julie Taymor's Spidey Musical.
I'm still all about going to New York in February/March to see that.

Dukefrukem
05-24-2009, 08:12 PM
admits mistakes, wants to fix them in 4

As far as Spider-Man, I've learned a lot of lessons about what people didn't like and missteps that I'd made. But I learned those lessons on the previous two, I was just a little quieter about them. I made a lot of mistakes, and it's part of the reason I so want to make this next story of Peter Parker."

The Spider-Man films, I've made mistakes, but I really do look at them as things that I've learned, and hope that when I apply what I've learned to this next one, I really make a film that people enjoy and is really true to the character in a fresh, original way. That's my goal

Sycophant
05-24-2009, 08:23 PM
I take this to mean that there will be almost no action sequences or villainy in Spider-Man 4 and will consist almost entirely of Young People having Young People Problems to amusing musical cues, involving much delightful mugging for the camera.

YES.

number8
05-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm glad that he made a movie for half a billion dollars and decided it was a learning curve and now wants another chance.

Sycophant
05-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm glad that he made a movie for half a billion dollars and decided it was a learning curve and now wants another chance.

Um, while it was greeted with a lot of disappointment from some very vocal people, didn't it still manage to make almost 900 million for Sony worldwide? And its budget was more like a quarter billion? I mean, that's still a success from the studio's point of view, right?

Sycophant
05-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I mean, it's not uncommon for a director to look at all of his films as learning experiences. He sees missteps in his films, and I think most directors--if being honest--will cop to mistakes being made.

number8
05-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I know, and I would rather he says this honestly than insist that Spider-Man 3 was a good movie, but there's something about it that rubs me the wrong way. I mean, it's the second most expensive movie ever made and he's just basically saying, "Yeah, lots of people didn't like it. It's not the best. Let me try again, you'll like this one." It doesn't really make me want to see it. At all.

Also, with other directors, that learning curve is by trying out new things. Getting experience. That's different from making a sequel of the same movie with the same character over and over.

Dukefrukem
05-24-2009, 09:06 PM
8 I think you mentioned this before in one of the Spiderman threads, but Raimi was just appealing to the studio with the third installment. They were pushing for the third villain because they didn't know if there would be a 4th film, and the ending result was too much going on in such a little time. That's why venom's appearance sucked so much. Think of the direction Raimi could have went with if they let him work the syndicate into the story himself. If he had an entire movie to play with.

There's no doubt in my mind that 4 will be better than 3.

Ezee E
05-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'm glad he admits it was awful basically. At least I know he won't be reusing stuff from the third movie.

trotchky
05-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Raimi's neocon suck-ups bother me more than his callous disregard for Sony's cash.

megladon8
05-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I think it takes some balls to admit that your own movie with a $500 million budget wasn't good.

I still wish they'd get someone else to take over the franchise, but I admit I'm eager to see what he has up his sleeve.

Dukefrukem
05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Where do you get $500 mil from?

megladon8
05-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Where do you get $500 mil from?

That's how must it cost.

Between the film's production and the advertising budget, it cost $500 million.

Dukefrukem
05-26-2009, 01:43 AM
That's how must it cost.

Between the film's production and the advertising budget, it cost $500 million.

$250+ mil on advertising? WTF? It cost MORE to advertise than it did to make?

megladon8
05-26-2009, 01:45 AM
$250+ mil on advertising? WTF? It cost MORE to advertise than it did to make?

Yeah, that's not all that uncommon.

I bet Fox spent more on advertising Wolverine than they did making it.

Dukefrukem
05-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Yeah, that's not all that uncommon.

I bet Fox spent more on advertising Wolverine than they did making it.

I'm obviously out of the Hollywood 'how to make money' loop but I guess they're thinking long term investment from DVD sales and TV showings + comcast on demand crap and stuff. I can see spending $100 mil on advertising, esp during the Super Bowl and high profile events but that $250 number blew my mind.

Dukefrukem
05-26-2009, 01:50 AM
According to the-numbers (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/SPID3.php), if it made 900 mil WW, that's 300 mil profit, + 150 mil from DVD sales, + 33 mil TV rights.. so I guess they do make a lot of that back pretty fast. Still a win for Hollywood.

Ezee E
05-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Generally duke, when you factor in the budget to make the movie, that's also the amount it will cost the studio to advertise it. There's no official documentation, it's just what they say.

This is where studios, directors, etc get in trouble over gross %. Studios can forge the numbers all they want into saying how much they put into advertising.

Dukefrukem
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Spiderman 4 poster.... also Iron Man 2, Shrek 4 and Oobermind (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41287) - May 6th, 2011

Dukefrukem
06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
this is weird....

Thanks to a scooper at SHH, we've learned that during a Q&A with Ted Raimi and Michael Papajohn at Wizard World Philadelphia, Papajohn (aka the carjacker/original killer of Uncle Ben from the Spider-Man films) said that he would be reprising his role for Spider-Man 4. He then proceeded to say if he told us what his role entailed, he'd have to kill us.

A flashback?

Grouchy
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
But... I though that Spiderman 3 established Sandman as the real killer.

Skitch
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM

No...the cops implied it, but it wasn't true.

Qrazy
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
No...the cops implied it, but it wasn't true.

No, he did kill him. But he didn't do it intentionally. He accidentally shot him when his partner scared him. Although I"m not sure where he went since Spiderman chased down the getaway car. Fucking retconning.

Dead & Messed Up
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM

It wasn't his fault. He had his gun aimed at someone and then the other guy tapped him on the shoulder and the gun went off.

He's not a bad person!

:sad:

EvilShoe
06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
He's not a bad person!

:sad:
Not yet. Wait till retcon.

Skitch
06-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Your right, thats what it was.

number8
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Obviously, that dude is not dead, and he's coming back as Carnage. Or Morbius. Or Norman Osborn reincarnated. Or whatever.

This series sucks.

Grouchy
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Obviously, that dude is not dead, and he's coming back as Carnage. Or Morbius. Or Norman Osborn reincarnated. Or whatever.

This series sucks.
Of those three options, Carnage sounds like the most logical.

I still want my Bruce Campbell as Kraven movie.

number8
06-23-2009, 07:04 PM
If Raimi has any balls to do something meta, he should cast Ted Raimi as Mysterio. Make him a special effects wizard who's out of work because everybody's turning to CGI.

Grouchy
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
If Raimi has any balls to do something meta, he should cast Ted Raimi as Mysterio. Make him a special effects wizard who's out of work because everybody's turning to CGI.
I approve of this idea.

Qrazy
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
We need to finally see The Lizard. That's what we need.

Dead & Messed Up
06-23-2009, 07:33 PM
We need to finally see The Lizard. That's what we need.

Indeed, because this series has been woefully short on scientists transformed by their creations into Jekyll/Hyde monstrosities.

I'd much rather this than the other options listed so far.

Dukefrukem
06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Indeed, because this series has been woefully short on scientists transformed by their creations into Jekyll/Hyde monstrosities.

I'd much rather this than the other options listed so far.

Morbius?

Dead & Messed Up
06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Morbius?

Nah. Lizard's better.

megladon8
06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I think a Kraven movie could be neat, but I'm sure they'd have to stick something liek Carnage in there somewhere, ala Spider-Man 3 where they stuck Venom in because not enough people knew Sandman.

I do want to see the Lizard, but I don't see him as a villain who could carry a whole movie.

NickGlass
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Soon-to-be Oscar Best Picture nominee(s).

Dukefrukem
07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Gary Ross has been brought on board to do a rewrite on Columbia's "Spider-Man 4."

progress.... (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i4922fa0cb13ab365f29d85ce18c b012b)

megladon8
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Bruce Campbell describes his part in Spidey 4 as "major", and says filming starts in January. (http://www.accesshollywood.com/bruce-campbell-spider-man-4-shooting-in-january-villainous-role-in-the-works_article_22863)

Dukefrukem
09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
awesome news!

megladon8
09-14-2009, 07:07 PM
It'd be so, so awesome if they actually went with the Bruce Campbell as Mysterio idea.

Sycophant
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
If they can have him just reprise his role as the maitre d', but elevate it to a truly "major" role, I'd be happy.

megladon8
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
If they can have him just reprise his role as the maitre d', but elevate it to a truly "major" role, I'd be happy.

The maitre d' is Mysterio.

Problem solved, everyone's happy.

Sycophant
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I can dig it.

Dead & Messed Up
09-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh, he's just being cheeky. When Spider-Man 2 came out, he announced that he was the "only one in the film who defeats him," leading fans to speculate on a larger role.

I like his small roles just fine. No need to get obnoxious.

number8
09-15-2009, 12:59 AM
All his roles in the past 3 movies have been major. In the first one, he gave Spider-Man his name. In the second one, he's the only one to successfully thwart Peter. In the third one, he almost helped make the Spider-Marriage happen!

Also, I like the theory that all of those characters are the same person, who has a real problem holding down a job.

The Mike
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
So he'll play the actor playing Doc Ock or Goblin in the movie about Spider-Man that's being released in the movie world. That's a major part.

megladon8
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Also, I like the theory that all of those characters are the same person, who has a real problem holding down a job.

As I said before, they should make this character Mysterio.

Hell, they could even throw in a real-world scenario by having him frustrated with having to change jobs so frequently, unable to find something that pays the bills due to today's temultuous economy, and he turns to crime.

Inspired by the city's recent surge in costumed menaces, he dons a costume and becomes Mysterio.

It's like the Spider-Man franchise's answer to Nolan's thoughts on "escalation".

Ivan Drago
09-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought Spider-Man 4 and 5 are being filmed at the same time?

And I'd be down for Bruce Campbell as Mysterio.

number8
09-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Meh. I still like my idea of Ted Raimi as Mysterio better.

megladon8
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Rachel McAdams is Black Cat? (http://movies.ign.com/articles/104/1043457p1.html)

Dukefrukem
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
please no

megladon8
11-09-2009, 10:06 PM
please no

Why?

Rachel McAdams is good.

Dukefrukem
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Why?

Rachel McAdams is good.

Mainly because of the villain. You want the Black Cat over other villains?

megladon8
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM

I don't care who the villain is as long as the writing is good.

Everyone including me wanted Venom, and look what happened there.

Spun Lepton
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM

As long as they don't try to cram too many in there, I'm open to whichever villain(s) they pick.

Spun Lepton
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't care who the villain is as long as the writing is good.

Everyone including me wanted Venom, and look what happened there.

Venom wasn't the problem with Part 3. Clashing egos was the problem.

number8
11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I love Black Cat.

Spun Lepton
11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Troof. Also, if you don't want to see Rachel McAdams in skin-tight leather, I seriously worry about you. :D

megladon8
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
John Malkovich as The Vulture? (http://www.cinematical.com/2009/12/08/spider-man-4-john-malkovich-the-vulture/)

Adam
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes, please

Acapelli
12-09-2009, 12:51 AM
but god no to turning felicia hardy into the vulturess

Ivan Drago
12-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I thought they were going forward with The Lizard being the only villain for the 4th movie?

Dukefrukem
12-09-2009, 02:09 AM
I thought they were going forward with The Lizard being the only villain for the 4th movie?

I thought they were going forward with the Black Cat as the 4th and only villain .

Acapelli
12-09-2009, 02:28 AM
black cat really isn't really a villain though, at least not in the same sense that doc ock, the green goblin, the vulture, etc are. she's a cat burglar that has a sort of flirtacious relationship with spider-man

Morris Schæffer
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Chuck Norris should play the villain....as Chuck Norris.

Dukefrukem
12-09-2009, 11:38 AM
black cat really isn't really a villain though, at least not in the same sense that doc ock, the green goblin, the vulture, etc are. she's a cat burglar that has a sort of flirtacious relationship with spider-man

I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what the Black Cat is....

Acapelli
12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
she's just a foil to spider-man. a foil that gets him all hot and bothered

lovejuice
12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Chuck Norris should play the villain....as Chuck Norris.
but the movie won't have a happy ending. :cry:

megladon8
12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
she's just a foil to spider-man. a foil that gets him all hot and bothered

She's pretty much Catwoman.

Ezee E
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
She's pretty much Catwoman.
By pretty much, you mean is.

Fezzik
12-09-2009, 06:24 PM

I'd heard a Kraven the Hunter / Lizard story with Parker caught in the middle once he realizes who the Lizard is.

number8
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Black Cat and Catwoman's relationship is a fascinating one, because they seem to influence one another. Catwoman clearly came into the scene first, but Black Cat did a lot of the things Catwoman's known for first. Including the black leather suit.

The whole antihero-steady love interest for Batman thing didn't come into play until the late 80's-early 90's, a full decade after Black Cat-Spidey did it first.

It's a shame that, if you put her in a movie now, most people would assume she's a Catwoman ripoff.

Acapelli
12-09-2009, 08:25 PM
what 8 said

catwoman as we know her today didn't show up until batman: year one

Grouchy
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd heard a Kraven the Hunter / Lizard story with Parker caught in the middle once he realizes who the Lizard is.
Best one I've heard so far.

Skitch
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Oh please god yes plllleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseee.... ........

MadMan
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Best one I've heard so far.No idea who Kraven the Hunter is, but having the Lizard appear in the next movie would be a step towards actually getting me to bother seeing it. And I liked the third movie.

megladon8
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
No idea who Kraven the Hunter is, but having the Lizard appear in the next movie would be a step towards actually getting me to bother seeing it. And I liked the third movie.

Kraven the Hunter is, well, literally a hunter. He's a big-game hunter who wants to kill Spider-Man to prove that he's the best "hunter" in the world (since Spider-Man, you know, "hunts" criminals).

He's pretty badass because he only goes after big game, and he only uses his bare hands - though he does possess superhuman strength from drug use.

It could be a pretty awesome story to have Kraven go after Lizard and/or Spider-Man. I just insist that they do a costume upgrade, because I'm of the opinion that a tiger skin loincloth doesn't communicate "badass" the same way it did when Kraven first came about in the comics.

MadMan
12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Okay, well that sounds like an awesome character. I wonder who would play him, though.

Skitch
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Okay, well that sounds like an awesome character. I wonder who would play him, though.

Hugh Jackman might work.

Spun Lepton
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I want a proper Sandman story. Not that half-assed one we got in part 3.

Fezzik
12-15-2009, 04:38 AM
Hugh Jackman might work.

I was thinking that, but he's already identified with a Marvel character.

What about Clive Owen?

number8
12-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Kraven? No, no, Kraven can only be played by William Forsythe.

Ezee E
12-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Danny Trejo.

The Mike
12-15-2009, 05:27 AM
No idea about who the character is, but Kurt Russell works.

Or, Thomas Jane for younger.

Fezzik
12-15-2009, 03:01 PM
No idea about who the character is, but Kurt Russell works.

Or, Thomas Jane for younger.

If we're allowed to forget his foray as The Punisher, I'd agree about Jane.

Grouchy
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Danny Trejo.
Nice. Forsythe is good, too.

All the other suggestions: no.

MadMan
12-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Danny Trejo.Winner. I'm all in favor of that guy getting a major movie role. Where the hell is my Machete movie, damnit!

William Forsythe is perfectly acceptable as well.

Qrazy
12-16-2009, 03:47 AM
The Lizard should be the next villain. That being said I also like Scorpion, Shocker and Spot somewhat. I agree that for major villains the film shouldn't overstep itself. You can only devote so much time to any given character. However, introducing Kingpin and a bunch of baddies could be kind of fun.

megladon8
12-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Unfortunately having Kingpin is impossible.

When Fox bought the rights to several Marvel characters such as the X-Men, Daredevil and Kingpin, they did it pretty much indefinitely.

The Spider-Man films are by Columbia, so not really any chance of that happening sadly.

number8
12-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I've always liked Kingpin as a Daredevil villain more anyway.

number8
12-17-2009, 03:18 AM
I'm not sure why I went with Forsythe as my first choice instead of the more obvious Ian McShane.

Dukefrukem
12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
SPIDER-MAN Delayed Indefinitely (http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7951:spider-man-4-production-on-indefinite-hold&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73)

Looks like Raimi and the studio heads at Sony Pictures can't agree upon a villain for the film.

Spun Lepton
12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
SPIDER-MAN Delayed Indefinitely (http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7951:spider-man-4-production-on-indefinite-hold&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73)

JUST LET RAIMI DO WHAT HE WANTS! For fuck's sake ... he delivered two great superhero movies, and one shitty one when the studio interfered. This shouldn't take a genius to figure out...

Grouchy
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
On other news, I recorded Spiderman 3 on TV recently and interrupted it often to continue studying. Scene by scene, it's not actually that bad. When you consider the sum of its scenes, it feels like the worst movie script ever actually filmed. And, objectively, it has the WORST ending battle of any superhero movie. The villains just form an alliance out of nowhere and you got a stupid Han Solo moment with Harry Osborn which you can see coming from the beginning of the movie. Sandman's "apology" is also a very silly moment.

Sycophant
12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
All of the non-villain stuff in Spider-Man 3 (the interaction between Peter, Mary Jane, and Harry) make for one of the best movies of 2007 and the best movie in its series. Then there's the villain stuff.

Grouchy
12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
All of the non-villain stuff in Spider-Man 3 (the interaction between Peter, Mary Jane, and Harry) make for one of the best movies of 2007 and the best movie in its series. Then there's the villain stuff.
Eh... I disagree. The hospital scene right after Harry has lost his memory is pretty ridiculous. "You have very good friends" "My best friends. I'd give my life for any of them". What the fuck? Who talks like that?

Sycophant
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Eh... I disagree. The hospital scene right after Harry has lost his memory is pretty ridiculous. "You have very good friends" "My best friends. I'd give my life for any of them". What the fuck? Who talks like that?

No one does. But that's pretty much the best scene of the 21st century.

Grouchy
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Hahah!

Melville
12-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I think you're forgetting this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqKWAc_wt60) and the scene starting at 1:07 in this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJ7D1ysWXU).

Winston*
12-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Is that the pie scene, Melville? If so I love you.

Sycophant
12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
No one does. But that's pretty much one of the best four scenes of the 21st century.

Fixed in light of the information in Melville's post, and my sudden memory of that scene where James Franco is just in his house painting a still life.

Melville
12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Is that the pie scene, Melville? If so I love you.
One's the pie scene, the other's the cookie scene. All the best scenes in the series revolve around food.

Melville
12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Fixed in light of the information in Melville's post, and my sudden memory of that scene where James Franco is just in his house painting a still life.
Yeah, that was awesome. Everything I remember about that movie was great, and yet it somehow sucked (for reasons already pointed out by Grouchy and you).

Sycophant
12-17-2009, 10:37 PM
There were a lot of shitty things in the movie, but there were so many moments of borderline transcendent greatness, that I found it an ultimately satisfying and delightful experience.

Melville
12-17-2009, 11:48 PM
There were a lot of shitty things in the movie, but there were so many moments of borderline transcendent greatness, that I found it an ultimately satisfying and delightful experience.
I do like it overall (I'd probably give it a 6), but the weight of suckiness really dragged down the good stuff.

monolith94
12-17-2009, 11:55 PM
What about Michael Wincott as Kraven?

Skitch
12-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm still completely bewildered by those that loathe part 3 but find part 2 (and its attempts at humor) fantastic. I've always felt Ramis' Spiderman series has had equal faults in the same areas in each part. While I enjoy them, I still find the third the best of the bunch, NOTE, I would still only give that maybe a 7/10.

number8
12-18-2009, 12:20 AM
There are only 4 good scenes in Spider-Man 3:

- Sandman's rebirth.
- Peter Parker dancing down the street.
- Bruce Campbell.
- James Franco eating a burger.

megladon8
12-18-2009, 12:32 AM
What about Michael Wincott as Kraven?

I like it!

And as for 3, it's not just the totally out of left field humor that betrays the tone of the rest of the film, but the editing and pacing of the film is just WRETCHED. They really screwed the pooch with that one. Plus, it doesn't help that the most exciting action scene in a film containing Sandman, Venom and black-suit Spidey is a scene where regular Spidey simply rescues someone falling from a building.

That movie just had "fail" written all over it. The studio should have let Raimi do what he wanted to do, then let someone more passionate about the Venom story do that later and not butcher what Raimi had already completed.

Melville
12-18-2009, 01:25 AM
I've always felt Ramis' Spiderman series has had equal faults in the same areas in each part.
But the primary faults of the third one were the poor pacing, awfully unfocused final battle, and nonsensical plotting (seriously, why does Sandman suddenly join Venom in trying to kill Spider-Man, then immediately afterward act as if he never wanted to kill him?). I didn't see any of those problems in the first two—though I agree that the first one is about on par with the third one: its problems aren't as severe, but its best moments aren't nearly as good.

Dukefrukem
12-18-2009, 12:39 PM
But the primary faults of the third one were the poor pacing, awfully unfocused final battle, and nonsensical plotting (seriously, why does Sandman suddenly join Venom in trying to kill Spider-Man, then immediately afterward act as if he never wanted to kill him?). I didn't see any of those problems in the first two—though I agree that the first one is about on par with the third one: its problems aren't as severe, but its best moments aren't nearly as good.

The final battle was pretty piss poor. You hit the Sandman point on the head. Parker was driven to kill Sandman because he killed his uncle, that was the only thing connecting the two characters because the symbiote increased his anger. Then I guess Sandman got mad when Spiderman fought him in the subway and this was Sandman's way of getting revenge with the ending battle? That's not a very good reason to fight in front of a huge crowd of people when you're trying to protect your daughter.

Dukefrukem
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
before it was a rumor, now it's confirmed.

Three weeks ago, just before the holiday break, IESB.net broke the news that SPIDER-MAN 4 was being delayed indefinitely due to a substantial difference of opinion between director Sam Raimi and Sony Pictures on the direction (and the quality) of the screenplay. Sony initially denied this, but, today, the studio is croonin' a different tune: SPIDER-MAN 4 is on hold

grrrrr

As for the status of John Malkovich and Anne Hathaway being cast as the film's villains, Raimi is reportedly still hot for Malkovich; Hathaway, on the other hand, would cost more than the studio is willing to spend.

AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43545)

Dead & Messed Up
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Raimi should hire Bill Hader's impression of John Malkovich.

megladon8
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Malkovich is officially Vulture. (http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/11/john-malkovich-confirms-vulture-in-spider-man-4/)

Watashi
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
So yeah, Spiderman 4 won't be a sequel, but an entire reboot of the franchise. (http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/urgent-spider-man-4-scrapped-as-is-raimi-and-cast-out-franchise-reboot-planned/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

UPDATES EXCLUSIVE: 'Spider-Man 4' Officially Has No Start Date As Of Today Because Of Script Problems; Sony "Unlikely" To Make Scheduled May 5, 2011, Release Date

BREAKING NEWS! Mike Fleming and I have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity. This means that Raimi and the cast including star Tobey Maguire are out. There will be no Spider-Man 4. Instead, Mike Fleming is told, the studio will focus on a reboot script by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast. All this took place today at meeting on the lot today. An official Sony Pictures news release about it is expected.

My sources tell me that Raimi told Sony Pictures: "I can't make your date. I can't go forward creatively." And, so, once he said "That's it", Sony Pictures co-chairman Pascal and Columbia Pictures' Matt Tolmach decided they didn't want to replace him and instead chose to reboot the franchise. Insiders also tell me that Tobey Maguire heard the news in a phone call with Amy today. I'm told Tobey wasn't upset. "He's made 3 great Spider-Man movies. He's done really well. But he's the kind of guy who, if Sam wanted to go forward, would have been there for Sam and the studio. Absolutely."

Mike Fleming has heard that, from Spidey, Raimi could move to World Of Warcraft, or to The Given Day, that terrific novel by Dennis Lehane, author of Shutter Island and Mystic River. Both are worthy projects, but World Of Warcraft is a huge franchise.

Watashi
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
So who's going to be Parker this time around... Baruchel, Cera, Eisenberg?

You know it's gonna be one of those three.

number8
01-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Dude from Kick-Ass?

Who gives a shit, really. Franchise over.

Ezee E
01-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Spider-Man started the comic book hero genre. I wonder if this new one will be the end of it.

The Mike
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
The kid from Sky High and Forbidden Kingdom. Book it.

megladon8
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Dude from Kick-Ass?

Who gives a shit, really. Franchise over.

I think that could have been said back in 2007. :lol:

Watashi
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Spiderman 3 > Spiderman

megladon8
01-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Spider-Man - 8
Spider-Man 2 - 8
Spider-Man 3 - 4.5

Dead & Messed Up
01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Spiderman 3 > Spiderman

I agree. I find the first film consistently bland and typical origin fluff, while the third, while occasionally awful, has enough incredible scenes to make it more watchable. Of course, both are wildly inferior to the second film, which is incredible.

MadMan
01-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Spiderman-4.5
Spiderman 2-9.0
Spiderman 3-8.0/7.0, depending on my mood

So yeah, Wats and DaMU are correct.

Sxottlan
01-12-2010, 01:14 AM
The official press release from Sony via ComingSoon.net. Kind of humiliating that Raimi had to contribute a comment:

Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the "Spider-Man" franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

"A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three 'Spider-Man' films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning," said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job," said Sam Raimi.

"We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade. This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else's hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable," said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio's chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. "Now everything begins anew, and that's got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can't wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012."

"'Spider-Man' will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."

The studio will have more news about Spider-Man in 2012 in the coming weeks as it prepares for production of the film.

Grouchy
01-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Bah.

[ETM]
01-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Who knows, maybe this time they actually get it right.

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 01:31 AM
I agree. I find the first film consistently bland and typical origin fluff, while the third, while occasionally awful, has enough incredible scenes to make it more watchable. Of course, both are wildly inferior to the second film, which is incredible.
while the least of the franchise, spider-man still probably has the most iconic moment of any 00s superhero film

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7590/spidermankiss.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/spidermankiss.jpg/)

MadMan
01-12-2010, 01:40 AM
;232365']Who knows, maybe this time they actually get it right.Haha, I wouldn't hold my breath.

[ETM]
01-12-2010, 01:49 AM
while the least of the franchise, spider-man still probably has the most iconic moment of any 00s superhero film

Good thing I saw the URL in the post, because I would never have guessed what the "most iconic moment" was.

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 01:52 AM
;232379']Good thing I saw the URL in the post, because I would never have guessed what the "most iconic moment" was.
are there any other moments you think would better fit that descriptor?

number8
01-12-2010, 02:00 AM

James Franco eating a burger.

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 02:02 AM
James Franco eating a burger.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2637z0y.jpg

[ETM]
01-12-2010, 02:03 AM

I haven't really seen that many comic book films, not even the third Spiderman flick, but I guess even not so good films have more iconic moments, especially Dark Knight. Perhaps I just hate the Spidey franchise.

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
;232395']I haven't really seen that many comic book films, not even the third Spiderman flick, but I guess even not so good films have more iconic moments, especially Dark Knight. Perhaps I just hate the Spidey franchise.
from what i remember you do

and name some

Watashi
01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Where the hell are you guys getting a burger from?

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Where the hell are you guys getting a burger from?
it was pie wasn't it

regardless, i knew what 8 was talking about even if the food was wrong

Dead & Messed Up
01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Equally iconic moments: Joker hanging upside down, Iron Man frosting over at the edge of space, Hellboy fighting that huge snail thing, the Comedian crashing out the window, Sandman's birth, Superman holding up the globe, and Josh Lucas deploying the containment foam.

EDIT: And Marv in the electric chair, growling, "Is that the best you can do, you pansies?"

Spun Lepton
01-12-2010, 02:31 AM
I hope they add more grit, because that's what makes a superhero movie good. Grit.

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Equally iconic moments: Joker hanging upside down, Iron Man frosting over at the edge of space, Hellboy fighting that huge snail thing, the Comedian crashing out the window, Sandman's birth, Superman holding up the globe, and Josh Lucas deploying the containment foam.
the joker one is a very good choice

i wouldn't count the comedian one being as it's a direct lift from the comics, but i guess that's just nitpicking on my behalf. and i guess that last one is from hulk? don't really remember that at all, as well as the hellboy one

at least you didn't pick the moment when superman falls back to earth. blergh

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 02:38 AM
I hope they add more grit, because that's what makes a superhero movie good. Grit.
they should adapt reign and have him give mary jane cancer from his radioactive sperm

number8
01-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Playground fight.

Watashi
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
When I think of iconic superhero shots, I think of this and this only:

http://i41.tinypic.com/156qqnq.jpg

Watashi
01-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Also, when it comes to the Spidey flicks, this is a way more iconic moment than the upside down kiss.

http://www.filmjunk.com/images/weblog/spiderman2_2b.jpg

Dead & Messed Up
01-12-2010, 03:08 AM
The iconic Spider-Man moment is the final shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWpawu0HC_4) of the first film. Watching that on the big-screen briefly convinced me that the entire preceding movie was incredible.

It was not, but that shot is absolutely insane. Genius.

BuffaloWilder
01-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Hmmm - I'd like to see something drawn more from Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man series, this time around. Especially if they're going to try to do Venom again - although, none of this ultra-timeline-compression nonsense, with Peter meeting everyone while he's still going through high-school.

megladon8
01-12-2010, 03:28 AM
The iconic Spider-Man moment is the final shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWpawu0HC_4) of the first film. Watching that on the big-screen briefly convinced me that the entire preceding movie was incredible.

It was not, but that shot is absolutely insane. Genius.

Yeah, if there was one thing that the effects team(s) did really well in the trilogy, it was the swinging through the city.

I remember the first time I saw the shot where Spidey swings through the gap between a Mac truck and its cargo (I think this was in part 2) and I was floored.

Spun Lepton
01-12-2010, 03:38 AM
When is the Secret Wars movie going to be made?

Acapelli
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
When I think of iconic superhero shots, I think of this and this only:

http://i41.tinypic.com/156qqnq.jpg
well obviously. that's why i stipulated 00s. nothing in the nolan movies (or any other superhero movies, for me) comes close

Also, when it comes to the Spidey flicks, this is a way more iconic moment than the upside down kiss.

http://www.filmjunk.com/images/weblog/spiderman2_2b.jpg
and like i said it may be nitpicky, but since this was lifted straight out of the comics, it's kind of unfair, because it's already such a well known moment

Morris Schæffer
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Spider-Man - ***
Spider-Man 2 - ***
Spider-Man 3 - **

A reboot? Now that's kinda weird. It's not like it's currently on life support $$$$-wise.

Skitch
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
So let me get this straight...Raimi says he can't make their 2011 deadline creatively, so they part ways to reboot, delaying the film until 2012 anyways? Dur.

number8
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
So let me get this straight...Raimi says he can't make their 2011 deadline creatively, so they part ways to reboot, delaying the film until 2012 anyways? Dur.

They were always going to reboot in 2012, it seems. They just wanted Raimi to deliver a 4th one first.

Skitch
01-12-2010, 11:43 AM
They were always going to reboot in 2012, it seems. They just wanted Raimi to deliver a 4th one first.

I picture a chimpanzee riding around in a kangaroo's pouch, throwing tarot cards at people, weaing a nametag that says "Sony Creative Thinking Manager".

Fezzik
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I picture a chimpanzee riding around in a kangaroo's pouch, throwing tarot cards at people, weaing a nametag that says "Sony Creative Thinking Manager".

Pardon me for doing this, but

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's the most apt description of the thoughts I was having last night :)

Henry Gale
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Strangely, my first reaction to the loss of Raimi, Maguire and likely Dunst wasn't any sadness about that, but instead how it would be weird to see different actors step into more minor roles like J. Jonah Jameson and Aunt May for this new version of the story.

I hope they turn it more towards Gwen Stacy and that sort of stuff early on instead of just pulling re-do of what Raimi did. You know they'll keep ideas like the organic web just to keep it an easy transition, but in the end this really needs to be enough of its own thing to be interesting to anyone. I'm most surprised that Vanderbilt is involved in here after his Spider-Man 4 script had been all but trashed and he was expected to continue the franchise to at least 5 and 6 with the Raimi-universe. Not that any of that's bad, just my worst fear is that in a few months we hear someone like Shawn Levy is attached to direct. Not I can't think of anyone I'd really want to see take over here, but I'd be perfectly fine with a Neil Blomkamp jumping on (as in someone as recognizable as he was pre-2009) to just come in out of nowhere and and do an extremely capable job.

Still, who reboots a franchise after the last installment makes $890 million just a few years before?

Skitch
01-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Pardon me for doing this, but

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's the most apt description of the thoughts I was having last night :)

:lol:

I don't understand why its so hard to come up with competent comic book movies. I think the only people that understand comic books in Hollywood are Christopher Nolan and Brad Bird.

Grouchy
01-13-2010, 07:53 AM
This is a franchise that's not even 10 fucking years old.

Reboot = kangaroos.

Give me my Kraven / Lizard movie.

Sxottlan
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm hovering between indifferent and annoyed with this news.

I was never a huge Spider-Man fan. I've seen all three films, but don't own any of them on DVD. Liked the first one, really liked the second one and then was completely unmoved by the third.

What's really bothering me is how it appears Marvel is so willing to toss out the baby with the bathwater. They think they can do to their movies what they do to their comicbooks: rebooting them every few years. It's that practice that makes me just not give a f*ck. I just don't see how this can work. The first Spider-Man came out not even eight years ago and they're already wanting to start over again?

It didn't seem to work for The Incredible Hulk a few years ago.

Ezee E
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Whatever happened to the Captain America movie anyway? Is that still going on?

number8
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Whatever happened to the Captain America movie anyway? Is that still going on?

One at a time.

B-side
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Time for me to swoop in, declare my indifference to this news, and vanish, not unlike a certain DC comic character.

number8
01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Time for me to swoop in, declare my indifference to this news, and vanish, not unlike a certain DC comic character.

This does not at all sound like G'nort.

Acapelli
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Strangely, my first reaction to the loss of Raimi, Maguire and likely Dunst wasn't any sadness about that, but instead how it would be weird to see different actors step into more minor roles like J. Jonah Jameson and Aunt May for this new version of the story.
didn't really think about this. jk simmons is jjj. i can't see anyone else in that role

What's really bothering me is how it appears Marvel is so willing to toss out the baby with the bathwater. They think they can do to their movies what they do to their comicbooks: rebooting them every few years. It's that practice that makes me just not give a f*ck. I just don't see how this can work. The first Spider-Man came out not even eight years ago and they're already wanting to start over again?
and it isn't marvel's decision to make, it was sony's

Dukefrukem
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
This is a franchise that's not even 10 fucking years old.

Reboot = kangaroos.

Give me my Kraven / Lizard movie.

Read this last night. Very very disappointed.

number8
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Poor Dylan Baker.

Fezzik
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Marvel wouldn't do this if they had any say so. Sony/Columbia own the rights to it and by the terms of the contract they have, they HAVE TO develop projects based on Spider-Man or the rights for the movie version of the character will revert to Disney/Marvel.

So basically, they're going to keep throwing crap at the screen until it doesnt make anymore money, ruin the property then let Disney/Marvel have it back.

Yay.

:frustrated:

number8
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Yep. Same thing with Fox and X-Men.

Sxottlan
01-15-2010, 07:53 AM
and it isn't marvel's decision to make, it was sony's

My mistake.

number8
01-15-2010, 11:37 AM
If Marc Webb gets the franchise, does that mean JGL is Peter?

EvilShoe
01-15-2010, 11:54 AM
We all know Jonathan Lipnicki's the only one who can do the Peter Parker character justice.

Ezee E
01-15-2010, 12:52 PM
If Marc Webb gets the franchise, does that mean JGL is Peter?
Marc Webb has a shot?