PDA

View Full Version : What Would Jesus Buy?

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/whatwouldjesusbuy/trailer/)

Wow. I can't wait.

Spinal
11-07-2007, 08:54 PM
That looks awesome! What a great topic too.

number8
11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
It's pretty damn entertaining. It doesn't exactly offer a lot of insight, but it's kind of an inspiring story.

Reverend Billy is a hoot.

Raiders
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
:|

Mysterious Dude
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Looks very interesting, but I'm not sure the focus on Reverend Billy is the best way to approach this subject.

Raiders
11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
This looks terrible. I consider the Christmas fury to be pretty lame, same as I do the entire existence of Valentine's day. But, what can this film accomplish in terms of thought or discussion? It seems to be looking to address a serious topic by way of mockery. Unless he is entirely different in the fleshed out film, Rev. Billy seems nothing more than an actor playing a misguided lunatic. Imagine how much more beneficial and interesting an actual, level-headed Christian going around and talking to the millions of non-Christians who buy into the cultural phenomenon of Christmas by downing thousands of dollars. Instead, it appears we get a man exorcising a Wal-Mart sign.

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
You're forgetting the part where it's fun.

Raiders
11-07-2007, 09:19 PM

No, I'm just thinking of the part where it should be more than fun. Then again, based on his short-lived TV series and Super Size Me, I don't expect much from Spurlock.

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
No, I'm just thinking of the part where it should be more than fun. Then again, based on his short-lived TV series and Super Size Me, I don't expect much from Spurlock.

I don't think documentaries always need to be more than just fun. I think it's okay for them to just want to entertain, much like some fictional comedies. I think there's room for both. And who knows, this one might be more than just what's on the surface.

number8
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh, he's a bonafide lunatic, all right. He's one of those hippie retail terrorists that get arrested all the time for disrupting shops. The message is pretty inconsistent, but the film is about Reverend Billy and his church more than it is about the shopping epidemic (although they're obviously closely tied).

I'm no Spurlock fan because he attacks his issues with retarded gimmicks and stunts, but this is slightly different. It's more of an expose on people who are so sick of the... uh.. "shopocalypse" that they would actually get on a cross-country bus with a fake Reverend and try to voice a change. It's not meaningful, but it's funny as hell and it's endearing. I won't exactly fault the film for not aiming higher.

Spinal
11-07-2007, 09:27 PM

Exactly. You draw more viewers in that way. I liked Spurlock's TV show more than I did Super Size Me. I'm looking forward to this.

D_Davis
11-07-2007, 09:45 PM
30 Days is awesome.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Why hate on Christmas?

MadMan
11-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I think this film looks kind of funny. And I liked Super Size Me.

Spinal
11-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Why hate on Christmas?

I thought it was pretty clear from the trailer. People go into debt and miss the true point of the holiday. Didn't you ever read How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Same idea.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought it was pretty clear from the trailer. People go into debt and miss the true point of the holiday. Didn't you ever read How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Same idea.
Ah. I didn't even watch the trailer, just read the observations. I never go into debt, just do whatever I can do. It's a great time, because I only buy presents for the people that deserve presents from me. My family and my closest of friends. I never understand why people buy presents for their coworkers, managers, and sisters' best friends' impregnater.

Sycophant
11-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I never understand why people buy presents for their coworkers, managers, and sisters' best friends' impregnater.

Yeah. Impregnater-in-law is about as far as my gift-giving net is cast.

rocus
11-10-2007, 02:54 PM
The use of the Disney Font was a great touch.

number8
11-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm interviewing Reverend Billy! :D

number8
11-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Anybody want me to forward any questions?