PDA

View Full Version : Baghead

megladon8
05-15-2008, 03:41 AM
Trailer. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/baghead/trailer/)

I think it looks interesting.

Kurosawa Fan
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I saw this trailer the other day. I might check it out if the reviews are good.

Boner M
07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I thought this was an excellent film. Funny, wholly original, self-reflexive... and most importantly, it never makes a big deal of it. Really fresh stuff.

Think I'll have to check out The Puffy Chair, despite the negative words here.

megladon8
07-27-2008, 10:56 PM
I didn't realize this film wa part of the "mumblecore" wave.

My interested has dropped significantly.

Boner M
07-28-2008, 01:11 AM
I didn't realize this film wa part of the "mumblecore" wave.

My interested has dropped significantly.
Just admit it's because of my TDK opinions. :P

But really, this film doesn't have much in common with m-core aside from the verite style & some of the castmembers/filmmakers. I can see some of the genre's detractors having the same broad problems with this film as with Bujalski, Katz, Swanberg et al (didn't find the characters and their problems interesting, the style 'uncinematic') but even then they'd have to admit that it's a pretty clever and unclassifiable film.

Also meg, you haven't seen an m-core film, right?

megladon8
07-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Just admit it's because of my TDK opinions. :P

But really, this film doesn't have much in common with m-core aside from the verite style & some of the castmembers/filmmakers. I can see some of the genre's detractors having the same broad problems with this film as with Bujalski, Katz, Swanberg et al (didn't find the characters and their problems interesting, the style 'uncinematic') but even then they'd have to admit that it's a pretty clever and unclassifiable film.

Also meg, you haven't seen an m-core film, right?

Yes, I've seen Funny Ha-Ha and LOL, and I thought they were both dreadful.

Sorry if my accusation of the film being part of the mumblecore movement isn't correct - the most recent trailer I saw for it billed it as "the world's first mumblecore horror film", and that pretty much turned me off the movie right then and there.

Boner M
07-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Yes, I've seen Funny Ha-Ha and LOL, and I thought they were both dreadful.
Oh, OK. I just have a pretty keen memory of what everyone's seen from their sigs, so I assumed you'd hadn't seen a m*mbl*core film and were going with the consensus here.

origami_mustache
07-28-2008, 01:24 AM
uuuugh The Puffy Chair issssss soooooooooo baaaaaaaaad.

...anyways I like the play off of the Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice poster.

http://images.apple.com/moviesxml/s/sony/posters/baghead_l200805121624.jpg

http://www.homevideos.com/movies-covers/bobandcarol.jpg

megladon8
07-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Oh, OK. I just have a pretty keen memory of what everyone's seen from their sigs, so I assumed you'd hadn't seen a m*mbl*core film and were going with the consensus here.

Yeah, I've actually seen them playing on IFC up here several times.

They're just not my bag. I got the feeling they went a little too far trying to make the dialogue seem "real".

Pop Trash
07-28-2008, 01:33 AM
I'll probably see this if my local video emporium gets it on DVD. Even though I don't really "love" any of them I've enjoyed all the mumblecore movies that I've seen. I like the whole "let's just make a DIY movie for shits and giggles" type thing. Baghead seems like the first move out of the "mumblecore" corner they've painted themselves into. At least it has the meta/horror angle going on.

origami_mustache
07-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Trailer. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/baghead/trailer/)

looks like The Strangers only less hilarious.

Pop Trash
07-28-2008, 01:35 AM
But I'd also like to add that The Puffy Chair was my least favorite of the mumbles I've seen, but I still liked it. I like Bujalski's and Katz's stuff the best. Swanberg's weren't bad either, at least for the frank nudity he puts in all his movies. ;)

Ezee E
07-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Yeah, no...

I'll be passing.

Boner M
07-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Yeah, no...

I'll be passing.
I didn't like the trailer but I really liked the film.

Ezee E
07-28-2008, 03:46 AM
I didn't like the trailer but I really liked the film.
If it's along Puffy Chair type, I'd destroy the print while in the theater.

origami_mustache
07-28-2008, 04:06 AM
they are trying to shed their mumblecore roots and embrace the more suitable and much different "hipsters making a movie" genre

...no way I will see this...ever

Boner M
07-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Why were people interested in this until I liked it. Why.

Kurosawa Fan
07-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Why were people interested in this until I liked it. Why.

Despite my deep hatred of mumblecore, I'm still interested.

Want to visit Saginaw now?

Boner M
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Want to visit Saginaw now?
The piece of shit dumpy town? Anything for you, KF.

Kurosawa Fan
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
The piece of shit dumpy town? Anything for you, KF.

I'm way too open with you people.

NickGlass
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm seeing it tonight--mainly because you recommend it, Boner. So, if I dislike it, I'm blaming you.

In general, I like "mumblecore," but I was not a fan of The Puffy Chair. I'm still hopeful, though.