PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Featurette (http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/valkyrie/featurette/)

It's amazing how my distaste for Tom Cruise as a person pushes its way into any project he's involved in, no matter how good it looks. Unfortunate.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 08:39 PM

It's amazing how my distaste for Tom Cruise as a person pushes its way into any project he's involved in, no matter how good it looks. Unfortunate.
It is unfortunate. The featurette looks great.

Watashi
11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Tom Cruise is the main reason I'm excited for it. Well, him and Bryan Singer.

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I'll probably still see it, but I just can't help but be affected when I see him in a film now.

Watashi
11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I'll probably still see it, but I just can't help but be affected when I see him in a film now.

Eh, he's a great actor. I don't care if he's a complete nutso in the real world.

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Eh, he's a great actor. I don't care if he's a complete nutso in the real world.

I wish I didn't. It's not like he's Mel Gibson or anything (I won't watch his films), but I just have trouble supporting people whose personal life I find offensive.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I wish I didn't. It's not like he's Mel Gibson or anything (I won't watch his films), but I just have trouble supporting people whose personal life I find offensive.
If separation of Church and State isn't a problem, why not separation of man and character?

Joking if you couldn't figure that out.

Sycophant
11-07-2007, 08:53 PM

It's amazing how my distaste for Tom Cruise as a person pushes its way into any project he's involved in, no matter how good it looks. Unfortunate.I'm glad I don't have that issue. There's no actor that could keep me away from his or her projects. Perhaps someone will cross that line one day, but it hasn't happened yet.

Duncan
11-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I don't know about actors, but Singer hasn't made a good film since The Usual Suspects.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm glad I don't have that issue. There's no actor that could keep me away from his or her projects. Perhaps someone will cross that line one day, but it hasn't happened yet.
David Spade is the only one that gets close to it in my book. But that's because of his annoying approach and lack of talent. I'd smack him in the face in person most likely.

D_Davis
11-07-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't know about actors, but Singer hasn't made a good film since The Usual Suspects.

And that was all due to the writing. I don't find anything remarkable about Singer as a director, but I do think Tom Cruise is a pretty good actor. He was great in War of the Worlds. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this particular film.

MadMan
11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't know about actors, but Singer hasn't made a good film since The Usual Suspects.I respectively disagree, and put forth as evidence the first two X-Men movies and Superman Returns. I'm not sure if he will be able to handle the material for this flick, but with the cast involved and with what its about my interest is peaked considerably.

Raiders
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Every film of Singer's I have seen since The Usual Suspects has been a better film.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Every film of Singer's I have seen since The Usual Suspects has been a better film.
Apt Pupil?

Raiders
11-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Apt Pupil?

Haven't seen it. I was referring to the three comic book films.

Ezee E
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Haven't seen it. I was referring to the three comic book films.
Ah. Apt Pupil is pretty horrid.

number8
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Both X-Men and X2 are better than Usual Suspects, but not Superman.

megladon8
11-08-2007, 12:54 AM
OK, to catch up...

I like Tom Cruise. He's a nut, but I think he's a good actor, and he's been in some damn fine movies. His performance in Minority Report is probably my favorite.

Bryan Singer is quite talented, and has a great eye. I would probably rank/rate his films as such (keep in mind that I haven't seen The Usual Suspects in probably 5 years)...

X2: X-Men United - 9
Superman Returns - 8.5
X-Men - 8
The Usual Suspects - 8

MadMan
11-08-2007, 01:40 AM
My ratings for the handful of films I've seen from Singer:

The Usual Suspects-10.0
X-Men 2-8.5
Superman Returns-8.0
X-Men-7.0

lovejuice
11-08-2007, 05:33 AM
i have yet encountered a singer's film i really have an aversion for.

Morris Schæffer
11-08-2007, 10:41 AM
The Usual Suspects ***½
X-Men 2 ***
Superman Returns *
X-Men **½

As for Cruise, he's got my sympathies ever since he got squirted in the face at the War of the Worlds premiere in London.

Barty
11-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Trailer is up!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809913399/video/4928963/

MadMan
11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Good trailer, and the film has an awesome cast and looks pretty entertaining. My problems with it: the men who carried out the coup weren't heroes. They were part of the German war machine, a machine that wiped out millions of people. Secondly, does any of them even have a German accent? I didn't know that the German miltary was run by British and Americans :P (This is sarcasm if you can't guess).

Barty
11-08-2007, 09:17 PM
My problems with it: the men who carried out the coup weren't heroes. They were part of the German war machine, a machine that wiped out millions of people.

I think the film will cover this point in depth, but I have to ask, why do you think this? By all accounts the men who participated in this plot hated the Nazi regime for all it's evil. If anything, they used their power in the government to try and sabotage the war effort. I don't see how people who tried to remove Hitler from power should be dismissed as just the same as every other Nazi.

Ezee E
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Disappointing trailer. But I'm there.

Kurosawa Fan
11-08-2007, 11:18 PM
In all honesty, Tom Cruise or no Tom Cruise, I don't think that looks very good.

Watashi
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Good trailer, and the film has an awesome cast and looks pretty entertaining. My problems with it: the men who carried out the coup weren't heroes. They were part of the German war machine, a machine that wiped out millions of people. Secondly, does any of them even have a German accent? I didn't know that the German miltary was run by British and Americans :P (This is sarcasm if you can't guess).

Um, what? Not everyone in Germany participated in Hitler's global domination plans. This is like a foreigner assuming everyone in America agrees with Bush because he's our leader. This is common sense.

Anyway, the trailer looks very good.

Russ
11-09-2007, 02:20 AM
I like Tom Cruise...I think he's a good actor
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/82/cruise1sg0.jpg

I do think Tom Cruise is a pretty good actor.
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/9418/cruise2oq8.jpg

Eh, he's a great actor.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5629/cruise3xr8.jpg

MadMan
11-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Um, what? Not everyone in Germany participated in Hitler's global domination plans. This is like a foreigner assuming everyone in America agrees with Bush because he's our leader. This is common sense.

Anyway, the trailer looks very good.I'm not saying everyone in Germany was involved. Actually bother to read my post next time, as I was talking about the members of the German military. Not all of Germany.

I think the film will cover this point in depth, but I have to ask, why do you think this? By all accounts the men who participated in this plot hated the Nazi regime for all it's evil. If anything, they used their power in the government to try and sabotage the war effort. I don't see how people who tried to remove Hitler from power should be dismissed as just the same as every other Nazi.Okay fair enough, not all were involved. But why didn't they chose to kill the bastard until later in the war? It was only after the cause seemed lost that they realized just how crazy Hitler was and then they tried to remove him. These men were part of the German military and thus up until 1944 when they tried to kill Hitler served, probably without question. While they weren't as guility as those who took part in the genoicide I refuse to call them heroes. They're goddamn Nazis for crying out loud.

Mal
11-09-2007, 05:23 AM
But... they... don't... sound... German...

*bets $50 that Hitler has a southern accent*

[ETM]
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
But why didn't they chose to kill the bastard until later in the war? It was only after the cause seemed lost that they realized just how crazy Hitler was and then they tried to remove him.

Have you even read up on this? The Wikipedia article is very informative.

Sven
11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I bet they're plan doesn't work.

Morris Schæffer
11-09-2007, 07:12 PM
An impressive production no doubt, but something feels off. Perhaps I need to do some reading on the actual event because it sounds so utterly implausible.

Ezee E
04-13-2008, 05:46 PM
pushed back to February '09 apparently.

DavidSeven
04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
pushed back to February '09 apparently.

Fork. Stuck.

megladon8
04-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I've read that test screenings did not go well at all.

Apparently Tom Cruise's attempt at a German accent is absolutely hilarious, and that the actual movie isn't much better.

The reason for the push-back is so Cruise can take voice lessons to try to improve the accent.

EvilShoe
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I've read that test screenings did not go well at all.

Apparently Tom Cruise's attempt at a German accent is absolutely hilarious, and that the actual movie isn't much better.

The reason for the push-back is so Cruise can take voice lessons to try to improve the accent.
Could I get a link for that, please?

megladon8
04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Could I get a link for that, please?

There's no article link, sorry, it was just on the News section of IMDb for April 8th.

Here's the article, copy-and-pasted...

The decision by MGM and United Artists to delay the release of the Tom Cruise starrer Valkyrie until next February has raised a lot of eyebrows in Hollywood. The film, directed by Bryan Singer, was originally set for release on June 27, then moved to October to place it in contention for Oscar nominations -- in particular, one for Cruise, who has been nominated three times (once for best supporting actor, twice for best actor). But the film has been plagued with nasty rumors -- in particular, one claiming that Cruise's German accent in the film is laughably bad. (He plays the leader of a plot by German generals to assassinate Hitler during World War II.) A release in February lessens the film's chances for Oscar recognition, but Clark Woods, MGM's distribution chief, told Daily Variety, "Having seen a lot of the film and how great it is going to play once it's finished, moving into a big holiday weekend is the right move." However, several movie columnists have noted that President's Day is not "a big holiday weekend" and that the studio likely slotted it into that period because the competition will be weak. In the meantime, they added, the delay would give the studio added time to reshoot scenes and allow Cruise to work with a dialect coach to perfect his accent and rerecord some of his lines.

Morris Schæffer
04-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Ugh. Yeah, crapoola accents + eyepatches = catastrophe

So stupid though. Drop the accents or hire German actors. How hard can this be?

EvilShoe
04-14-2008, 06:41 PM
There's no article link, sorry, it was just on the News section of IMDb for April 8th.

Here's the article, copy-and-pasted...
Wow, Cruise sure can't catch a break.

Henry Gale
04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm going to call shenanigans on the accent story seeing as the teaser released a few months ago had all of the actors (Cruise, Branagh, Nighy, Stamp) speaking in their own accents. So unless all of those scenes were shot for promotional use, the way Cruise speaks in the film is his own.

KK2.0
04-14-2008, 11:24 PM
not another nazi movie

megladon8
04-15-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm going to call shenanigans on the accent story seeing as the teaser released a few months ago had all of the actors (Cruise, Branagh, Nighy, Stamp) speaking in their own accents. So unless all of those scenes were shot for promotional use, the way Cruise speaks in the film is his own.

IMDb news is usually pretty reliable.

I imagine it's true. These troubles certainly would account for the delay to February.

Ezee E
04-15-2008, 01:46 PM
IMDb news is usually pretty reliable.

I imagine it's true. These troubles certainly would account for the delay to February.
IMDB isn't reliable if its the only source though. And I haven't heard about that anywhere else.

[ETM]
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
IMDB isn't reliable if its the only source though. And I haven't heard about that anywhere else.

I don't know, the buzz seems to be spreading, although sources are dubious...
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=&q=cruise+%2Baccent+%2Bvalkyrie&btnG=Search+News

Raiders
04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I have a feeling a lot of this might be stemmed from Fox News' first class idiot Roger Friedman denouncing everything Cruise in an effort to undermine the celebrity. He has been quoted as saying the accent was atrocious, and I believe he has only been privy to the trailers, not an actual screening.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,343449,00.html

KK2.0
04-17-2008, 06:46 PM
now i want to see it. :twisted:

Watashi
09-26-2008, 06:18 AM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/Images/stories/2008/sep/valkposter.jpg

Full Trailer (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/25/valkyrie-movie-trailer-3/)

Hey, this actually looks good. Nothing dramatically challenged, but a good fun Nazi flick.

Wryan
09-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Goddamn, did the trailer need so many cuts? Anyway, visually it looks alright. Can't comment on accents. And I think Cruise is a good actor when he really puts himself into it. Born on the Fourth? Magnolia? I don't mean puts his real persona into it, just generally invests in something.

Watashi
10-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Final Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809913399/video/10452652)

Dig the SAW music.

I really can't wait. Looks awesome.

Ezee E
10-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Final Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809913399/video/10452652)

Dig the SAW music.

I really can't wait. Looks awesome.
I thought that was the Saw music.

The movie is looking better with each trailer, drastically.

megladon8
11-01-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm glad they got the actors to just use their usual accents.

Tom Cruise doing a faux-German accent would just be too laughable.

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Very promising! All the "we have to stop Hitler" talk seems a little too thickly laid one, but who knows? Perhaps that was really how determined these guys were.