PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead

berlin wallflower
05-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Who here is a Radiohead fan? (Besides me)

Kurosawa Fan
05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
If by fan, you mean "fanatic", then no. If by fan you mean enjoy their music enough to purchase the albums, then yes.

MadMan
05-06-2008, 04:07 AM
I dig them a great deal, although I've only become a casual fan of theirs over the past year. I own two albums of theirs: In Rainbows and The Bends, and I've heard a third, Hail to the Thief plus a bunch of songs from their other albums. I do want to hear even more of their stuff, if only because they intriegue me and I like their sound. Having seen them perform live on MTV a few times they are one of the handful of bands I would actually go see in concert.

berlin wallflower
05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
You've got to hear the totality of OK Computer and Kid A to really appreciate this band. Those are two of the greatest albums I've ever heard, especially Kid A. I know that some elitists like to say that Radiohead is "phony," that they borrow all their ideas from other groups (Can, Autechre, Charles Mingus, etc.) But that's just being elitist. They take other ideas, but they integrate them into their own unique vision. I would consider them the best pop/rock band since the Beatles...

Benny Profane
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I like Radiohead.

In Rainbows is one of the best new albums I've heard in a long time. I also really like OK Computer.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't care for Yorke's vocals on most of the slower ballad-y type songs. His voice gets so high and falsetto, to listen to it for a 4 minute songs becomes hard to enjoy. I think his vocals work much better on their faster rockers.

Ezee E
05-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I like Radiohead.

In Rainbows is one of the best new albums I've heard in a long time. I also really like OK Computer.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't care for Yorke's vocals on most of the slower ballad-y type songs. His voice gets so high and falsetto, to listen to it for a 4 minute songs becomes hard to enjoy. I think his vocals work much better on their faster rockers.
I agree fully on this. The voice gets to me a lot of times too which is why I'm not a megafan of them. The music and production is beyond fantastic, but sometimes Yorke's vocals will force me to pass.

DSNT
05-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Huge fan. Going to see them Friday in Charlotte and can't wait to hear the In Rainbows live.

Justin
05-07-2008, 03:39 AM
Huge fan. Going to see them Friday in Charlotte and can't wait to hear the In Rainbows live.

Will be at that show as well, cannot wait.

ledfloyd
05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I own all their albums and listen to them frequently. So yes. I'm a fan.

number8
05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm currently watching them perform songs from In Rainbows... IN HD.

(Not that picture quality matters much, I'm not even looking at the TV)

DSNT
05-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Will be at that show as well, cannot wait.
Amazing show. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. My only complaint is that the monitors weren't on and it was hard to see from the lawn. At least we got to see a cool shooting star as compensation.

Thirdmango
05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I own all of Radiohead's albums and I think they're a good band. However I seem to like them differently then most Radiohead fans. I think The Bends is one of the best most well crafted albums out there. I think Paranoid Android is one of the greatest songs of all time. I think overall OK Computer doesn't have much substance besides the amazing Paranoid Android. I think Kid A is a fine album but no where near as good as everyone seems to think it is. Then the rest of their stuff is good, not amazing, but good enough to listen to now and again.

ledfloyd
05-11-2008, 08:24 PM
i listened to OK Computer and Kid A for the first time in awhile yesterday. unbelievable albums.

krazed
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Seeing them Sunday w/ Liars in Dallas.

Pretty excited for that.

Benny Profane
07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Kid A = overrated.

D_Davis
09-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Kid A = overrated.

For sure. It's slightly above average techno/ambient, at best.

I still think their best is The Bends. I saw them about 5 times on this tour, and got to have dinner with them, and I don't think they've ever been better. I always wished that they would record an album with as much energy as they put out live, but I don't think they ever have. As good as they are in the studio, they are 100 times better live. Some of the best shows I've ever been to have been Radiohead shows.

D_Davis
09-14-2008, 05:40 AM
What was that like? And how did you get the opportunity?

A friend of mine became good friends with Mr. Yorke, and my band's friend at the time worked at Capitol Records - they hooked it up. The dinner was cool - it was at the 20 Tank Brewery in San Fran, across from Slims where they played. Some drunk dude thought I was Tom Yorke and he asked me for my autograph. The real Tom Yorke told me to give the dude my autograph and so I signed "Daniel Davis" on his ticket stub. He said he'd keep it forever. It was hilarious.

Great show though. It took seeing them live for me to really appreciate them as musicians. Ed's guitar playing is fantastic, and I've always felt like it was mixed way too low on the albums, and their rhythm section was awesome.

SirNewt
09-14-2008, 08:17 AM
They're a group of talented musicians fronted by a wheezy little icky gnome. How very fitting that their first hit single was "Creep".

SirNewt
09-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Say what?

What?