PDA

View Full Version : Garth Marenghi's Dark Place

megladon8
04-28-2008, 06:46 AM
I just discovered this British comedy last night.

It stars Matthew Holness in his (apparently) popular character, Garth Marenghi, whose hilariously bad horror stories were adapted into a TV series in the '80s.

It's all from 2004, and it's hilarious.

Matt Berry plays Dr. Lucien Sanchez. He has one of the best voices ever, and his delivery of some incredible dialogue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6iJRNHUOT4&feature=related) is priceless.

There's also a great little '80s pop tune they did, called "I'm a One Track Lover" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rNBAMt-kg).

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9655/staticmovdarkplacetvvy4.jpg

Sxottlan
04-28-2008, 06:49 AM
I have that song on disc and listen to it just about every morning on the way to work.

Terrific little show.

megladon8
04-28-2008, 06:50 AM
I have that song on disc and listen to it just about every morning on the way to work.

Terrific little show.

I want Matt Berry to narrate my life.

That guy has the best voice ever.

Kurosawa Fan
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
The funniest show ever created. No debate. That's fact.

MadMan
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
The funniest show ever created. No debate. That's fact.I don't know about that, but it is a fantastic and hilarious show. Reed is my favorite character, and I love how he usually has a shotgun ready at all times. I think my favorite episode might be the one where Liz gets all pissed and develops psychic powers as a result. Simply because it spoofs death scenes and slow motion running.

Kurosawa Fan
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't know about that, but it is a fantastic and hilarious show. I love the Chief-I think he's my favorite character-and how he usually has a shotgun ready at all times. I think my favorite episode might be the one where Liz gets all pissed and develops psychic powers as a result. Simply because it spoofs death scenes and slow motion running.

I'm pretty sure you need to read my post again.

And Dean Learner is a god.

MadMan
04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you need to read my post again.

And Dean Learner is a god.I disregard the fine print at will :P

But yes Dean Learner is awesome.

Sxottlan
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
But yes Dean Learner is awesome.

"Half the reason I got into medicine was for the laughs!"

:lol:

megladon8
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
"As a horror writer, I don't ask for much. I just hope I've changed the way you think about life."

SpaceOddity
05-01-2008, 08:52 AM
From the website:

Greetings, pilgrim. I am Garth Marenghi, sculptor of nightmares. I hope you are sitting un-comfortably at your pc / laptop. Congrats: you have unearthed the official website of my imaginata. As many of my readership can attest, I invented the internet back in 1976 with my short story 'Mindgrid'. Many of my predictions, alas, have since borne sorry fruit, and I, too, have spent many troubled hours distracted by erotica.

*giggles*

megladon8
05-02-2008, 01:47 AM
So what happened between you and this Renwick customer? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6iJRNHUOT4&feature=related)

MadMan
05-02-2008, 02:49 AM
From the website:

Greetings, pilgrim. I am Garth Marenghi, sculptor of nightmares. I hope you are sitting un-comfortably at your pc / laptop. Congrats: you have unearthed the official website of my imaginata. As many of my readership can attest, I invented the internet back in 1976 with my short story 'Mindgrid'. Many of my predictions, alas, have since borne sorry fruit, and I, too, have spent many troubled hours distracted by erotica.

*giggles*:lol: That is brilliant.

SpaceOddity
05-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Website again:

I’m not a scientist. I’m a fabulist, a shaman, a ferryman, a dreamweaver. But that’s not to say I don’t put forward scientific propositions. In Black Fang, I dared to suggest that if pollution kept progressing at its current rate, rats would soon be able to drive buses. This week, as I sauntered through Soho, I witnessed a rodent sniffing curiously round a discarded rollerskate. Are we really so far away from my apocalyptic vision? I fear not friend.

This show is light years ahead of its time. If I didn’t need to write the programme off as a tax loss I probably wouldn’t have had it shown till the fourth millennium, a time when Man’s evolution might mean He’s ready to fully appreciate my gift.

My path has no beginning, it has no end – it’s part of the great dance. I’m folklore now. :D

origami_mustache
05-02-2008, 06:55 AM
haha my friend is obsessed with this show...I've seen a few episodes and it is pretty hilarious and impressive how well they capture the 80s aesthetic.